V11Sport rear seat cowl

MattiGuzzi

When I picked up my bike in February it was missing the rear seat cowl. I found one on eBay but it arrived with large 27mm holes. What is the proper part to put there? When I look up the OEM part it washer looks way too small. 

IMG_20190405_090236__01_1554478497107.jpg

I believe there is a rubber grommet you can put in that big a hole and then put the bolt through that grommet.

The stock bolt on the wifes V11 has a big head to it, so I am not sure, but I don't recall it having a rubber grommet stock. But it may. 

Either way, with a hole that big you probably need a rubber grommet to run the bolt through. In addition to the rubber grommet you likely want one of those collars so when you tighten it down it provides a stop before the rubber grommets squishes to badly.

That may have been drilled out for some reason. Looks like a trip to a good hardware store is in order, you’ll need some grommets, a couple of spacers/bushings (the “collars” mentioned above) and some nice stainless button head hex head bolts for a clean install.

That being said, the grommets may be a problem to find ones that fit well, so a work around is using a combination of stainless washers and rubber washers to isolate the cowl from the hardware to prevent stress cracks. 

Makes me wonder if "stress cracks" may have been why a Previous Owner enlarged the mounting holes. I've never seen a factory cowl like that.

Were the  "bum stop" pads only mounted on the early bikes?

17 hours ago, docc said:

Makes me wonder if "stress cracks" may have been why a Previous Owner enlarged the mounting holes. I've never seen a factory cowl like that.

Were the  "bum stop" pads only mounted on the early bikes?

You're probably right. Then it became an unfinished project(snafu)  that ended up on ebay. Only thing to really do is lay resin in those holes and make new ones. 

A new one from Harpers wasn't too crazy expensive. Had to paint it though. 

I’ll add pictures later but on mine it was a M6 screw and the hole in the seat was about 7mm.

7mjmjsl.jpg

Edited by swooshdave
Added picture

33 minutes ago, czakky said:

Funny enough while out for a ride a couple hours ago I lost one of these bolts

Mine are very tight.