2021 LeMans benchmark

ScuRoo

The bar height has been set high with this.

Is this a design exercise development precursor for a 2021 liquid cooled future?

Vittoriano developed Ducati’s Desmosedici - so why not...?

• Like 7

I had to watch the second video twice. Once to read the English subtitles and again to enjoy their dialect, facial expressions, and obvious passion.

If, once upon a time, Dr. John Wittner influenced production Moto Guzzi models, and then Ghezzi & Brian, perhaps this is the season of the Guareschi influenced offering? :mg::thumbsup:

• Like 3

Also comes with lights - and as it is built off any CARC bike, keep the licence plates paid up and keep on riding!

86B4B59B-233A-44CF-8576-570618389156.jpeg

Day-aymn! I’d guess those good ‘ol Ducati boys lips would all start a’quivering!

If Piaggio doesn’t surpass this home-brewed guzzisti effort - they may as well save their R&D money and just throw their weight behind this in passing Euro5 red tape and she’d be a worthy V11 successor!

I say, who’d struggle terribly hard with that notion?

3FD414C4-7DB1-42FC-8D4B-5CAD966A58A0.jpeg

• Like 2

I would buy one. That is the kind of Guzzi I want. I would even pay fairly stupid money for it, and ignore that fact that I don't have local dealer support. 

I want one.

And I would love to visit their shop. They seem like my kind of guys.

• Like 3

Someone recently told me that Piaggio-USA/NA told a prominent US dealer that the "big bikes" are going away and all the focus will be the V7, V9, V85 ranges.

Something about getting staged for the importance of emerging Asian and Indian markets.

I still think the V85 has the makings of a sweet LeMans (or Sport . . .) ! :mg:

• Like 1

Someone recently told me that Piaggio-USA/NA told a prominent US dealer that the "big bikes" are going away and all the focus will be the V7, V9, V85 ranges.

Something about getting staged for the importance of emerging Asian and Indian markets.

I still think the V85 has the makings of a sweet LeMans (or Sport . . .) ! :mg:

I haven't "heard" that but if you follow Guzzi.... Theyll have the 1400 for the cruisers and 750s and 850s for the retros and small cruisers. Guzzi has become the "Retros and Cruiser Wing" of Piaggio.

As for a new LeMans? It's coming and highly likely a 850 4 valve retro.

As for a new LeMans? It's coming and highly likely a 850 4 valve retro.

I'm still waiting for the Ippogriffo. :rasta: Until this purported 850 4 valve shows up, I'll stick with the AeroLario.   I've heard from reliable sources that a new LeMans was in the works for years. :huh2: It's the only thing that would pry open my wallet, and I'm running out of time.  :oldgit:

• Like 1

Chuck, even if the 4V does turn up I fear it will be simply another iteration of the basic V85 platform with pushrods, roller tappets and a simple doubling up of valves. It won't be an engine for the 2,000's. At the very best it would of cut the mustard in the mid seventies.

Piaggio has no plans for maintaining any sort of 'Legacy' for Guzzi's history of achievement and innovation. They are listed as a lousy risk on the stock market and what they want is to 'Move Product', preferably low cost product, so that is what is going to happen.

Despite the hype there isn't really anything new or exciting in the V85. In fact in almost every measurable way it seems to be a retrograde step. Despite the engine architecture of the transverse twin making it an ideal platform for Hi-Camming and the marque having a 25 year history of the format it has been shitcanned in favour of a return to an obsolete and inefficient hemi head, 2 valve, OHV system that hasn't been used outside of garden maintenance products and DIY home improvement equipment for decades! Sure it's got TI exhaust valves and a dirty great throttlebody but that alone won't make it a fire breathing monster or even mildly competitive in its market segment. It's rear suspension is a further retrograde step. How many other serious bikes in the segment use a cantilever rear end and the abandonment of the reactive rear drive means that once again the drive and suspension functions will interfere with each other diminishing both.

Any 'Nuovo LeMans' using this motor and driveline would be a pale shadow of any of its namesakes of yore. Perhaps in the 'Modern' world that is unimportant? Especially if it looks 'Cool', (Something that seems to trump just about everything else in the modern purchasers mind it would appear.) but to my mind it really is a stake through the heart of everything Guzzi has always been. I understand I'm probably in the minority and I hope that those who do invest in the future products enjoy them immensely but sadly, for me, the passion has died and I fear it will be hard to rekindle.

Pete

• Like 4

The passion hasn't died for me.. but.. the Mighty Scura (the last of the *real* Guzzis) will more than likely be the newest I'll ever own in this go round.  :rasta: 

If they did come out with a modern LeMans before my riding days are over though.. I'd probably have one.

• Like 1

I always love what Pete has to say. :oldgit:  Always just the bare truth, sprinkled with a bit of spice, and stirred with a pointy stick . . . ;)

I've been told so many times how heavy my Sport is (my last liter bike was a GoldWing :o), and that it's so down on horsepower (my other bike is a wee Honda single  -_- ), and the brakes are so sucky (they are the kit from the original Ducati 916), the gearbox is crap (slickest box I've ever had), electrical system is dicey (well, okay, you got me on that one . . .  :rasta: ).

Pretty sure my Sport is a good example of something really special  :sun: and not some mass-produced, lowest price, consumer product designed to be discarded at the end of the finance cycle. :angry2:

That said, it is going to take something revolutionary from Moto Guzzi to get my garage space.  But, they are not really after us are they?

They (Piaggio) are after new markets. I do wish them the best.  I do, I do! :mg: