RAM clutch?

sp838

On 5/25/2019 at 5:01 AM, sp838 said:

Got the included hub out, single plate V11 hub fits like a glove. And yes, the hammer was necessary. large.3F7E0AD0-D823-4AFB-9AD7-4F462EB46BD4.jpeg

May I ask where you bought this 6speed input hub?:)

4 hours ago, Tinus89 said:

where you bought this 6speed input hub?

On ebay from a gentleman in the Netherlands. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sp838 said:

On ebay from a gentleman in the Netherlands. 

Thanks for calling me a gentleman:rolleyes:

• Like 2

On 5/4/2019 at 2:30 PM, footgoose said:

any wondering as to who the mfg of the exploding flywheel is cleared up here. can't believe I never noticed it before...

IMG_0947.JPG

That is the pressure plate, not the flywheel? Does it say RAM on the flywheel?

22 minutes ago, swooshdave said:

That is the pressure plate, not the flywheel? Does it say RAM on the flywheel?

there are no markings on the flywheel, however, it would seem that a single plate clutch system that was designed for specific oem use in 3 model variations, would be supplied to MG by one source. Especially given the uniqueness and compatibility of said kit. Now, ... RAM could very well have outsourced the flywheel and probably did.. to a casting vendor,  but I doubt MG made it. Without some "inside" info or markings, I doubt we'll ever know. Safe to say - don't ever install one.

Guzzi (circa 2000) "it'd be cool to put a lightened flywheel in some of the new models... hey RAM, what'dya think?"

RAM  ... "no problem"

• Like 1

You are probably right.

Although if RAM was responsibly for the flywheels I'm sure Guzzi would have come after them and RAM might not be around today.

Regardless it looks like RAM learned a lesson and doesn't offer aluminum flywheels.

52 minutes ago, gstallons said:

Well , when something fails , is it the vendor or did RAM build them what they asked for ?

My recollection is that Guzzi used RAM components for the single plate clutch with the exception of the flywheel which was a non RAM unit. I've not heard of a RAM aluminium flywheel failing and I doubt that RAM would still have been selling them 12 years after they started to fail on the std bikes if they were an issue.

It sounds to me like the brew ha ha from the 80's with regards to Magnesium wheels on road Ducati's. Speedline Magnesium wheels were problematical for a time and Campagnolo mag wheels which were fine got caught up in the whole "Magnesium motorcycle wheels are fragile and dangerous" debate and legislation. I experience a bad crash with a Ducati fitted with Campags and can tell you they bend and not shatter. 

Same here with regards to RAM flywheels I think and they probably just went to steel as the weight saving with alloy is negligible. Steels probably cheaper as well.

Ciao 

So after days of staring at these parts, I have a fresh round of concerns. I'm hoping maybe someone has some clutch parts laying around that might help shed some light on them one way or another. Looking at the hub provided with the kit compared to the hub for our bikes, the one from the kit has a much longer collar for attaching to the gearbox primary shaft. The gear is also about 1mm taller:

large.D12ADE27-A9B9-4712-8A1A-D35FF9EACD8C.jpeg

Hub included with kit protrudes about 20mm from the total height of the clutch:

large.F567C4DA-BE9F-48E7-8600-A776B75EBC1C.jpeg

The hub for our bikes barely clears the height of the clutch stack if at all:

large.CF0A9302-A169-42F5-BF36-E9F301EF924A.jpeg

The top of the drive splines sits about 6mm below the top of the clutch:

large.2DCD7564-1D35-4EC0-B1F0-A08139D8A97B.jpeg

So my question is, does the primary gear shaft in our bikes protrude from the case enough to make up this difference?

Now I am also wondering also if the total height of this clutch matches the height of the stock clutch in my bike. Here is the total height, it's roughly 55-56mm:

large.6BC8C056-A976-456C-A716-19E1198012D4.jpeg

If anyone still has their old stock single plate clutch laying around, or even a double plate would be useful too, I'd love to know how they compare to these measurements, most importantly what the stack height is.

And the protrusion of the primary gear shaft is also a huge concern... Thanks guys. Would obviously be great to have this all figured out before I open the bike up which is why I'm being so needy... I'd be fine with just calling it off and returning these parts if that what the conclusion is.

On 5/4/2019 at 5:26 PM, footgoose said:

here is my Tenni OEM clutch. Pre detonation.

Do you still have thee parts?

On 5/25/2019 at 11:18 AM, docc said:

Tomchri's [hub and primary gear shaft]

yikes, looking at these photos doesn't make me feel very good about the amount of protrusion of the primary gear shaft, and the clearance of the case behind it... :unsure:

So, is it correct to say when installing the (5speed) RAM clutch/flywheel the input hub must be for the V11 single plate clutch (Rosso Mandello, Tenni, Scura)?

Isn't this what footgoose accomplished on his Tenni?

59 minutes ago, docc said:

Isn't this what footgoose accomplished on his Tenni?

dunno, did he? I'd feel a lot more confident about trying it if I had a better understanding of the dimensions of all these parts. Looking at the photos you posted from inside the clutch housing, it looks like things are very close on the gearbox side.