V11 Engine Hot Rodding advice

Kuni0

17 hours ago, ScuRoo said:

F9CED04F-352E-45FE-BC00-4AA74FE4F948.jpeg

F5234DDC-81BA-48A9-95F3-062F36036D76.jpeg

...which I’ve been experimenting with on my own bikes. 
There’s power gains to be had absolutely - but the increased NVH harshness levels put me off for now. I don’t get how to knock back the ECU timing to compensate which might help - so with my V11 I’ll return again to this later when able to do so. Not willing to access more power at the expense of more harshness.

However, with my V50 Monza the prechamber ignition gives it much more noticeable verve & impetus with just a nice corresponding thrum thru the handlebars. The Monza feels like it’s kinda more awake & willing to rev to redline.

Images?

Ciao

10 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Images?

Ciao

DF66C2AB-4A3C-40EB-8B85-BEB3A0D7B7F7.jpeg
Here you go LP

I believe the one you’re after is below...

7EC3FD73-F349-4010-99AC-DDEEF807D2B5.jpeg

One of the (many) ways I view passive prechamber ignition - is it’s like having the ability of changing the combustion chamber shape in order to improve flame front deflagration efficiencies

...without changing the shape of the combustion chamber!

In otherwords - it removes one negative of the hemi chamber shape - whilst keep its benefits.
Too strong & harsh tho.

Although I’m not yet satisfied that - some or much - of the NVH harshness I’ve experienced isn’t simply because ignition is in effect too advanced for the PPI characteristics

Yet with the smaller capacity Heron head Monza - from say 3500-4000 rpm it’s just like boost coming on strong & unleashed it really ups & flys compared to its normal character imo.

1 hour ago, ScuRoo said:

DF66C2AB-4A3C-40EB-8B85-BEB3A0D7B7F7.jpeg
Here you go LP

I believe the one you’re after is below...

7EC3FD73-F349-4010-99AC-DDEEF807D2B5.jpeg

One of the (many) ways I view passive prechamber ignition - is it’s like having the ability of changing the combustion chamber shape in order to improve flame front deflagration efficiencies

...without changing the shape of the combustion chamber!

In otherwords - it removes one negative of the hemi chamber shape - whilst keep its benefits.
Too strong & harsh tho.

Although I’m not yet satisfied that - some or much - of the NVH harshness I’ve experienced isn’t simply because ignition is in effect too advanced for the PPI characteristics

Yet with the smaller capacity Heron head Monza - from say 3500-4000 rpm it’s just like boost coming on strong & unleashed it really ups & flys compared to its normal character imo.

I meant images of the modifications to your bike.

Ciao

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...

Kevin Cameron’s latest interesting article.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/blogs/ask-kevin/lean-fuel-mixtures-for-motorcycles/

The Monza is still running better on its passive TJI - more vivacity & power with no problems  so far - apart from always needing choke to start whether hot or cold.

Anyone know if there is any information on how to easily retard the timing on a 15RC V11 - or is remap required?

• 11 months later...
On 11/12/2019 at 3:44 PM, Pressureangle said:

As an tangential anecdote;

I play with classic cars, and have a good friend in the restoration business. Primarily he's concerned with Chrysler products of the 60s and 70s. 
One of his regular customers asked if he'd return to service a pristine MG Midget that had been parked for a decade. He asked if I'd help, because I have some experience with English cars and bikes. After the typical fuel system service and fluid changes, it came to life quite easily, all under the criticism of my friend. "Go-cart" "Tiny motor" "Why would anyone bother?".
Needless to say, he drove it around for a full week, taking it everywhere including a car show. When I pressed him to admit it was a good time, of course he did; What we isolated as the true source of the fun was that you could drive the car about as hard as you cared to, without risking limb and license. Banging up through third gear with your foot on the floor and the top down is different but almost as good as blowing the tires up on a '70 440 'Cuda, and a lot less likely to attract points to your license.
Point being, I spent most of my life searching for performance improvements in everything I ever owned, only to discover that a great deal of it would have been better spent riding what was there instead of working on it. 
A 'Guzzi is what it is. Trying to make it something else may be fun and satisfying, but if the actual research and development isn't a good time in itself, it isn't worth the loss of actual riding time.  I ask myself, "How often am I actually at WOT?" Rarely. I do, however, take the time to fine tune what's there and I separate projects now so I can pursue what I feel like at the moment. 
<shrug> Defining the ends to our means is important.

An older post, but sage advice!

And it's also important to realize that the further one deviates into custom territory, the less shared experiences and advice are available to iron out the details.

I've learned to live by and offer similar advice to those first acquiring a vintage home, keen to immediately begin changing everything... to instead take a breath and live with the house for a little while.  They may soon begin to like it for what it is, and realize that changing it would forever undo what was unique and special about it.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

the true source of the fun was that you could drive the car about as hard as you cared to, without risking limb and license.

That's a quote from the Pressureangle post that Al quoted.

It is also the reason why I love my V35 Imola. 40 years old, and there's often work to be done on it.

But...

The speed limit on country roads here is 100 km/h, i.e. about 60 m.p.h. That bike is built for that sort of speed. You can hammer it, use it's potential, have enormous amounts of fun, and never get beyond the pale. :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, audiomick said:

That's a quote from the Pressureangle post that Al quoted.

It is also the reason why I love my V35 Imola. 40 years old, and there's often work to be done on it.

But...

The speed limit on country roads here is 100 km/h, i.e. about 60 m.p.h. That bike is built for that sort of speed. You can hammer it, use it's potential, have enormous amounts of fun, and never get beyond the pale. :)

" . . . enormous amounts of fun " to be had around the 100 km/h mark.

Right at 4,000 rpm in our 6speeder's fifth gear . . . :race:

IMG_2139.JPG.jpeg

Yes, absolutely correct. But the V11 has a lot more in reserve, and the temptation to use it is very strong. :whistle:

On the V35 I've seen 145 km/h on the Sat-nav on a long, straight stretch, maybe with a touch of tail-wind. That's all it can do. That means, at 100 km/h your not at the start of the fun, but rather right in there with not much potential to get really silly. That has its advantages. :)

Having said that, in town the license is definitely in danger on the little darling, because she wants to get up there where she's happy, but in town the speed limit is 50 km/h. :huh2: