Cali 1400 opinions

JBBenson

Thinking about getting a big twin, probably the Cali 1400, for long distance touring.

I was looking at the new Harley Heritage softail, but who am I kidding? Not a Harley guy. Besides, I can pick up a new or nearly-new Cali 1400 for like 10k less than a base level Harley Davidson.

Any thoughts from members who own or have owned both the V11 and a 1400? 

Those new 1400s look great... but if you want to expand your options... the California Vintage seems to have quite the cult-following. Over on WildGuzzi, that seems to be one of bikes that most people regret selling. The CalVin has a more classic style.  But then those 1400s are comfy too, I sat on one when I got my Stelvio. If I ever get a cruiser-styled bike, these would be on the top of the list.

I don't know anyone that has one that doesn't like it. Just the same, be aware that Guzzi is dropping them. It will shortly be an orphan with really complicated electronics..

Sorry to be the fly in the oiltment but I bought one for a big trip in the USA when they first came out and hated it. A great, heavy, imprecise, wallowing bucket of lard with all of the charisma of a roadkilled wombat in midsummer heat.

Look, if you're a 'Cruiser' sort of guy them it will probably be fine but there was nothing about it I really liked and a whole lot I hated compared to my beloved CARC bikes. Weedy, spindly, non adjustable forks, limited travel twin shock rear suspension, no reactive drive, wheelbase longer than a supertanker, (And CARC bikes are scarcely short!) odd "I'm riding along with my legs poked out in front of me under the handlebars and it seems someone has inserted a star picket up my blurter!" Riding position and an exhaust note like someone shitting pebbles into a 44 gallon drum full of custard.

I'd rather f*$# spiders than own another one.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

C'mon, Pete, quit holding back, tell us what you really think.  :lol:

A bit more seriously, has there been any better Guzzi since the V11?  The newer models may have tech advancements, albeit combined with butt ugly styling.  Sorry, the new V85 is a step in the right direction, but still no cigar. 

2 hours ago, Nihontochicken said:

C'mon, Pete, quit holding back, tell us what you really think.  :lol:

A bit more seriously, has there been any better Guzzi since the V11?  The newer models may have tech advancements, albeit combined with butt ugly styling.  Sorry, the new V85 is a step in the right direction, but still no cigar. 

" my beloved CARC bikes" - isn't holding back either.

• Haha 1

With the CARC bikes, particularly the 8V's, Guzzi finally built a machine for the 21'st century. Now Piaggio has decided to drag them back to the middle of the 20th. I fart damply and lavishly on their miserable little 2 valve pushrod motor. It belongs in a cement mixer, not a Moto Guzzi for the 2020's!

Lordy, how can one follow Pete Roper? :lol:

I'll just sob quietly here, and make do with my moto-cement-mixers.  :P

Seriously, whatever the merits (or lack) of the V-7 & 9's, ditto the V85TT, they all seem to have a foothold in the imaginations (and wallet$) of lots of folks, including lots of younger ones.  That seems to me not to be a bad thing even if retrograde in some other respects. :oldgit:

Back to nursing a nasty deer-tick bite, and hoping that the little effer did not leave me unable to eat red meat or drink red wine.  A pox on the creatures. :angry:

Bill

• Like 1

I can't be doing with the retrograde technology Bill. That's all.

The Hi-Cam, 4V design is ideally suited to the Guzzi 'Transverse' twin and going back to a prehistoric OHV design just leaves me cold.

Yes, I know the smallblocks are 'Popular'. That's fine, they are aimed at, and are liked by, people with zero interest in any sort of 'Performance' be it power, handling, anything. What they want is a motorbike that looks like their grandads bike because it's 'Cool'. That's fine but it isn't what I want or what interests me and I'm certainly not going to to heap undeserved praise on it simply because it's wearing a Guzzi badge.

I hope they sell squillions of them. Then they might be allowed to build a truly exciting motorbike again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, pete roper said:

I can't be doing with the retrograde technology Bill. That's all.

The Hi-Cam, 4V design is ideally suited to the Guzzi 'Transverse' twin and going back to a prehistoric OHV design just leaves me cold.

Yes, I know the smallblocks are 'Popular'. That's fine, they are aimed at, and are liked by, people with zero interest in any sort of 'Performance' be it power, handling, anything. What they want is a motorbike that looks like their grandads bike because it's 'Cool'. That's fine but it isn't what I want or what interests me and I'm certainly not going to to heap undeserved praise on it simply because it's wearing a Guzzi badge.

I hope they sell squillions of them. Then they might be allowed to build a truly exciting motorbike again.

For all Pete's "colorful" opinion, I totally agree with him. I don't take issue with the small blocks or any of the other "retro" old tech Guzzi is selling or those that buy it. In fact, I kinda hope they make a bunch of money selling that retro stuff to someone else, but only because I then hope they will be able to afford to make something exciting with modern performance. Once upon a time Guzzi was a technology leader. It would be nice if they could at least catch up at this point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite what Pete sez, it'll beat the shit out any standard fare Harley (I'll admit that I haven't ridden the new Softail line).  Think Harley ergos with better handling , brakes and balance and 2500 more rpms.  Yeah, I've ridden some hot Harley but they shake, have no ground clearance, etc., etc.

It's hard to get passed Harley ergos.  

I have hard time believing the 1400 won't be around in some form. 

• Like 1