Riding gear

Admin Jaap

I’m a gear hound, so:
Touring and canyon carving:
Dainese jacket and pants, Daytona GTX boots, don’t get me started on gloves: okay, mostly Held. Arai helmets (Arai is the only brand that fits my freakishly thin and long head).
Commuting:
Aerostich one piece
Bike nights:
Hein Gehricke Dakar, Alpinestars Oscar boots. The Oscar boots look like they wouldn’t be that comfortable, but they are seriously.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This is always a great topic, both for reinforcement of simply wearing good gear and ideas, thoughts, and feedback for new purchases.  Type of riding for me depends on what I wear which I know is probably not hardcore ATGATT, but ......... 

Scura - Arai Signet or Arai Ram-X / Shoei / Bell Star, leather or textile jacket (Vanson MK2 perf, Revit, AStars w/ armor and back protector), some sort of reinforced kevlar jean, but I do confess to wearing plain old denim without my Bohn armor, AStars SMX boots, Sidi Doha, or other 3/4 boot with heel and ankle protection, good gloves . I'll wear the full on Vanson MK2 + pants if it's a multi-day trip. I picked up a Joe Rocket Survivor Suit years ago to commute in and use it depending on weather conditions and lower temps. It leaks like a sieve through the crotch, so fair warning you'll have a soggy taint upon arrival at your desk.

Africa Twin - Depends on temps and ride type. If I commute it's some sort of combo above or Klim Traverse jacket / pants, Sidi Crossfire's, Shoei Hornet. 

Track Day - Haven't been out since early last year, but Pilot leathers have treated me well. I'm a tall, skinny guy so getting race leathers fitted properly is important and worth the extra $$. You don't want to go down in a saggy, ill fitting sack. I think more bits get hurt when you're moving around inside the suit as the suit is sliding and flailing all over the asphalt.

I will happily report that I've never been struck by a vehicle on the highway. I have been down many times at the track over the years and recognize that wearing the best gear you can afford at all times is key.  It's unsettling enough to lowside or get ass packed at the track when you don't expect it. Can't imagine compounding that by placing the scenario into a busy intersection or highway.

• Like 1

Shoei Neotec, and my goat suit from 71and no coment,,, IPA time.
Cheers tom 1ecf49cf2109c0aac9f2c7ee66e250d6.jpg528f775e1cfa72d1c12d4a9d57cf25a3.jpga0ff632839fd6bbfb6a8becea3c2ca02.jpgb20a067e7de2c970d1e80ac04c4a008f.jpg4a0d1e8c1b8355547244e226ac9a896e.jpg3f88fd0b06437e1dacec1f834d66c8f0.jpg837fa5a91709a2fda30626db005116fe.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G903F via Tapatalk

Aerostitch Roadcrafter 2 piece
Underarmor long top & bottom
Thorlo boot socks
Gasolina Typhoon boots
Held Rodney gloves
Shoei GT Air

Did 10k miles/ 8 weeks with this, one t-shirt, one pair jeans, one Patagonia hoody and my AMEX card. 
I would not change a single thing. FL/TN/OK/KS/CO/WY/MT/ID/WA/OR/CA/NV/CA/AZ/NM/TX/FL. Started at 95*F and saw ~45*F a couple times. 

FB_IMG_1538443063271.jpg

• Like 6

That seems about the right amount of luggage for 8 weeks ,,,  well done.

cheers tom.

• Like 1

Loving this. I ride primarily around town (this includes our amazing canyons) and live in Los Angeles so my needs may be a bit different. I rely on Arai for the last 20 years for a good fitting helmet. I wear either a Vanson or a Schott leather jacket with a Knox armoured shirt underneath. In warmer weather I have a Dianese perf jacket with armour built in. For pants either RevIt Alpha chinos or Aether Mojave pants (depends on the weather, the Aethers have nice venting for hot days and added hip armour) I also have a pair of Dianese adventure pants for longer journeys. I wear RevIt gloves with smart phone tech, don't love them but they are protective and pretty comfy, I used to use a pair of Lee Parks deer skin gloves but they have no armour so I had to give them up. For boots I wear Red Wings, which is not the best. In fact investigating some of the boots y'all are endorsing on here.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:17 PM, Pressureangle said:

Aerostitch Roadcrafter 2 piece
Underarmor long top & bottom
Thorlo boot socks
Gasolina Typhoon boots
Held Rodney gloves
Shoei GT Air

Did 10k miles/ 8 weeks with this, one t-shirt, one pair jeans, one Patagonia hoody and my AMEX card. 
I would not change a single thing. FL/TN/OK/KS/CO/WY/MT/ID/WA/OR/CA/NV/CA/AZ/NM/TX/FL. Started at 95*F and saw ~45*F a couple times. 

That is awesome!

• Like 1

A "What Are You Wearing?" Thread is kinda creepy unless on a motorcycle forum I guess.... 

I just wear a Dainese I've already crashed in since I know it works....Dainese gloves and make it point not to wear a helmet that matches the bike.. leather Chucks since it's better than wearing flip flops.., No joke, Indians be riding their Enfields with flip flops...I have kevlar jeans but rarely wearthem here in AZ since it's so friggin hot . Lucky jeans.. Lucky since I haven't crashed in them... 

Shoei RF1100 (Shoei seems to fit me the best).

Vanson, textile when it's hot and leather when it's not.

Aerostitch jeans with knee pads (removable)

Alpinestar boots (Alpinestars Roam 2 Waterproof)

Revzilla REAX Castor Leather Gloves

On 5/9/2019 at 11:17 AM, Pressureangle said:

No toothpaste nor deodorant ?   Bleah.

4 hours ago, bbolesaz said:

No toothpaste nor deodorant ?   Bleah.

They have those at the hotel. Do you think him a barbarian?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, swooshdave said:

They have those at the hotel. Do you think him a barbarian?

Well, he did show up at a South'n Spine Raid, so that does not diminish anyone's barbarian status . . .  B)

• Like 1

Just now, Pressureangle said:

...you can use the AMEX as both an underarm scraper and dental floss.

Dude, you should reverse the order on those functions . . .:huh:

• Haha 1