Jump to content
ready180a

Can’t shift past 3rd gear v11

Recommended Posts

Hi I have recently brought a 2000 v11 rosso mandello from a good friend, to cut a long story short I brought the bike in bits to restore/ reassemble but it hadent had the gear box recall done . I tracked down a well  known guzzi specialist who was willing to take on the job . 

I now have the bike reassembled (with the recall being done on the gearbox) but I can’t get it in to 4th gear with out tapping the gear leaver down slightly and then quickly pulling it up . (It is smooth in to 1st , 2nd and 3rd Abd once past 4th it’s smooth in to ,5th and 6th . 

I have taken the preselector plate off and can change the gears in the box in the correct order by moving the forks and can run the selector plate through all 6 gears and neutral smoothly . But when assembled it’s the same. 

Does any one have any advice or tips on what could be causing this ? 

Kind regards Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You haven’t nipped up the long allen bolt on the lever have you?   It wants a wee bit o slop in it or it binds.  Which is a bind.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stewgnu said:

You haven’t nipped up the long allen bolt on the lever have you?   It wants a wee bit o slop in it or it binds.  Which is a bind.

Thank you for your reply , I have checked this and it’s ok . It’s like it hits something solid and just won’t lift up in to 4th . Such a shame I just want to ride the dam thing !!! . 

Regards Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have nothing for you. If the pre selector is working properly.. I dunno.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check that your linkage is correct. I can post a pic of mine in a few minutes.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ready180a said:

Hi I have recently brought a 2000 v11 rosso mandello from a good friend, to cut a long story short I brought the bike in bits to restore/ reassemble but it hadent had the gear box recall done . I tracked down a well  known guzzi specialist who was willing to take on the job . 

I now have the bike reassembled (with the recall being done on the gearbox) but I can’t get it in to 4th gear with out tapping the gear leaver down slightly and then quickly pulling it up . (It is smooth in to 1st , 2nd and 3rd Abd once past 4th it’s smooth in to ,5th and 6th . 

I have taken the preselector plate off and can change the gears in the box in the correct order by moving the forks and can run the selector plate through all 6 gears and neutral smoothly . But when assembled it’s the same. 

Does any one have any advice or tips on what could be causing this ? 

Kind regards Tony 

Sounds like the main shift eccentric stop is out of adjustment. Check out the V11 shift improvement sticky thread and pull the selector assembly off and adjust it on the bench. Don't attempt it on the bike.

ciao

 

[docc/edit/link: V11 Shift improvement in "How To . . ."

Thanks docc I'm working remote at the moment.

ciao

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be hard to see with the starter in the way but if you’re way off you’ll know

6C9CECF2-5424-4A23-912F-E46CFDEBC9FF.jpeg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, czakky said:

Might be hard to see with the starter in the way but if you’re way off you’ll know

6C9CECF2-5424-4A23-912F-E46CFDEBC9FF.jpeg

Hi thanks for the heads up and photo my adjuster rod looks to be adjusted longer than yours in the picture 

Have you Changed yours ? 

 

Tony  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

Sounds like the main shift eccentric stop is out of adjustment. Check out the V11 shift improvement sticky thread and pull the selector assembly off and adjust it on the bench. Don't attempt it on the bike.

ciao

 

[docc/edit/link: V11 Shift improvement in "How To . . ."

Thank you for taking the time to reply , as far as I know the preselector wasn’t touched during the rebuild Would it be likely you have to adjust it to suit the new drive dogs ? 

Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ready180a said:

Thank you for taking the time to reply , as far as I know the preselector wasn’t touched during the rebuild Would it be likely you have to adjust it to suit the new drive dogs ? 

Tony 

No it shouldn't need adjusting after updating but it's worth checking as people have been known to fiddle with it anyway to try and improve the shift action. It seems you don't actually know how the box shifted before it was pulled down and updated, is that right?

it sounds like the selector is over shifting the drive sleeve and jamming the selector arm and not allowing it to release so it can be in position to engage the selector wheel pin for the next gear.

does your gearbox selector assembly have the second smaller accentric adjustment for the selector arm? 

I suspect it doesn't as its too early but you never know. If it does that could also be in the frame as a cause.

ciao

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you have a problem with the ratchet arm not dropping onto the pins, I've seen this on at least 2 bikes and found the solution, the selector cover will need to come off and a small mod with a file

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Lucky Phil said:

No it shouldn't need adjusting after updating but it's worth checking as people have been known to fiddle with it anyway to try and improve the shift action. It seems you don't actually know how the box shifted before it was pulled down and updated, is that right?

it sounds like the selector is over shifting the drive sleeve and jamming the selector arm and not allowing it to release so it can be in position to engage the selector wheel pin for the next gear.

does your gearbox selector assembly have the second smaller accentric adjustment for the selector arm? 

I suspect it doesn't as its too early but you never know. If it does that could also be in the frame as a cause.

ciao

 

Hi, I have contact with the original owner and he has confirmed that the gear box had no faults with it except it needing the recall done . 

Unfortunately it doesn’t have the extra adjustment on the selector arm just the fixed roll pin .  

Insee what your saying with regards to it over shifting . I have shifted it to 3rd and then removed the cover to see exactly what’s going on but it doesn’t appear to be any problem in there but it is hard to see . 

I really am hoping I haven’t got to take the gear box back out as it’s a big job . 

Regards Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Steve S said:

Sounds like you have a problem with the ratchet arm not dropping onto the pins, I've seen this on at least 2 bikes and found the solution, the selector cover will need to come off and a small mod with a file

 That sounds like a good thing to at least try ? Would you be able to elaborate on what I would need to modify? 

 regards Tony 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ready180a said:

Hi thanks for the heads up and photo my adjuster rod looks to be adjusted longer than yours in the picture 

Have you Changed yours ? 

 

Tony  

I’m sure mines been adjusted.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before you blame the insides of the transmission I would make sure the external linkage isn't binding on anything. The distance the lever moves to change gears is not the same between all the gears, it seems to have to move farther as you go to higher gears. This can cause an issue with the linkage binding that was not there when shifting between the lower gears.

KISS. Check the simple stuff first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...