Roper Plate Redux

swooshdave

Like I said, I have the code. :huh2:  I could make one today, but I'm not going to unless Pete is on board 100%.

Perfect, did you get quotes? I have to assume that water jetting stainless steel is less expensive than milling aluminum?

Heaven's no. Pete's making some, isn't he? It's his intellectual property. I have no problem making one for the Kid, but what Guzibits has done is just plain wrong.

Like I said, I have the code. :huh2:  I could make one today, but I'm not going to unless Pete is on board 100%.

Perfect, did you get quotes? I have to assume that water jetting stainless steel is less expensive than milling aluminum?

Heaven's no. Pete's making some, isn't he? It's his intellectual property. I have no problem making one for the Kid, but what Guzibits has done is just plain wrong.

Can you get a quote? Pete only made a couple and shipping from down under is prohibitive. We'd get his sign-off before going any further. 

Previous aluminium plates I've made for our old race bike were up to 1.5mm thick. To be affective as a windage plate as well as a baffle you run the oil just below the plate. Because the volume of the crankcase isn't constant as it lessens it will attempt to flex the plate downwards and as it increases the reverse happens so the plate will vibrate like the skin of a drum.

The alloy plates all had a tendency to crack and disintegrate, hence the choice of stainless.

Pete

• Like 5

Previous aluminium plates I've made for our old race bike were up to 1.5mm thick. To be affective as a windage plate as well as a baffle you run the oil just below the plate. Because the volume of the crankcase isn't constant as it lessens it will attempt to flex the plate downwards and as it increases the reverse happens so the plate will vibrate like the skin of a drum.

The alloy plates all had a tendency to crack and disintegrate, hence the choice of stainless.

Pete

Good point, did you try more holes in the plate? A slew of smaller holes might dissipate the pressure better but still keep the oil in check. Were you doing anything to keep the crankcase pressure neutral?

The design does what it needs to do, I haven't bothered modifying it.

Crankcase pressure is always going to vary due to the 90 degree, shared crankpin design. The only way to reduce it would be increase the volume of the case or enlarge the vent.

Pete

The design does what it needs to do, I haven't bothered modifying it.

Crankcase pressure is always going to vary due to the 90 degree, shared crankpin design. The only way to reduce it would be increase the volume of the case or enlarge the vent.

Pete

I think the only issue is the side stand, but I don't know how big of an issue it is.

Plus if we could source it in the US we might be able to get the cost down.

As I've said, add ten bucks to the cost and donate it to Medicienes sans Frontiers and I'll be fine with that. If you can undercut the thieving turds at Guzzibits? So much the better. I know they have a 'Good reputation' but they are thieves and scumbags and I'd be happy to see them go bust.

• Like 3

As I've said, add ten bucks to the cost and donate it to Medicienes sans Frontiers and I'll be fine with that. If you can undercut the thieving turds at Guzzibits? So much the better. I know they have a 'Good reputation' but they are thieves and scumbags and I'd be happy to see them go bust.

Chuck, here’s your green light to get a quote.

To be clear any adventure would be with Pete’s permission and a royalty would go to him or a destination of his choice.

I’m just wondering if laser or water jet and stainless would be cheaper to produce. I also am not found of any modifications required by the thicker plate.

If @Chuck could get a quote and it’s worth doing I bet we could easily presale enough to have a run done. I’m sure Pete would provide the CAD file to a trusted party.

I also have a Norton guy in the Philippines who seems to have great manufacturing contacts at very reasonable rates.

I’m thinking other techniques and materials might be significantly less expensive. Is that wishful thinking? $50 or $75 each?

As I mentioned I know this guy who has motorcycle parts made in the Philippines. I was chatting with him but he was on holiday. I get a message from him today that he ordered the Gutsibits one as a sample so he could get a quote.  :helmet:

He didn't tell me he was going to do this but it's too late. I said I could get one from Australia to him a lot faster. Doesn't matter, it's on it's way.

So the irony is that potentially the next round of Roper plates might be "thanks" to Gutsibits.

At least he knows the target price and feels comfortable his price will be significantly less. I think this could be an opportunity to undercut Gutsibits and give the fine folks on the forum a new source for the plates. And the royalties to Pete.

Royalties can go to MSF. I am blessed with so much that I don't need the money from a few plates to fund my retirement. I'd prefer it went to a good humanitarian cause.

Yes, to MSF in your name.