V11 Daytona project

Lucky Phil

5 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Fitted the original front guard. Better?

Phil

IMG_3397.JPG

To my eye, the lines of the bodywork flow better when the eye picks it up at the very front like the air would flow over whilst the sweet thing rips past a lazy stream in an otherwise quiet wooded hollow on the way to the next banked turn . . . :race:

• Like 4

I guess the front guard on the V11 is a "signature" piece as well and it kind of disappears when it's left in the natural carbon black. Now I have to cough up for a painting the front guard. It never ends.

Btw I had a strange front brake calliper issue. The callipers were bought second hand a while back and were in nice condition and came without pads. When I fitted and bled them the inner lower piston on the r/h calliper was leaking. Not a huge leak but a drip every day or so. Pressurised was slightly less so mainly a static leak. Anyway I pulled the piston and seals out and in the main seal oring groove was a foreign body maybe 1mm thick. No idea what it was but it was stuck in there very well, like a small blob of glue. Appears to have been there before the anodising and I managed to scrape it out carefully. There's no damage to the groove but you can see a small area where the anodising hasn't taken hence my theory of it being there pre anodising. I thought at first it was corrosion but it's not on the lower part of the groove where water would accumulate and the rest of the calliper bore is perfect. I could put it all back together but the seal outer face has been deformed slightly from sitting on the foreign body. BTW these callipers are hard to find now as they have been out of production for quite a few years and so are genuine rebuild kits. 

There's a fairly new phenomena out there these days in that businesses are advertising stock on their websites but they don't carry any stock at all. They happily take full payment for stock they dont have and charge your CC then a week later inform you they can't get the stock anymore and refund your money. Then you lose on the transaction fees and they have your money for a week or so. This is very common now so for older bike parts it's advisable to email them first and see if they actually have stock or so they can at least check their supplier because they don't update their websites when parts become unavailable. It's bordering on a scam these days and I've been caught a few times of late. Some of the most professional looking motorcycle parts websites are in fact just resellers with no stock at all.    

Phil

• Like 2

On 9/12/2023 at 8:22 AM, docc said:

To my eye, the lines of the bodywork flow better when the eye picks it up at the very front like the air would flow over whilst the sweet thing rips past a lazy stream in an otherwise quiet wooded hollow on the way to the next banked turn . . . :race:

I am too lazy to look , what wheels are on this bike ?

I happen to know that they are PVM wheels, and Phil got them from Däs Mototech. However, even knowing that, I can't find them on the net. I rather suspect that Phil might have got (one of) the last set(s) that Däs had on offer. :huh2:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are from this series (but the V11 is not listed there...):

https://pvm.de/de/produkte/raeder/6-speichen-felge/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

I happen to know that they are PVM wheels, and Phil got them from Däs Mototech. However, even knowing that, I can't find them on the net. I rather suspect that Phil might have got (one of) the last set(s) that Däs had on offer. :huh2:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are from this series (but the V11 is not listed there...):

https://pvm.de/de/produkte/raeder/6-speichen-felge/

Yes they were a special order. Roland doesn't seem to be listing them anymore which doesn't surprise me.

Phil 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, audiomick said:

No. In fact, he doesn't seem to be offering any wheels at all anymore.. :huh2:

Well mine are beautiful wheels but the front wheel didn't fit the bike when delivered. The rear drive assembly was a very nice piece but the rear disk brake carrier had .2mm of runout! I removed it and machined it true. The front wheel wouldn't fit as the brake calliper bodies dragged on the disks because the captive spacer was 2mm too long. I had to press that out and machine it down and then it fitted. I emailed Roland about it with images of the measurements and dial indicator readings but he just told me to send them back to PVM. Not that useful to me so I fixed them myself. I think there has been changes at PVM and maybe they aren't interested in bespoke work anymore. Don't know for sure.

Add that to the many issues I've had as a foreign customer with different German suppliers over the last 2 year or so and I'm not keen to buy from them anymore. Don't know whats happened there but they are now far worse than the Italians ever were. Strange that and directly opposite to my old and pretty comprehensive dealing with them around 30 years ago.

Phil

• Like 4

What might be a cause of that is founders of various businesses reaching retirement age. The business continues, but under new management, and things change. The old bloke who loved fiddling with machines and finding solutions is no longer active, and  the new younger managemant is more focussed on the bottom line than on actually making things.

For the business perhaps better in the sense of running the business, but not necessarily better for the customer. :huh:

• Like 5

And , that ain't a good thing ! It seems as though anytime the patriarch gets out of the business and the kids or a new cabal takes over , things go south quickly . They "know" how to fix things and make it more ________ and then closing in less than two years .

• Like 5

I had the front wheel out a few days ago and the new wheel with the 25mm hollow axle and new tyre and disks is 2.2 KG lighter than the old front wheel, axle, disks and a partially worn tyre. So both wheels, the Titanium rear axle and the 25mm hollow front axle and bevel shroud removal saves 8.2 KG total. Not bad. I should have weighed the later clip ons as they are sure to be a bit lighter then the swan neck versions. I must weigh the bike and see whats the total weight. The 4 valve engine will weigh a fair bit more of course but the cross over and mufflers will be a lot less.

Phil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1