Riding gear

Admin Jaap

Today I received my new riding boots and it occured to me that we never had a riding gear topic. So here it goes: what do you ride in? A full BMW sahara suit, jeans, t-shirt and sneakers? Or something in between?

revit-scout-h2o-motorlaars.jpg

I just bought these Rev'It H20 boots, waterproof, very comfy and good protection.

• Like 1

Aerostich Roadcrafter one piece, grey/ Alpinestar boots/ Shoei Neotec

(Olympia one piece ventilated for summer)

Stretch jeans, leather jacket, A pair of Dainese brown boots, (I prefer gear that looks like normal clothes) Hi-Viz yellow Schubert C3 and a Hit-Air vest. 

We ride in Aerostitch Roadcrafter 2 piece suits. Sometimes we wear the pants and jacket, sometimes we wear just the jacket. The wife has a couple different pairs of motorcycle boots, I used to wear motorcycle boots but I have gotten lazy about that and now tend to wear generic work boots.

We both always wear full face helmets and motorcycle gloves. Our favorite helmets are Arai, but we both own a variety of helmets. When comfort matters most, like on longer rides, the Arai helmets are the go to. My favorite gloves are RS Tachi, they are the nicest gloves I have ever worn. But we also each have at least one set of deer skin gloves. They are comfy and durable. I also have a set of elk skin gloves I like.

I've got a full Motoport riding suit, Daytona security boots with Sidi adventure boots as backup, Helimot racer gloves and either a Shoei or Shark full face lid. I was hit by cars 3 times last year (1. Car jumped a red and hit me dead while I was making a protected left turn. 2. Car switched lanes into me and bumped me, resulting in serious lowside 3. Tesla pulled a left when she shouldn't have and I t-bones into her passenger door and few over her car) and crash nearly tested all my pieces of gear. Besides having my leg broken from the first crash (I was wearing old TXC boots that had worn out at that point) I somehow had no major injuries from the others.

By the way, I like those boots, Jaap.

I have worn plenty of racing style boots, and they are a good thing to wear. But now I am older and I find that boots like that are more useful to me.

7 hours ago, GuzziMoto said:

We ride in Aerostitch Roadcrafter 2 piece suits. Sometimes we wear the pants and jacket, sometimes we wear just the jacket. The wife has a couple different pairs of motorcycle boots, I used to wear motorcycle boots but I have gotten lazy about that and now tend to wear generic work boots.

We both always wear full face helmets and motorcycle gloves. Our favorite helmets are Arai, but we both own a variety of helmets. When comfort matters most, like on longer rides, the Arai helmets are the go to. My favorite gloves are RS Tachi, they are the nicest gloves I have ever worn. But we also each have at least one set of deer skin gloves. They are comfy and durable. I also have a set of elk skin gloves I like.

This describes me. But for Shoei GT Air, and Held

• Like 1

Motoport mesh police pants (custom fit), Joe Rocket mesh in summer, Olympia 3 season in winter.  AStar boots on road, Klim boots off road. Frogg Toggs and Powerlet jacket when raining or snowing.

I wear Mars Leathers Le mans jacket and separate pants.

These are old school leathers made locally in Melbourne and still in the old motorcycling mecca of Elizabeth st.

Been there for a very long time too.

Rukka gloves and Daytona Roadstar gtx boots with a Shoei helmet.

Usually ride with a Kreiga backpack which contains my cheapo wet weather top and bottom.

Thats my set up.

Cheers Guzzler

Just got a Merlin Anson classic looking jacket. https://images.app.goo.gl/yCng4x63Q4rk2S7z6

My usual jacket is my Vanson, at 5 years old it might be broken in now. Feels safe, though I never tested it. Some days it feels like it might’ve shrunk in the trunk area....:huh2:

Arai helmet

My favorite boots are 20 years old and on the third sole, there replacement is getting broken in.

Gloves are usually cheap leather gloves that fit.... I’m open to suggestions.

Vanson leather jacket - with perforations and zip-up windblockers. Vanson leather roadrace pants - typically only for sporting rides, not commuting. I just sent my jacket back to Vanson for a zipper repair, which they did for free. They cleaned it and conditioned it too (also free). What a great company.

Dianese - boots and gloves.

Arai for helmets - they are usually the best fit for me.

Totally different stuff for off-road riding. I wear a full impact rig and just got some Bohn padded pants to go under my Klim Dakar suit. 

• Like 1

I’m 5’8” with weight always fluctuating between 165-185# (tending to stay on the higher end lately) so I keep the equivalent of large and medium sized gear in jacket and pants so I always have something that fits right.

Jacket: Rukka Merlin (50), Rukka Armas (48)

Pants: BMW City 2 pants are a great fit for me and adequately padded for daily commuting.  Not too heavy weight yet warm enough for a California coastal winter.  I keep these in a Large and Medium.  

Boots:  Daytona Road Star GTX

Helmet: Shoei RF 1200 (Daijiro Kato replica because it looks cool and I like the hi-viz graphics). 

Gloves: Daniese 4 stroke evo.  Currently looking to upgrade to something a little warmer.  

Jaap - how are those low boots for walking/hiking? After my recent trip to Utah, where I wore high motorcycle boots and packed hiking boots, I am seriously thinking about the Forma Adventure Low boots.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DW4SGQK?pf_rd_p=f3acc539-5d5f-49a3-89ea-768a917d5900&pf_rd_r=4QBRYD6EWZ36T7S69RWQ&th=1

One less pair of boots on a trip makes a big difference in the saddlebags...

4 hours ago, Scud said:

Jaap - how are those low boots for walking/hiking? After my recent trip to Utah, where I wore high motorcycle boots and packed hiking boots, I am seriously thinking about the Forma Adventure Low boots.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DW4SGQK?pf_rd_p=f3acc539-5d5f-49a3-89ea-768a917d5900&pf_rd_r=4QBRYD6EWZ36T7S69RWQ&th=1

One less pair of boots on a trip makes a big difference in the saddlebags...

from the link.....

" Special nylon mid-sole with steel shank "  = has my interest, and would indicate an advantage (to my feet anyway) in hiking. As far as the strap buckles.... I've had about 50/50 success with those on other brands. Very convenient and great for riding. For walking/hiking, as the boots loosen up, may not give the ankle/arch support my feeble feet need. I have a 20 yr old pair of Icon Low with a fantastic strap/buckle system.  The Forma look like a great boot all around.