V11 Daytona project

Lucky Phil

Phil, getting closer and closer. Wondering if the whole mess would fit better in a long frame? Nevertheless, we use what we have. 

3 hours ago, po18guy said:

Phil, getting closer and closer. Wondering if the whole mess would fit better in a long frame? Nevertheless, we use what we have. 

You may be onto something there, I hadn't considered that. The extra 20 mm might come in useful with regards to fitting everything in although I dont know whether the earlier front frame mount from the short frame that's needed will fit the longer frame.  

Ciao

Got the swingarm and battery tray and remote reservoir painted in 2 pack again. I wanted them in satin black and this is a little less matt than I wanted but that's what happens when you dont get to add the matting agent yourself and do a test spray. 

I am painting outside under a shaded deck and although the dust aspect has been surprisingly fine the contrast in the light has caused some difficulties. One direction I'm looking into the daylight and the other I'm looking into the shade. The shade direction allows you to see better than into the open and this caused me to get the paint on a bit thin in a couple of areas which was very annoying. So next day I went back and gave those areas another hit. Here's a problem you get with any 2 pack non gloss paint, a variable degree of matt finish depending on paint/hardener/thinning ratio and weather conditions, especially humidity. I got a slight variation in the level of satin with the second attempt. Its not a hit you in the face or that noticeable but to those that are going to paint in less than gloss you need to get it done in one go. I knew about this and was a little annoyed when I realised I'd missed a few spots but there you go. others can avoid the mistake. Anyway its about 200% better than what it was.

Trying to decide whether or not to Paint the bevel box the same colour as the engine or leave it in silver. It's a big ugly thing and I'm concerned painting it grey might exaggerate its size next to the silver wheel. 

DSC00962.JPG

Ciao

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

Looks great from here Phil. Would a clear coat help your perception or is that something you can't do at this point with 2pack? 

No you could clear over it in a gloss or matt clear but I'm tired of the painting process. If I had a large indoor area I could make into a sort of spray area like Chuck did in his hangar I'd be more enthusiastic but after painting all the engine cases and baking them then the side plates and front frame and now the swing arm in the open and needing to wait on conditions to be right etc I'll call the painting done. Considering the conditions and my level of expertise its come out rather well but the arm could be better. 8.5 out of 10 on the arm.

Painting is often a make or break on a restoration and it looks great when it's done well but it's a lot of work to get the really good results and its a major help if you dont need to worry about wind,temperature,airborne dirt,locking up the dog,washing on the line,over spray annoying the neighbour etc.

Ciao   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That swingarm looks awkward to get into all the nooks + angles alright.  

I’d agree to the black to ‘soften’ the presence of the bevel box- although, if Sir is feeling saucily artistic, maybe hand paint a wee Guzzi eagle on the lower flat area!? :grin::mg:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stewgnu said:

I’d agree to the black to ‘soften’ the presence of the bevel box- although, if Sir is feeling saucily artistic, maybe hand paint a wee Guzzi eagle on the lower flat area!? :grin::mg:

Uhh, that won't play well with Lucky Phil. I trolled him a couple of times when I did the Aero Lario build. :grin::rasta: He did not like my gaudy gaiters at all..

20160513_152528.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, stewgnu said:

Yes tubular structures are hard to paint without missing sections. I once painted my Ducati TT2 race bike frame and it was even more difficult. Esp when you do the second coat,its easy to have some colour on there but you miss the second coat and the primer is just showing through.

Ciao

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

Uhh, that won't play well with Lucky Phil. I trolled him a couple of times when I did the Aero Lario build. :grin::rasta: He did not like my gaudy gaiters at all..

20160513_152528.jpg

Ha yes Chuck, too much red. I'm trying to decide whether painting the bevel box a the dark colour from the silver will exaggerate its bulk too much. I think the silver against the silver wheel helps hide the size a bit. No fancy logo's on it for me either, dont want the eye drawn to it at all.

Ciao 

58 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I wanted everything to be red and black except for the motive unit. That way, it draws your eye to the big jugs. I likes big jugs..:grin:

Yep black gators would have been good Chuck:)

Mine are bigger than yours:P

DSC00956.JPG

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1