Weird Battery Failure

swooshdave

" Odyssey is adamant that the battery will not charge with under 6 volts.

I thought you meant to say under 6 amps. Maybe I misunderstood?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chuck said:

" Odyssey is adamant that the battery will not charge with under 6 volts."

I thought you meant to say under 6 amps. Maybe I misunderstood?

You are correct, my mis-type. I couldn't find it earlier (pressed to the limits today), but saw it just now and corrected the mistake. :blush:

Thanks for checking my work, y'all! :thumbsup:

The seller on Amazon says the battery is delivered fully charged.

I interestingly Autozone has the battery for the lowest price I’ve seen. $99. Not sure how long it takes to get shipped to the store. One way to find out...

https://m.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automotive/motorcycle-and-power-sport-battery/odyssey-powersport-extreme-series-agm-battery/7616_0_0?OnetoOne=true&searchText=Pc545

I ordered the Autozone one. $99.99 and I can pick it up at the store tomorrow. Not bad.

My Scura battery  just pooped today. Ive noticed batteries in mine only go 3yrs tops. They'll be fine and then I'll get a battery light at low idle. Maybe for a month being the warning that I'll be stranded soon. Then poof. I might be able to start it with the trickle charger on it for a half hour a few times more but those cells are given up. 

I forgot to pick up my battery from Autozone yesterday. I need to do that this morning. 

Update: Although it was suppose to be at the store on Saturday... it wasn’t.

23 hours ago, bbolesaz said:

Living in the valley of the sunstroke generally kills my batteries every 2 years.  I don't bother to charge them anymore, the heat just kills them anyhow.

Im in your boat. Wasn't even thinking about the heat. Im down the road in Marana. Guess there are 2 Scuras in AZ now. 

338aa982508c16031075a0e8bed540bd.jpg

Finally got the stupid battery. I’ll try to open it tonight and see what it’s charged to.

Side question, how many amps does the alternator produce?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safe to say 25 amps? The odd chart in the Workshop Manual shows 27.50 amps at 10,000 rpm. Of course, the V11 will not turn 10,000 rpm.  Someone once had an explanation of why the chart is structured that way, but I forget.

24 minutes ago, docc said:

Safe to say 25 amps? The odd chart in the Workshop Manual shows 27,50 amps at 10,000 rpm. Of course, the V11 will not turn 10,000 rpm.  Someone once had an explanation of why the chart is structured that way, but I forget.

It was a dumb question as I just had to remember how big the fuses are. The biggest fuse in the system is 30amp?

Indeed it is. The nefarious "Battery re-Charger" fuse . . . :unsure:

This 30 amp fuse should be inspected routinely for signs of melting and burned contact blades. It must be pulled out to do so, but be careful not to open the tiny contacts further.  A definite V11 weak point.

12.5v has been pretty common. Also, reference the temperature of the battery case (ambient) so we can calculate the State of Charge %.

Thanks for posting your experience! :thumbsup: