V11 Daytona project

Lucky Phil

3 hours ago, docc said:

The bodywork lines look fabulous, LuckyPhil! Welldone!  :thumbsup:

What will be for airbox? Pods?

No docc, no pods, I hate pods. I may need to lose the airbox snorkels as there is so little real estate even with the tank lifted. I need to move the regulator under the tank which is not my preference but with the oil cooler and hoses finding a spot for the reg on the front will mean long clumsy brackets that will be prone to cracking.

So I've removed the fuel filter and am currently looking for a much smaller option there and with the tank raised there is more room and air circulation under the tank so the reg should be fine. I've seen Ducati regs mounted in much worse standard locations over the years. I'm looking for an efi fuel filter 50mm dia with 8mm/5/16 barbs that turn 90 degrees on each end. Maximum overall width 130mm. Its out there somewhere just need to find it.

The other issue is the holes in the airbox for the Centauro inlet trumpets dont line up so I might either raise the hole by 10mm and plastic weld the bottom of the hole again or modify the inlet trumpets to the correct angle. Dont know if a Centauro airbox would work better and some stuff like intake trumpets are very hard to find so cutting them up is not my favourite option.

Things to muse on.

BTW the clutch seems to work:)

Ciao 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

... I'm looking for an efi fuel filter 50mm dia with 8mm/5/16 barbs that turn 90 degrees on each end. Maximum overall width 130mm. Its out there somewhere just need to find it.

Have you looked at the FRAM Fuel Filter G3895? Both barbs are at one end. Dimensions below in inches.

33463 WIX or F53190 PUROLATOR might be similar.

Height 4.969, Outside Diameter 2.172, Inlet Line Size 5/16 Tube Connector, Outlet Line Size 5/16 Tube Connector, Construction Metal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 2:55 AM, Lucky Phil said:

The other issue is the holes in the airbox for the Centauro inlet trumpets dont line up so I might either raise the hole by 10mm and plastic weld the bottom of the hole again or modify the inlet trumpets to the correct angle. Dont know if a Centauro airbox would work better and some stuff like intake trumpets are very hard to find so cutting them up is not my favourite option.

Things to muse on.

BTW the clutch seems to work:)

Ciao 

The centauro and v11 airbox look the same, only the centy one doesn't have the mountpoints for the sidecovers.

Do you have the centauro trumpets?

I did cut a centy airbox once..... 

3 hours ago, Paul Minnaert said:

The centauro and v11 airbox look the same, only the centy one doesn't have the mountpoints for the sidecovers.

Do you have the centauro trumpets?

I did cut a centy airbox once..... 

Yes Paul I have the Centy trumpets. I wouldnt mind trying a Centy airbox to see if it fits. I'm sure I could just use Ducati style well nuts to secure the side covers. I've got a few images of this V11 conversion and the airbox and trumpets look quite neat but I'm just not sure which way they have gone, modified V11 box or a centy box with mounts for the side covers which I do want to retain.

I'm also not sure if the Daytona inlet trumpets are a different shape to the Centy ones and whether or not this would make using the V11 airbox easier. The part numbers are different. Funnily enough the Centy and the MGS-01 trumpets are the same part number.

The MGS,Daytona and the Centy all have different numbers for the inlet manifolds but this may be due to the different colours,not sure. Any enlightenment would be appreciated. 

Ciao 

real daytona has complete different airbox. But daytona RS has airbox like the sport 1100i, the centy has different airbox. But that looks like the v11 sport one. In my parts list from centy en daytona RS the intake hoses have same part number, and also the part (small hose) fitting it in the airbox is the same. I just looked in my shed, and have two centy/v11 boxes, who are same size, bit not the same, one has air temp mounting top right, just under the filter. other not. I might have one more, in the garage 3 miles from home. Do not compare real daytona1000 parts thats different sure.

The centy airbox was made for when engine was 10mm to the right, now it's back center, so that one is mising the 10mm alignment too. I don't know if the intake from 2v and 4v is different. But Know of a lot of 4v to 2v frame conversions, and they never mentioned it. So aren't you trying to make it to perfect? 

We are talking about the 10mm horizontal alignment?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Minnaert said:

real daytona has complete different airbox. But daytona RS has airbox like the sport 1100i, the centy has different airbox. But that looks like the v11 sport one. In my parts list from centy en daytona RS the intake hoses have same part number, and also the part (small hose) fitting it in the airbox is the same. I just looked in my shed, and have two centy/v11 boxes, who are same size, bit not the same, one has air temp mounting top right, just under the filter. other not. I might have one more, in the garage 3 miles from home. Do not compare real daytona1000 parts thats different sure.

The centy airbox was made for when engine was 10mm to the right, now it's back center, so that one is mising the 10mm alignment too. I don't know if the intake from 2v and 4v is different. But Know of a lot of 4v to 2v frame conversions, and they never mentioned it. So aren't you trying to make it to perfect? 

We are talking about the 10mm horizontal alignment?  

I totally forgot about the engine offset effect on the airbox position in the frame, thanks for that info.

The 10mm misalignment is the vertical alignment not the horizontal.

So as far as I can see with the centy engine in the frame with the centy inlet trumpets and the V11 airbox fitted the airbox trumpet holes are going to need to be raised around 10mm. The V11 airbox holes are also a little smaller than the centy airbox holes due to the centy trumpets being larger in diameter than the V11. So the airbox holes need to be 10mm higher and around 5mm larger in diameter with the engine fitted with centy inlet manifolds(alloy manifolds bolted to the head) centy throttle bodies and centy plastic inlet trumpets. If there is some other combination of inlet manifolds and or trumpets that will mean I dont need to raise the holes in the V11 airbox it would be great to know. Opening up the airbox holes diameter by 5mm is easy but also raising them 10mm is tricky and will require plastic welding.

Here's an image of the installation Paul to give you a better understanding of the issue. I've cut a paper disk the size and position of the hole required to be in the V11 airbox to mate with the Centy throttle bodies and plastic inlet trumpets and taped it to the V11 airbox. Note the area that will need to be filled with palstic weld from the 3 to 7 oclock position. As far as I can see anyway unless you have info from the others you know that have done the conversion?

It seems some of the 4v/2v conversions also went with pod filters. Not all, but some I have images of. The ones that didnt my images dont have enough resolution to pick the details.

DSC00912.JPG

Ciao 

The two airboxes (v11 and centy )I have here, have same diameter holes in them, but one has them 3mm higher than the other.  Whats against lifting the airbox a bit, the tank is higher too. 

The mounting rubbers in the airbox are the same for v11 and centy so the holes should be too I think.   If you put the trumpets in from the inside airbox, with the rubbers, doesn't it fit, the rubbers take some play too. 

1 hour ago, Paul Minnaert said:

The two airboxes (v11 and centy )I have here, have same diameter holes in them, but one has them 3mm higher than the other.  Whats against lifting the airbox a bit, the tank is higher too. 

The mounting rubbers in the airbox are the same for v11 and centy so the holes should be too I think.   If you put the trumpets in from the inside airbox, with the rubbers, doesn't it fit, the rubbers take some play too. 

Thanks for that info Paul, I'm working a lot by scaling dimensions of internet images as I dont have all the various parts in my hand.

The part numbers for the airbox rubbers is different between the centy and the V11 and the diameter of the centy inlet trumpets is 9.5mm larger than the V11. I tried fitting the V11 rubbers over the centy trumpets and you can stretch them to fit but I think they are just too tight to work when fitted to the box. I have a pair of new centy rubbers coming so that should be ok.

You may be able to lift the airbox a fraction if the holes are only 3mm difference as you say but you cant lift the airbox very much as the rear end of the side covers will then interfere with the tail unit. Without the side covers fitted you could probably space the airbox up quite a bit.  

I have fitted the trumpets in the airbox without the rubbers and then tried to connect it to the throttle body and it seems to be a long way out. As I said it appears to be around 10mm too low but I havent started opening the hole in the airbox as I wanted to make sure I had covered all the possibilities before I started hacking away at the box. Thought I might be missing an obvious solution by just swapping out parts. 

Thanks for providing me the info and if you can think of anything else or find out anymore from your contacts in the future I'd appreciate it. The purpose of me posting this is to share the process and solutions for others to maybe of use in the future.

I was using this image of the centy airbox to scale the openings.

centauro.jpg

Ciao 

At the bottom in the airbox is the partnumber embossed in. The rubbers have same partnumbers for both. 

Are you in a fire zone?  My daughter left Australia because of it burning everywhere.  She worked 3 month in Melborne preparing for a long holiday, and when they started that, the fires started. She went to Argentinia now.  

11 minutes ago, Paul Minnaert said:

At the bottom in the airbox is the partnumber embossed in. The rubbers have same partnumbers for both. 

Are you in a fire zone?  My daughter left Australia because of it burning everywhere.  She worked 3 month in Melborne preparing for a long holiday, and when they started that, the fires started. She went to Argentinia now.  

Ok thats odd as my parts books show different numbers between the models. Maybe they changed over the years or i'm missing something.

I'm in a semi rural area to the NE of the city ( Melbourne) and so far the fires have not been an issue. NSW and the Sydney surrounds have been hit the worst with fires just about everywhere. The last 2 days here at home have been in the low 40's C with gusty hot northerly winds. Its like living in an oven but thankfully no fires.

Hopefully its a bit more relaxing for your daughter in Argentina. Better here in Melbourne for weather in the late spring and Autumn I think.

Ciao

2 hours ago, Paul Minnaert said:

19a523da2418bd7bc71ec469c73c3b03.jpg left one is 02114000 = centauro, right is from v11. Bottom to hole is 10 mm on left one 16 right. Diameter is same

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Brilliant Paul thanks for that the image is perfect for comparison. I havent actually looked at the left side differences I've only looked at the right. Any chance you could take an image of the right side of the centy airbox from the same perspective?

Ciao