Relays problem or what else is going on?

Amarrache

I've read a number of posts but  I think they made me more confused than before.

A couple weekends ago I was prepared to ride my V11 and when I flip on the ignition there was an odd screeching sound coming from under the seat. The sound was emanating from the cluster of 5 relays. The neutral light on my instruments was flickering a bit and when I tried to start the bike it just made clicking sounds. Searching in previous posts, I saw that V11 relays had a habit of going bad so I purchased replacements through Digi-Key.

Earlier today I just swapped out all 5 relays to cover everything. Turning the ignition key a similar screeching sound was heard. Turning off the ignition and back on again multiple times, the screeching happens some times and not others, with just clicking some times. Same inconsistency with the neutral light. On at times, other times not, and other times flickering a bit. The starter does not crank at all when I hit the starter button.

Before the first incident a couple weeks ago, I had the  bike on a trickle charging in my garage. Before the trickle charger, the bike sat for a month with being started but not ridden a couple times.

What in the heck did I do? This is getting beyond me and I'm afraid I will need to get the bike to the local Guzzi dealer.

Any basic things I can check to try and narrow down the problem?

I hope you own a good DVOM . Check the battery voltage , turn the switch on and check .  

If you own a good test light , put it on the - terminal to the + terminal of the battery . 

Turn the ign. switch to the on position and watch to see what the light does .  

Tell us what you find n we will go from there .

3 hours ago, Amarrache said:

I've read a number of posts but  I think they made me more confused than before.

A couple weekends ago I was prepared to ride my V11 and when I flip on the ignition there was an odd screeching sound coming from under the seat. The sound was emanating from the cluster of 5 relays. The neutral light on my instruments was flickering a bit and when I tried to start the bike it just made clicking sounds. Searching in previous posts, I saw that V11 relays had a habit of going bad so I purchased replacements through Digi-Key.

Earlier today I just swapped out all 5 relays to cover everything. Turning the ignition key a similar screeching sound was heard. Turning off the ignition and back on again multiple times, the screeching happens some times and not others, with just clicking some times. Same inconsistency with the neutral light. On at times, other times not, and other times flickering a bit. The starter does not crank at all when I hit the starter button.

Before the first incident a couple weeks ago, I had the  bike on a trickle charging in my garage. Before the trickle charger, the bike sat for a month with being started but not ridden a couple times.

What in the heck did I do? This is getting beyond me and I'm afraid I will need to get the bike to the local Guzzi dealer.

Any basic things I can check to try and narrow down the problem?

reseat the neutral connector.  make sure it's not loose.  wiggle it with your fingers.

don't ask how I know.

could the screeching be the fuel pump?

FWIW, following replacing the fuel filter on my 2004 V11, the bike "screeched" at key on. Went away fairly quickly after everything "primed up". Hasn't been an issue since. I know the OP mentioned it came from the area of the relays...but this is the only time I've encountered a screech on my bike....errr, I mean...from my bike!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Admin Jaap said:

Are you trying to show a link? Just copy/paste the URL in your post

I am a slow learner …. I don't know what I am doing