V11 Daytona project

Lucky Phil

All three screws go into the airbox, right? Any contact with the lower rear edge of the tank? There is/was a foam piece almost glued there to prevent.....something. Too bad the covers are already painted. Could open the holes to 8 or 10mm, use rubber grommets and a flanged screw to cover the entire mess. My other experience has been with a Kwacker in which the side panels mount to fuel tank (post), frame (screw) and tail section (2 posts) - all of which have a mind of their own. 

17 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

:luigi:  "Old tools are like old friends that you have shared times with."  :oldgit: - LuckyPhil

I didn't want myself to be able saying this, so I left my wife.

My father, and his brothers, were carpenters by trade. They made their livings other ways, but their trade was always evident.  Holding and handling their tools, now, is  a special feeling.

I remember my dear friend, "Goofman," saying, "To know a tool, and to use it well, in the service of others, perhaps that is enough." :luigi:

That we can share our efforts and interests, in these times, is extraordinary. Dear thanks to Jaap for these forums and LuckyPhil for this awesome thread!

• Like 2

On 3/30/2020 at 2:15 AM, Lucky Phil said:

Ticked another couple of boxes today,added gearbox oil and reworked the seat. I found with the tank raised and in a rearward most position dictated by the aft mount slot that the seat unit wouldn't latch down. Turns out I needed to trim 10mm from the front of the seat base so I removed the staples that secure the front of the cover and removed 10mm from the ctr tapering to zero about 50mm from the corner. Re-stapled the cover back into place and were're golden. I also shimmed the seat latch up a few mm so it latches nicely now. It always required a bit of a shove down to latch properly but its quite nice now.

Seem to be getting close to the finish line now, refit the tail under tray and rear plate holder and machine up the final tank rear mount spacer and fit the oil pressure gauge for the initial start. I'll wait a little for that and collect my thoughts and go through a check list of double checking stuff.

Ciao

Sounding check . . . Gotta be close to a start-up video! :helmet:

At the risk of being repetitive, here is the final product. The seat fitment and sidecovers finalised,the rack supports removed and everything bolted down and fitted up in the final position.

The only tasks remaining are the frame to airbox breather tube for which I have some alloy AN fittings coming for, the tank cap drain line for which I have sourced an accessible joiner to make tank removal easier and hook up the oil pressure gauge for the initial start.

I was hoping to maybe get a bin. file from Paul Minnaert before I did the first start. He asked me to let him know when I was ready to fire it up but he's currently in serious condition with the Corona virus so he has bigger things to concern himself with naturally. Hoping he's doing better,anyone have updates on how he's doing?. It would be nice to have a Centauro specific bin. file for the initial start so when he's over this period of illness he may be able to assist with that or something closer than the std V11 map.

Here's what started this journey for me. Sorry but I've never been able to find a better image of this bike but I have had it on an A4 print in my garage for years and dreaming.

I dont know what muffler hangers he's used but I wouldn't mind knowing as I quite like the higher mounting. 

attachment.php?attachmentid=154840&stc=1

DSC01064.JPG

DSC01065.JPG

DSC01066.JPG

Ciao

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I dont know what muffler hangers he's used but I wouldn't mind knowing as I quite like the higher mounting. 

I think the Daytona hangars, and the V11 titanium kit hangars, are shorter than the standard V11 hangars.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19278-hi-ti/&tab=comments#comment-207822

4 hours ago, MartyNZ said:

I think the Daytona hangars, and the V11 titanium kit hangars, are shorter than the standard V11 hangars.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/19278-hi-ti/&tab=comments#comment-207822

And the Sport 1100 hangers, pricey but available :rasta:.

Cheers tom.

12 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

At the risk of being repetitive, here is the final product. The seat fitment and sidecovers finalised,the rack supports removed and everything bolted down and fitted up in the final position.

The only tasks remaining are the frame to airbox breather tube for which I have some alloy AN fittings coming for, the tank cap drain line for which I have sourced an accessible joiner to make tank removal easier and hook up the oil pressure gauge for the initial start.

I was hoping to maybe get a bin. file from Paul Minnaert before I did the first start. He asked me to let him know when I was ready to fire it up but he's currently in serious condition with the Corona virus so he has bigger things to concern himself with naturally. Hoping he's doing better,anyone have updates on how he's doing?. It would be nice to have a Centauro specific bin. file for the initial start so when he's over this period of illness he may be able to assist with that or something closer than the std V11 map.

Here's what started this journey for me. Sorry but I've never been able to find a better image of this bike but I have had it on an A4 print in my garage for years and dreaming.

attachment.php?attachmentid=154840&stc=1

DSC01064.JPG

DSC01065.JPG

DSC01066.JPG

Ciao

Hello, Phil

I believe that they are the muffler hangers from a  MG Titatium Exhaust kit. 

Check a photo of this kit.

Well done for your project, it's perfect and very well documented on every detail, for us all.

Thank you.

Titanium exhaust kit.jpg

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

yes. the high mount hangers from the V11 Ti kit ARE the very ones used on the early Sport 1100. I purchased the latter some years ago and have compared them to the ones from the Ti kit.

As if Guzzi would tool up to make something new.. :rasta:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, footgoose said:

yes. the high mount hangers from the V11 Ti kit ARE the very ones used on the early Sport 1100. I purchased the latter some years ago and have compared them to the ones from the Ti kit.

Ok cool thanks. I have some high mount brackets in the workshop I bought years ago but from memory the location mounts are wrong. I must dig them out and check what they are and why they dont work.

Ciao

38 minutes ago, footgoose said:

ah yes, there is a plate with the Ti kit that does relocate the mount holes. I will dig that out. Gimme a minute

Damn this is embarrassing. I dug out my hangers that I've had for years and there is adaptor plates there. I've been collecting parts for this for so long I've forgotten what I actually have. Sorry for wasting your time.

DSC01068.JPG

• Like 2

Well I tried the hangers and adaptor plates and they dont work with my mufflers. The plates move the hangers outboard about 6 mm and the the hanger mount area interferes with the seat cowl. I could relieve the inside of the cowl 3mm or so but when I loosely hung them in place the high rise didnt look good with my slender mufflers. I have never really liked the high pipe look of the Ti cans to be honest but it seemed to look good with the big bulky std cans. Maybe its the angle of the image or something dont know but the high hangers with my mufflers is not the look for me.

I had the feeling of deja vu  during the the whole process actually:)

Ciao