RAM clutch?

sp838

7 hours ago, sp838 said:

So browsing HMB Guzzi, I found this:  https://hmb-guzzi.de/Clutch-hub-RAM-single-disc-clutch

Just from the photo it looks like the outer gear part is the correct height, but the inner shouldered part looks much higher than on our stock hubs. There is also no description of what the inner splines are like. Makes me wonder though... Might be worthwhile to try to get in touch with them to find out more.

I saw that image Scud during research and assumed it was for a 5 speed transmission with a RAM single plate clutch assy. It looks too difficult to modify and too many questions. I'm sure the twin plate unit could simply be surface ground back to whats required without too much hassle if needed.

Ciao

So, there are two RAM "conversions" at hand:

1) V11 single plate/aluminum flywheel (Scura/Tenni/Rosso Mandello) ----> RAM "5speed" clutch/flywheel unit using the existing V11 6speed single plate input hub ?

2) V11 twin plate/ steel flywheel (all other V11/ all years) ----> RAM "5speed" clutch/flywheel unit using a sourced V11 single plate input hub (or, perhaps, a modified twin plate input hub)?

(Leaving the pushrod/ push button adaptation alone for this post and only focusing on the hub.)

5 hours ago, docc said:

So, there are two RAM "conversions" at hand:

1) V11 single plate/aluminum flywheel (Scura/Tenni/Rosso Mandello) ----> RAM "5speed" clutch/flywheel unit using the existing V11 6speed single plate input hub ?

2) V11 twin plate/ steel flywheel (all other V11/ all years) ----> RAM "5speed" clutch/flywheel unit using a sourced V11 single plate input hub (or, perhaps, a modified twin plate input hub)?

(Leaving the pushrod/ push button adaptation alone for this post and only focusing on the hub.)

You got it docc. except add 5 speed NON FLYWHEEL SENSOR kit. Also the latest RAM single plate unit has a steel flywheel as opposed to the aluminium unit and is around 1 kg heavier than the original alloy one. This is if my memory serves me from a post by scud I think. There was also nothing wrong with the RAM alloy flywheel as opposed to the Guzzi alloy unit which had a habit of failing.

My Dayton engine has a RAM alloy clutch with a plate that Pete Roper recons has a fairly short life. I'm a bit of a nanny with clutches so I guess we'll see how it goes.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

I was thinking Flywheel sensors are pre-V11? You're saying the RAM flywheel (for the 5speed) has to be modified for the V11?

4 hours ago, docc said:

I was thinking Flywheel sensors are pre-V11? You're saying the RAM flywheel (for the 5speed) has to be modified for the V11?

I believe RAM make a version for bikes with a flywheel mounted ignition sensor or maybe they just denote it as such in the description. Some versions of the big block engine have a flywheel mounted ignition sensor and I believe RAM make a version for those. 

Ciao

46 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

I believe RAM make a version for bikes with a flywheel mounted ignition sensor or maybe they just denote it as such in the description. Some versions of the big block engine have a flywheel mounted ignition sensor and I believe RAM make a version for those. 

Ciao

So, if buying the RAM unit for a V11, select the "NON FLYWHEEL SENSOR" version? Or is there an additional  "kit" to source?

45 minutes ago, docc said:

So, if buying the RAM unit for a V11, select the "NON FLYWHEEL SENSOR" version? Or is there an additional  "kit" to source?

Its probably not an issue anymore docc as I dont think RAM make the flywheel sensor kit anymore. MG cyxle still denote the latest kit for bikes without flywheel pickup so carbed bike  owners dont buy them or know they must modify them I guess. They were for the carbed bikes I now realize but I think they would still fit the V11 anyway. Note the 4 plated cap screws on the periphery of the flywheel for the flywheel ignition pickup equipped bikes. If they caused an interference issue on a V11 you could just remove them. 

Image result for guzzi big block flywheels sensor

Ciao

• Thanks 1

My single plate hub is out for delivery, I should have it today! No word from HMB on shipment of the RAM kit. I'll try to reach them on Monday, they don't answer emails and only answer the phone for a small window of hours a day which is very annoying.

Once I get the kit, I'm wondering what to be looking for on the parts that might indicate conpatibility or lack thereof, before actually taking anything on the bike apart... This is the kit again: https://hmb-guzzi.de/RAM-single-disc-clutch

I can't really tell for sure if it's the same one MG Cycle has... *Pretty sure all the bikes listed are carbureted models.** (see edit below)

Looking at their photo vs. the one Phil posted above, theirs doesn't have those bolts going through on the edge of the flywheel.

EDITED TO ADD: Among the compatible bikes listed on the HMB product page is the California 1100 EV which -does- have a "flywheel" or Phase/revolution sensor, with the same part number as ours!!! the plot thickens... The Cali EV uses the same double clutch internals but not the same flywheel or starter ring gear or springs. 

• Like 1

You are aware I'm sure but, you'll want to take note of flywheel position as you remove it. Reason being, the crank position mark may be hard to see or gone altogether. The marks on your new clutch may not be the same "font" (?) or characters... but will be in the same positions as the stocker. Just note which one's up, and duplicate it with the new one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

large.B214D798-DFE8-4770-A6F9-70BDBF4FE581.jpeglarge.C70D268A-670A-493D-A5BE-667EC7FBC851.jpeglarge.0A85855A-A8DA-4071-849D-B375CDA5591D.jpeglarge.06CA3B0D-1E0F-4FD9-A837-7C86CE648657.jpeglarge.789E0768-F1C8-4792-A6A3-C724C7C63315.jpeg

Just received what very well might be the world's last NOS 6 speed single clutch disc hub...  Fingers crossed for the rest!

• Like 1

I have an actuating rod from a dual plate '03 and it measures 203mm in length by 8mm

I have the OEM 6spd clutch actuating rod receiving cup, or "button" with a hole measuring 8.68mm. I don't have the rod to measure length as it's in the bike.

I had, and threw out, a 5spd clutch. I measured the "button" hole and posted it somewhere on the forum in one of our conversion threads. I believe it's smaller in dia. maybe 6 or 7mm?? Sorry