Frame oil vent system - Cons/worries

Tinus89

Hi people,

As I pointed out in the Red&Black frame topic, I added the frame-gearbox connection plate to my 2001 (40.000km) V11.

When I did so, I also removed the oil return line (frame->sump) for the welding. As pics say more then words, here is what I found:

Banjo-bolt-oil-return.jpg

The banjo bolt is clearly corroded from the outside. The inside was full of debris, which I removed and put on this wash cloth:

IMG-0424.jpg

Note: this debris only comes from the banjo bolt!

I then flushed the oil return line using brake cleaner, into a plastic bag.

IMG-0426.jpg

Clearly visible are some hard metallic particles, 2-4mm in size.

Another observation is when I drained my sump, there was one very 1-2mm metal particle attached to the magnetic oil plug.

So clearly, the moisture from temperature differences, collects in the frame tube/oil separator and causes corrosion inside the frame tube. Aside from metal particles getting into the engine oil (I'm not to worried about that with the mesh filter and oil filter in place), but how about corrosion of the frame tube?

Should we all be worried? :ninja:

• Like 2

Read from post #39 on to see my adventures in spine chamber flushing.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20627&page=3

I finally got my clean with at least a dozen flushes. I also used a little swab of cloth clipped onto curved hemostats to clean the lowest point of the breather chamber through the hole just below where the banjo bolt is.

I would do this after the first couple of flushes.

I used gasoline for both the tank and hose. On the hose I removed it completely from the bike and poured gas in there and rocked it back and forth with my fingers over the ends.

For the tank I used the top hose that goes from the chamber to the airbox and attached ti to the lower hole and filled up the chamber with gas and held the hose up high so fuel would not run out, then I lowered the hose and dumped it into a container. 

Hi Tinus89,

If you are really keen on bits of debris you could try following the directions of the old UK civil Aircraft Inspection Procedures EL/3-1 para 4.3. This was a list of methods for determining what metal is in the oil filter. Of course being British we had no truck with such complexities as Spectro Analysis. I hear there is similar available from the FAA.

Drain the oil filter and wash the debris into a paper filter.

Ferrous metal can be picked up by a magnet. Hot nitric acid will turn yellow or light brown with carbon steel and dark brown with cast iron. No effect on non austenitic stainless steel.

Bronze will develop a white precipitate when boiled in nitric acid.

Mag alloy will react with saturated copper sulphate solution.

Aluminium will cause a solution of caustic soda to be clear. Aluminium alloy will develop a grey or black precipitate.

White metal will dissolve slowly in nitric acid developing black particles in a pale green solution.

Have fun, white coats are available from all reputable outlets.

• Like 1