OEM Clipon Stummel

MattiGuzzi

Anyone know if the following handlebar stummels shown below are identical and will be interchangeable  (or usable) with a 2004 V11 Sport Naked?

2001 V11 Sport RH

99-01 V11 Sport Mandello LH

02 V11 Sport LH

These are available on eBay and i’d Like to switch out the ones on my 2004 Sport (not so) Naked for these as they appear to provide a 2” rise, which would be perfect.  I expect these are the same. I know they are different from the ones on my bike.   Also wondering if I will have to replace or reroute the cables. Thanks!  

As far as I can remember fork diameter is the same on all models. The early red frames were mounted below the triple-T and the later on top.
In the pics you can see the difference.
My bet is, that you're not the first one to try this. Maybe someone can chime in?

moto-guzzi-v11-sport-rosso-mandello-limited-edition-2001-4.jpg

$_86.JPG

Here I was thinking when the early 40mm forks changed to the LongFrame 43mm mounted above the triple, the clip-on diameter also changed?

• Like 1

I don't think all V11 forks are the same diameter. My Sport has 54mm forks. I have a set of OEM clip ons if you need them, PM me.

I wasn't sure about the fork diameter. But that's easy to find out: Google pointed me to this topic:

- 00-02 forks were Marzocchi 40mm, dual adjustable USD forks with Compression adjustability in the left leg, and Rebound on the right, if I recall correctly. But there was no preload adjustment.

- 03+ forks are Marzocchi upside-down fork, 43mm, extension(rebound)/preload adjustable, and have a newer large diameter hollow front axle. They apparently do not have compression adjustment.

So the Rosso Mandello clipons won't fit your 2004 V11 Sport. Sorry for the confusion!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

I wasn't sure about the fork diameter. But that's easy to find out: Google pointed me to this topic:

So the Rosso Mandello clipons won't fit your 2004 V11 Sport. Sorry for the confusion!

Jaap, Dankjewel!

BTW, I lived in NL for four years from 1982-86.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Am thinking of clipons atop the upper triple on an '04 Ballabio. This will necessitate raising the fork tubes in the triples. They are currently standing about 18mm above the upper triple. Apparently, there is no handling or stability deficit? Anyone have a set? Finish need not be perfect. Otherwise, I search the web.

6 hours ago, po18guy said:

Am thinking of clipons atop the upper triple on an '04 Ballabio. This will necessitate raising the fork tubes in the triples. They are currently standing about 18mm above the upper triple. Apparently, there is no handling or stability deficit? Anyone have a set? Finish need not be perfect. Otherwise, I search the web.

How much more would you have to raise them to mount clip-ons?  I'm not sure how proud the Ballabio's are to begin with. Early Sports are flush.

6 hours ago, docc said:

How much more would you have to raise them to mount clip-ons?  I'm not sure how proud the Ballabio's are to begin with. Early Sports are flush.

At 18mm, I suppose another 12-15mm, depending o the bars. I know that it would slightly quicken the steering, but I believe it was slowed a bit in the transition from short to long frame.

Seems like a lot to me. My ShortFrame's triples are  dropped 5mm, the rear raised "some." Would not want more.

I remember making a café first year GoldWing (speaking of heavy, long slow steering bikes . . .) and dropping the triples about an inch/ 25mm. It made it feel awkward and ended up about 12mm (1/2"). Not sure that helps, but 30mm seems worth a fair dose of circumspect caution.

If those are 54mm at the clamping surface, they are exactly what I am looking for. Also appears that they accept standard 7/8" bars?