OEM Clipon Stummel

MattiGuzzi

9 hours ago, po18guy said:

If those are 54mm at the clamping surface, they are exactly what I am looking for. Also appears that they accept standard 7/8" bars?

Clamping surface seems to measure 53mm, but that may be what 54mm clip-ons clamp to? :huh2:

And the bars do look to measure 7/8".

Or right around 22 and 1/4 mm if we want to mix fractional and metric a bit more . . . :blink:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, docc said:

Clamping surface seems to measure 53mm, but that may be what 54mm clip-ons clamp to? :huh2:

And the bars do look to measure 7/8".

Or right around 22 and 1/4 mm if we want to mix fractional and metric a bit more . . . :blink:

Like to stay Guzzi, but Buell and some GSXRs (that I know of) also used 54mm bars. And Woodcraft is waiting in the wings.

9 hours ago, po18guy said:

If those are 54mm at the clamping surface, they are exactly what I am looking for. Also appears that they accept standard 7/8" bars?

The OEM bars are not 7/8", I think they are slightly smaller. I wanted to put the heavy OEM bars into the Woodcraft 54mm clip-ons, but they need a shim and it got too complicated with all the other mods, so went with Woodcraft 7/8" bars and Manic Salamander bar end weights, and filled the Woodcraft bars with lead shot.

Not sure where my OEM clip-ons, bars and end weights are, I'll have to look.

I also have a photo with the OEM clip-ons mounted above the top triple. I bought the bike that way. Have to look for that too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems that the '99-'01s ('02s?) have 53mm tubes and the later bikes have 54s. Got a message back from a fellow on eBay and his measurement was 53.25mm. I like the OEM bars, as they have that "safety bolt" which threads into the upper triple to keep the bar from rotating. Might be more show than go, but it offers at least some assurance.

Here are V11 Sport 54mm OEM clip ons mounted above the triple:

B01U578.jpg

smESBHg.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, po18guy said:

It seems that the '99-'01s ('02s?) have 53mm tubes and the later bikes have 54s. Got a message back from a fellow on eBay and his measurement was 53.25mm. I like the OEM bars, as they have that "safety bolt" which threads into the upper triple to keep the bar from rotating. Might be more show than go, but it offers at least some assurance.

Another advantage to using the oem (later, no rise) clipons, is they are built to reduce vibes. The end weight bolts far up inside the bar, in rubber, not out on the end like most weights.  Comparing the '02 LM with the '00 Sport, the sport bars present slightly higher and approx 3/4" further forward than the '02.

Also consider the length of your forks. My '02 oem are approx 30 1/4" (off bike) top of tube (not cap) to center of the axle. The '02 with '03 Ohlins installed, sloppy measure on the side stand is 30". The Sport same measure is 29 1/2". The '02 has about 3/4" up thru the top tree, or the thickness of the clipon bracket.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1