MISTRAL V-TWIN BOOST

nuevototem

It looks to be a widget that fools the system into adding more fuel, as everyone assumes that emissions means lean and to make it run better you need more fuel. That is an incorrect assumption.

Word on the street is it fudges the temp sensor to trick the ecu into adding more fuel. I would not install one on any of my motorcycles.

• Like 1

Anything that promises miracles from an 'Add On' especially a 'Cheap' one, is bollocks sold by fuquetards and spivs whose only interest is in transferring as much of your money as they can get away with into their wallets.

Don't be a mug.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 11/1/2019 at 6:35 PM, Ray Sandoz said:

If you have an air temperature sensor, you can use it. I've installed them on newer 1200 sports and grisos and they work great. 

But welcome to the forum.

Glad to have you.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 7:50 AM, GuzziMoto said:

But welcome to the forum.

Glad to have you.

Yeah, sorry if I seemed a bit vehement in my response, it wasn't meant to be an attack on you Ray but after twelve years of dealing with W5AM bikes that have had these 'Simple fixes' used on them I know that they can not only be ineffective but also downright damaging.

All of these bits of shit work on the principle of 'Fooling' the ECU into delivering more fuel. Many of them, an example being the 'Fat Duc' product are a variable resistor that goes in between the narrow band O2 sensor in the exhaust and the ECU. This supposedly 'Tricks' the ECU into thinking that the engine is running lean and adjusts the parameters in the closed loop area of the map to make the injector pulse with longer. The problem is that what it really does is simply confuse the ECU and it can end up going into a tailspin where it adds far, far too much fuel. It then recognises there is a problem and throws up a 'Service' warning on the dash and drops the bike into 'Limp' mode. You can feel when this happens. It feels like arse! The overfuelling can also do substantial damage over time.

The Mistral device is also simply an variable resistor only it goes between the air temperature sensor and the ECU. This is even more spectacularly useless. When initially installed it will create a rich condition, once again very crudely, but the problem is the O2 sensor will detect the rich condition and then, over a short period of time, will pull fuel out of the pulse width until it recognises the mix is what it thinks it should be.

All these horrid little widgets tend to thrive because a.) People are wary or downright scared of Fuel Injection. And b.) People think they are a cheap and easy magic bullet. 

They are neither!

The air temperature fooler device could be used to, very crudely, enriched the mixture if you download the map, open it with a tool like Tunerpro and turn the lambda function, (The O2 sensor input.) off and re-upload the modified map. The thing is you wouldn't want to.

The common belief is that 'Modern bike's are mapped lean to meet emissions'. This is in fact the almost exact opposite of the truth. Most maps are rich and then rely on the lambda input to pull fuel out of the map to meet the emissions target. If you turn the lambda off in most of the map the very last thing you want to do is put more fuel in!

The other thing is if you are going to turn the lambda off you have to read the map, modify it and re-upload it. If you are going to do that why not just get, (Or build.) a decent map for your bike and upload it? All you need is Guzzidiag, Reader and Writer, two cables and a beater laptop! The map will probably be cheaper than one of these shitty widgets and you need to have the cables and laptop for tuning the bike anyway.

Sorry, I didn't mean to jump down Ray's throat but these things, and the people who spruik them, really piss me off.

Pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Might as well bolt a Holley 600 cfm four barrel on it. That'll give it some fuel!  Far better, in my limited experience, to work on incremental increases in the flow of intake and exhaust. The '04 models have 9.8:1 compression, and with a very old combustion chamber design, and relatively inefficient air-cooling, that is pushing it. If she could handle more, I think MG would have given that to us. The engine may be close to its thermal limit, and that is best respected.

• Like 1

That's the funniest thing I've read in a long X ! When that goes to Hell , you can remove the air cleaners . A Holley is guaranteed to backfire and start a fire . Burn the bike and collect the insurance ! 

19 hours ago, po18guy said:

Might as well bolt a Holley 600 cfm four barrel on it. ...

Looked it up. Man, now I need one. Aren't they cute? All that chrome and brass and those levers and and and ...

6 hours ago, luhbo said:

Looked it up. Man, now I need one. Aren't they cute? All that chrome and brass and those levers and and and ...

Oh , they are righteous , with a few problems . I had one on a 70 Mustang 351c 4spd . I had a 600 cfm double pumper with a chrome dual line I installed on it .

I was George Thorogood in that car !

• Like 1

^^^^^I built a 351 Cleveland, turbo charged it, and had a 600 Holley double pumper. It wasn't enough carb. (!) Ended up with a 750. Bad mofo, that was.. :grin: Used a primitive water/alcohol injection into the secondaries metered with an aquarium needle valve. :rasta:  Used a windshield washer pump triggered with a pressure gizmo (technical term) in the intake manifold when the manifold came up to 2 psi positive.