Roper Plate Redux

swooshdave

7 hours ago, Mr Revhead said:

Bravo!

Now one question... Will these fit, and are they a good idea for Sport 1100s? 

I'm laughing because I have a '97 Sport-i myself, and haven't yet confirmed that fitment. I think Pete confirms it elsewhere.

6 hours ago, pete roper said:

Sport-I's use the 'Broad sump' the same as the V11. The thing is because of the taller gearing in the lower gears in the old five speed box the issue of oil surge and pick-up exposure doesn't seem to trouble them. This isn't to say it couldn't happen, just that I've never heard of a Sport-I running its big ends due to pick up exposure, (Or a Centy or Daytona RS.). That being the case, while fitting one is extra insurance it probably isn't necessary.

The carb Sports still used the old 'Deep Sump' with bottom feeding pick up so exposure isn't an issue.

Pete

Since learning about the oil problem in V11's, I've tried hard to get mine to show ('97 Sport-i) by working it with  hard first gear climbs on a fairly steep hill- and I've not been able to see a flicker. All the same, I wanted one because that's just how we roll. ;) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update; 

I'm sincerely hoping (and pushing) to get these engraved in the next few days. 
Anybody who wants one can order simply by sending a PM. 
If you're in a hurry to get one immediately, I can send it minus engraving. 

We can not yet take credit cards directly, so payment at the moment has to be USPS money order, checks, or PayPal. I have Google Pay also but have to discover exactly how to take payment with it. 
PayPal email is; pressureangle@gmail.com

Surface mail box and check made to;
Horst Manufacturing
9501 E. Center St.
Windham, OH 44288

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm a little late into the game with this V11Lemans, so I missed out on the recent Skud/Chuck tranny spring fix, but I'm not missing out on this,lol.

Tks to all involved who enabled Pete's fine work to continue on; what a lovely looking piece of kit.

I haven't watched Dave's video yet (tks for posting) I realize the gaskets that I need as well, I thought I remembered reading something somewhere about "o rings" possibly being needed? 

Pressureangle, I'll send you a pm with details for shipping to Canada. It;s my first pm on this system, hope it goes through ok.

Tks

Kelly

• Like 1

The o-rings seal the pipes on the oil filter/OPRV valve. Normally they will still be malleable and undamaged so they can simply be re-used but hey? They're o-rings and cost pennies. Might as well do them if you remember to order them.

Pete

• Like 1

(Early V11don't have the O-rings, but AN fittings. Which should also be fine on the swap as long as they are not over tightened by some knuckle-dragging Neanderthal  . . . )

• Haha 1

I tried to replicate some colorful, expressive Roperism there, but it never comes out with the same brio and depth that would post from The-Man-His-Own-Self.  :grin:

• Haha 1