Ram Mount on tank ring

swooshdave

I looked at those, didn't get one...still haven't mounted mine on the stem.

What sort of SNAFU is it to get it on the stem? It was obvious as soon as I opened the box it wasn't going to be a standard easy install.

• 2 weeks later...

Timely post. I was thinking about messing with the cap and stem again using my big 'ol box of RAM parts, but after reading through the link to previous discussions I just bought that tank adapter and will see how we get along. 

8 hours ago, roktbox said:

Timely post. I was thinking about messing with the cap and stem again using my big 'ol box of RAM parts, but after reading through the link to previous discussions I just bought that tank adapter and will see how we get along. 

Welcome roktbox, How do you like the Africa Twin? There's some good deals on new '17's. I know they aren't as tech-y as the later ones, but who needs it?

Love it w/ full disclosure that I'm no Chris Birch. Yes, some smokin' deals out there. I was an early adopter and enthusiastic farkler, so I try not to pay close attention to current prices. I will say that I'll appreciate my 10k miles worth of riding since new and call that good ROI. Purchased with intent to ride as much challenging terrain as I am capable. To date, some tight "double track" in OR & WA Coast Range / Cascades with some long roadies into ID, WY, MO, and Canada. Have experienced "fork gate" - bushing wear on internals causing undue stiction, erosion of internal fork leg anodizing, etc. Honda famously won't warranty the problem, so consider that if you buy. If you do, just enjoy the lower MSRP and swap it all for Ohlins. I'm waiting for the next rebuild cycle on mine to perhaps get the bigger 43mm fork tubes off the ATAS and then rework suspension bits from there. Happy to prattle on if you want more info .......... 

As soon as I sat back down on the bike I could see why the tank ring probably isn't a good solution for the V11 Sport, the tank filler is too far back.

And ....... the ring doesn't have enough vertical clearance for the CF air box cover. I fiddled with some spacers I had lying around from another project, but didn't like the result. If anyone would like it it's your for the cost of freight. I'll go back to a RAM mount off the steering stem.

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2019 at 5:01 PM, roktbox said:

And ....... the ring doesn't have enough vertical clearance for the CF air box cover. I fiddled with some spacers I had lying around from another project, but didn't like the result. If anyone would like it it's your for the cost of freight. I'll go back to a RAM mount off the steering stem.

Air box cover? You mean the tank top?

I might want to try it for a camera mount. If you make it to Corvallis next Sunday maybe you can bring it?

Hey, don't give up. Longer bolts and some spacers would make that work over the tank pad.

@ Rotbox - Your mix of 3 bikes is very similar to mine. Very different purposes for each. Please "prattle on" about the Africa Twin in the above referenced thread. I've been "prattling on" about my Husqvarna 701 Enduro and my Stelvio for a while.

18 hours ago, swooshdave said:

Air box cover? You mean the tank top?

I might want to try it for a camera mount. If you make it to Corvallis next Sunday maybe you can bring it?

Yes, the tank top / cover. Scud is correct in that anything can be McGyvered. My aluminum spacers were just too thin, so I had to stack them. I'll try again at some point. Plus, the Amazon sourced part from China is a little janky.  

Yes, the tank top / cover. Scud is correct in that anything can be McGyvered. My aluminum spacers were just too thin, so I had to stack them. I'll try again at some point. Plus, the Amazon sourced part from China is a little janky.  

I have some plastic spacers (stand off) that should work great. How many do you need?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk