Racetech fork valves

nobleswood

I am considering upgrading my forks by having Racetech valves installed. Having read through some of the articles posted thought I'd ask the collective wisdom about what is currently available for 43mm Marzocchi's and what should I be considering for spirited road riding but not track caliber.

Thanks

(Regardless of how you change the damping, take the trouble to have the springs spec'd to your weight in gear and sag selection. Springs are typically under $100US. )

I agree. While RaceTech valves or other brand valves are awesome I think springs are the most important aspect of suspension.

• Like 1

Let me re - phrase;

I have found someone local that I'm going to start working on my suspension with, beginning with the forks. He has worked with RaceTech & is very impressed with them. So yes we'll be considering the springs as well, but as I don't carry much weight ( said he sucking it all in ) the thought was the springs would still be usable. 

But I'm open to ideas, suggestions. Just thought I'd pick the brains of those who'd gone before me before being bewildered by the Dark Arts.

Novice question here: the Marzocchi's are damping rod forks not the cartridge type I believe ?:huh:

Springs are easy to tell. Measure sag, measure how much it sags without you on board and measure how much it sags with you on board. Using those three data points (fully extended, sag under just the weight of the motorcycle, and sag under the weight of you on the motorcycle) you can figure out if the springs are the right rate. Add preload (or remove preload) until the sag with you on board is around 20% - 25% of the total suspension travel. Then see if sag under just the weight of the motorcycle is around 10% - 15% of travel. If sag under just the weight of the bike is too much when sag with you on board is right your springs are too stiff. If sag under just the weight of the motorcycle is too little when sag with you on board is right your springs are too soft. That is because it takes too much preload to get the sag with you on board right if your springs are too soft. 

There are at least two different versions of 'zooki's. To my knowledge both are cartridge forks. Simple cartridge forks, but cartridge none the less.

On the earlier version of 'zooki's like on my wifes red frame V11 the compression dampening is non-existent as built because there is too much oil bypassing the valving stack. To get it to work better we blocked one of the two bypass holes so that oil actually had to flow through the valving stack. It worked much better after that and the dampening adjuster actually did something. Before all the adjuster did was affect the last inch of travel because that is when the piston passed the bypass holes.

• Like 2

Guzzimoto,

I remember your article from a few years back welding up one of the oils in the fork tube.

Advice taken. I'll get some numbers & revisit setting the sag.

Mind you now I think about it, the Griso forks are due for a 19K service so they might get the upgrades first. :rolleyes:

I've done the Racetech package (gold valves and springs )on my 1998 Suzuki Bandit.   Made a big difference.   It's still not as good as my Sport with stock suspension.

I think the V11 fork is a little stiff was stiff on my 2001.  Made huge difference just to soften it with the adjusters.

I had Guzzitech work their magic on my forks, including the gold valve emulators. They work awesome, but if I was to do it again I would follow Guzzimoto and Docc’s advice. Seal up  some of the oil bypass and get the proper springs.

No complaints though

The Racetech Gold Valves are replacements for cartridge forks while the Gold Valve Emulators are installed on conventional forks, hence "emulators".  

As I recall, with the emulators you weld up some of the holes in the damper rod and enlarge others so that all the oil must go through the emulator. Not to unlike the issue we have with the cartridge forks on the wife's V11.

I had Todd Eagan rebuild my forks including new valves and springs, best upgrade I ever did for my bike.

Money well spent. Do it.