V11 Daytona project

Lucky Phil

Was thinking that maybe the factory serial numbered the warranted trannies to see if any of them came back, or what issues they developed. Who knows?

1 hour ago, docc said:

I have a warranty gearbox. Never noticed the serialization. Where is it on the bell housing?

1200 oclock docc. Number doesnt match the engine. I'll get an image later.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

1200 oclock docc. Number doesnt match the engine. I'll get an image later.

Ciao

Aye. That is buried under my throttle body rail. Probably no way I can see that with the Sport assembled.

And I would rather not see her otherwise anytime soon . . .  :race:

Here you go docc. Trying to figure a way to get the engine off the bench. My bench is 1200mm high and this engine is 70kg and awkward plus after 25 years of lifting heavy jet wheels and brakes and 90 kva generators and CSD's off jet engines my back is a little delicate. Oh and 2 broken vertebrae from PI turn 12. I need to use brains not brawn to achieve outcomes these days so its a slow process figuring it out.  

DSC00885.JPG

Old engines new home for the time being.

DSC00887.JPG

DSC00886.JPG

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What's the ceiling look like? Do you have a chain hoist? A car engine "cherry picker" would be near ideal, but no help setting it in the frame.

3 minutes ago, po18guy said:

What's the ceiling look like? Do you have a chain hoist? A car engine "cherry picker" would be near ideal, but no help setting it in the frame.

Ceilings all lined I'm afraid, not my doing. Otherwise it would be a winch from the rafters. Thought of a car engine trolly hoist but need to see how high the arm will lift off the floor. Once I get it on the ground I'm fine.

Ciao

I have an equally bad back. In 2008, Son and I had to unload a 600 pound air compressor from a rental truck onto the concrete at my garage. The lift on the truck would only hold it lying down, so there was quite a bit of estimating and pondering, but we finally got it to do a controlled slide onto a pallet. We then crab-walked it in to the garage. No idea what we would have done had it a mind of its own. I suppose I would be posting on a wheelchair forum.

As an aside. in the early/mid 2000s I bought a MG 850 LeMans that was shipped in a crate from out of state.  I was told the shipping company would not help getting it off the truck.  So I built a platform out of leftover railroad ties from the front retaining wall and used a come along to yank the crate out of the truck.  I then proceeded to deconstruct the platform by hand, tie by tie.  Well, on one lift I gave myself a hernia.  Oops.  As it turned out, the LeMans had two dented wheels (they were pretty soft in those days), and by the time I acquired two new ones (no small feat even back then), I lost interest and sold the bike on, alas.  It was only a year or so ago that I filled the void (2004 Sport Naked).  Just another MG trivia tale.  ^_^

• Like 1

13 hours ago, po18guy said:

I have an equally bad back. In 2008, Son and I had to unload a 600 pound air compressor from a rental truck onto the concrete at my garage. The lift on the truck would only hold it lying down, so there was quite a bit of estimating and pondering, but we finally got it to do a controlled slide onto a pallet. We then crab-walked it in to the garage. No idea what we would have done had it a mind of its own. I suppose I would be posting on a wheelchair forum.

Yes as you get older and the wear and tear and injuries add up you need to start thinking your way through these things instead of using brute force which you no longer have. I have a plan which involves using the bike lifter bench at full height and the ramp from the bench to the lifter. Get it on the lifter and lower it down. The lifter actuator has now decided to blow its seal of course so that will probably need fixing first.

Ciao

Progress,got my bench back. Stopped procrastinating and used the ramp method to transfer the engine to the lifter. Need to remove the TB's and fit the gearbox and offer the lot up to the frame.

DSC00891.JPG

Ciao

• Like 4

21 hours ago, docc said:

So, my silver warranty gearbox, probably made in 2002, does not have the inscription on the bell housing.

Ok, no idea what the markings are then. The 2002 gearbox I'm using behind the Daytona engine has nout markings.

Ciao

So the engine and gearbox are together after some confusion regarding a couple of the mounting studs. Seemed i'd lost 2 of the shorter studs but then realised the engine is originally mated up to a 5 speed box and the shorter studs were different. I robbed them off the 2 valve engine. The clutch push rod length seemed fine compared to the original and I used some dry molycote lube painted onto the clutch and gearbox splines sparingly. I use this on Ducati dry clutches as well to ease the wear factor.

My neutral switch lasted zero time as it fell apart when my finger pushed sideways against it fitting the gearbox. Robbed that off the original gearbox as well. 

DSC00900.JPG

Ciao

• Like 1