Scan Gauge / GuzziDiag device

rich888

Just wondering if there is a Scan Gauge type device for bikes that can show some of the OBD data while on the move?

If not, would anyone interested in one? I might try making one... Combined with a gps module to get accurate speed, it might be quite handy!

Google Guzzidiag,  a very clever chap in Germany has most of this covered.  If you are hoping to include GPS for data logging may well be worth getting in contact with him.

There is a great deal of info about this app on this website.

I will leave it to the better informed folk here to give you more help.

17 minutes ago, 68C said:

Google Guzzidiag,  a very clever chap in Germany has most of this covered.  If you are hoping to include GPS for data logging may well be worth getting in contact with him.

There is a great deal of info about this app on this website.

I will leave it to the better informed folk here to give you more help.

Hi 68C, Yes I have already made good use of GuzziDiag!

So imagine that but in a small unit that fits just below your clocks which you can display say any 4 or 6 PID's from the ECU. Instead of using a laptop. Don't think he's done an Android version for your phone but that would be handy too!

Could be bluetoothed to the OBD and run off a built in battery so it's cable free.

19 hours ago, rich888 said:

Hi 68C, Yes I have already made good use of GuzziDiag!

So imagine that but in a small unit that fits just below your clocks which you can display say any 4 or 6 PID's from the ECU. Instead of using a laptop. Don't think he's done an Android version for your phone but that would be handy too!

Could be bluetoothed to the OBD and run off a built in battery so it's cable free.

Sorry, did not read the title fully!

35 minutes ago, 68C said:

Sorry, did not read the title fully!

No worries, actually I think I read some old posts by yourself about doing something similar?

One of my objectives is a working tacho! LOL!

After a bit of googling, I found the protocol for Marelli P8 ECU's is documented by Fiat. These are used in many cars as well as bikes.

Some guys on Ford Cosworth forums have made add on gauges using the Fiat documents.  A guy on a Ducati forum is using a modified ECU with his own software running on another processor, combined with AFR sensors to play with fueling/tuning of his bike on the move!

So there is a modest set of info that you can request from the ECU and this would be displayed on a small OLED screen.

Adding a GPS (which are cheap these days) will give speed, or could use a mag pickup on a wheel or shaft. From that and RPM, I should also be able to show gear position.

Will post a few pics when I get a prototype knocked up!

If anyone is interested in the ECU document: http://download.fiatforum.bg/Diagnostic/Eobd/fiat_marelli.pdf

Not found one specifically for the Guzzi ECU, but I believe the command and responses are similar.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, antmanbee said:

http://christian.giupponi.free.fr/Android/SCANM5X.HTM

This is something similar to what you are talking about? Different ECU though.

Yes. Going for an android phone solution is another way to do it. Especially if you already have your phone mounted on the bike for sat nav etc.

I am thinking of a device small enough to replace the dodgy tacho with...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=scantwin.scanm16

This app uses an android phone through a mini usb cable rather than a bluetooth adapter. It works for a 15M, 15RC and a 16M.

If you could get the readings from the ECU like this app and then add a GPS speedo and large compass with the ability to make a large easy to read display on a phone, this could replace the gauge cluster completely. It would be even better. 

it would have,

speedo

tach

temp

compass

clock

volts 

On 4/18/2019 at 9:48 AM, rich888 said:

No worries, actually I think I read some old posts by yourself about doing something similar?

One of my objectives is a working tacho! LOL!

I did mess around with using an Arduino to display the throttle position, basically it read the 5volt modified output from the TPS and displayed it on an LED display as the throttle cells.   Worked OK but I soon realised what others have found.  Going fast while looking at an LED not really that safe. I suspect that is why Cliff moved away from his bike mounted MyEcu Optimiser display.  Probably realised selling things to a careless rider in the States can lead to litigation.

Do like your ideas, I was hoping to play around with datalogging on the cheap.  I must have a poke around and see what I can do.  How important is a rev counter on a lumbering old VTwin, especially one with a programmable Rev Limiter via Guzzidiag. I would just be happy if I could find a working Speedo!

16 minutes ago, 68C said:

I did mess around with using an Arduino to display the throttle position, basically it read the 5volt modified output from the TPS and displayed it on an LED display as the throttle cells.   Worked OK but I soon realised what others have found.  Going fast while looking at an LED not really that safe. I suspect that is why Cliff moved away from his bike mounted MyEcu Optimiser display.  Probably realised selling things to a careless rider in the States can lead to litigation.

Do like your ideas, I was hoping to play around with datalogging on the cheap.  I must have a poke around and see what I can do.  How important is a rev counter on a lumbering old VTwin, especially one with a programmable Rev Limiter via Guzzidiag. I would just be happy if I could find a working Speedo!

Ha! Yes the seat of your pants tacho works pretty well.

My speedo is also of the "I'm waving at you" type.

Vague-lia gauges. goto love them.

A gps speedo is cheap to add, which gps modules coming in at under £5 these days...

Wouldn't mind trying to see if I could compute the fuel consumption too.

I have been learning some more about the KL interface. It's not a  simple tx/rx. The data for send and receive all goes over the K wire. There's a chip that handles all that, or you can use 4 op-amps like my cheapo USB KKL adaptor does.

I have still not found a definative list of commands available from the 15M ECU, but what GuzziDiag offers ties up closely to the Fiat specification for the P8 ecu.