Riding gear

Admin Jaap

Gosh we’re spoiled rotten these days; so much great kit to be had.

Me boots: Alpinestars smx-5.  Not claimed w/proof, but not even rainy scotchland could broach them!  Fit my plates so well.

Summer gloves: Used to be pair after pair of alpinestars sp3’s, can’t get em anymore, boo hoo, but icon axys pretty good.

Winter gloves: HeinGericke Pathan ‘lobster’ gloves. Toasty yet cumbersome, also not available anymore, but after crashing my last ones i found a second-hand pair on ebay for twenty quid thank you baby jesus.

Me jacket: Icon basehawk.  Amazing- so thin so light so murdered, yet so warm and w/proof.  Great vents+pocketses.  Can’t say i’ve used the hood yet and there’s no reflective bits, but i love it.

-edit: Used the hood t’other day- it’s marvelous.

Me hat: Roof boxer.  I’ve had 4 of these- they’re ace.  Full face for rain, midgies and 90mph+, open face for everything else.  They’re big, and i’m slim, so i look like a lollypop.  But worth it for sheer versatility.

Keks: Kevlar jeans usually or Oxford w/proofers for the bad-weather times.  Recent years i had got into the habit of wearing normal jeans but then a lowside illustrated how sliding 30 yards will make one reassess...  Damn blind taxi driver... mutter mutter... grumble.. bitch moan....

Edited by stewgnu
Update

10 hours ago, Scud said:

Jaap - how are those low boots for walking/hiking? After my recent trip to Utah, where I wore high motorcycle boots and packed hiking boots, I am seriously thinking about the Forma Adventure Low boots.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DW4SGQK?pf_rd_p=f3acc539-5d5f-49a3-89ea-768a917d5900&pf_rd_r=4QBRYD6EWZ36T7S69RWQ&th=1

One less pair of boots on a trip makes a big difference in the saddlebags...

Hi, Scud.. I bought a pair of the Forma Adventure Lows to replace my ancient Sidi On Roads. So far, the jury is still out. The good is they are wide, and don't squeeze my paddle feet. :oldgit:The hardware appears to be good. The bad is they are pretty stiff.. still not broken in I'm assuming.. and there is a place in the front that rubs on my leg. They *do* appear to be quite well made. I did a fair amount of hiking in my On Roads on my trip down the California Coast last month, and the Formas would have failed in the same situation. I'm thinking (hoping) that they will be fine once broken in, though. :huh2:

On 5/4/2019 at 3:28 PM, Scud said:

Jaap - how are those low boots for walking/hiking? ...

Haven't tried 'm yet , but they're quite sturdy. If I went for a long hike I would take my normal hiking shoes, as they are a lot lighter.
My guess is that the Rev'Its are perfect for walking around a track for a day. A lot better than my Sidi semi-racing boots with their thin sole.

Scud, I spent all day in the Formas yesterday. A pair of smart wool socks took care of the rubbing on my shin. For new boots, they were quite comfortable. I'm a happy camper.

adding a bit more detail.... For day rides I have 2 Vanson. A grey full perf for hot, and a black half perf for cooler days. If I went down I'd be very glad to have one of these jackets on. They fit so nice in riding position, but a bit stiff and "shaped" for any walking around. The full perf is older and really comfortable. I keep lite armor in shoulder and elbow only, in this one. All areas including back get heavy armor for the half perf. My Roadcrafter has all but hip armor. I should get that.

Helmets are very personal. Some fit some heads, some don't. Schuberth feels like a bucket, Arai too wide on my bean. Shoei feel like they were made for me. They must use the same test dummies. Model after model, the same great fit. The GT Air is my latest, and greatest. The hide-away sunscreen visor is perfect. No need to carry xtra visors, and it doesn't foul if you're wearing glasses, OR go down too far, giving you a 'peek' under it if needed (tunnels).

Older Nolan used to fit me well, but the older generation modular were too big (exterior) and too noisy. Their newer ones look better in photos. Anyone using a late model Nolan modular? like N100-5? Or?

My A star boots are still lovely after all these years -- for touring. My A star waterproof gloves, are not waterproof or lovely.

20 hours ago, footgoose said:

oooo, I like that cinch system! wonder if it will outlast the boot. It breaks, yer %$#@d.

Probably 10-15 trips with them so far, so good.  Seems tough, comes from the medical aids industry.

5 hours ago, cash1000 said:

Dirider High Vis jacket and trousers, TCX boots, Shoei GT Air Helmet, 5 Gloves plus Alpine ear Plugs

Ear plugs: can be a necessity depending on what cans you’ve got installed!  My old mivvs were beautifully horrendous

2 hours ago, stewgnu said:

Ear plugs: can be a necessity depending on what cans you’ve got installed!  My old mivvs were beautifully horrendous

Ear plugs are a necessity. Period. The wind noise alone will damage your hearing. Trust me on this..

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Ear plugs are a necessity. Period. The wind noise alone will damage your hearing. Trust me on this..

Good point. Yes, earplugs.

I wear Surefire EP4's and carry a spare pair in my bag. Riding with earplugs reduces fatigue on longer rides, too.

It's amazing, after getting used to riding with them, how loud it is without them.

51 minutes ago, JBBenson said:

Good point. Yes, earplugs.

I wear Surefire EP4's and carry a spare pair in my bag. Riding with earplugs reduces fatigue on longer rides, too.

It's amazing, after getting used to riding with them, how loud it is without them.

Yep, I've been using ear plugs for the last 20 years on the bike. I did a short 5 or 6 klm ride in the suburbs about 2 years ago without them and was shocked at how bad it was.

Ciao 

I had ear plugs custom made for me at the Cycle World Show.  I was reading on Wild about a DIY kit.

For me, only the custom ones or foam ones work for me.

Custom earplugs are a delight. I had an audiologist make mine for about $100US at a place that handles hearing aids.