Riding gear

Admin Jaap

After almost 20 years my leather combi didn't fit anymore. I wonder why... I decided for a more comfortable option and bought new pair of Macna Indivi kevlar jeans and a Held Black 8 jacket. With a big Easter discount :grin: Both fit like a glove.

shopping.pngmacna-individi-motorjeans.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Admin Jaap said:

After almost 20 years my leather combi didn't fit anymore. I wonder why... I decided for a more comfortable option and bought new pair of Macna Indivi kevlar jeans and a Held Black 8 jacket. With a big Easter discount :grin: Both fit like a glove.

shopping.pngmacna-individi-motorjeans.jpg

Jackets and pants, they shrink over time. I've got a wardrobe full of gear thats shrunken, I'm thinking of trying to get a class action up against all these manufacturers.

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

My 20-ish year old aerostitch road crafter jacket has now been through an “overhaul”, where I spent the price of a new, cheaper jacket to just get the trusty old stitch redone. Overall worth while.
Did the same with the pants a while back, and they came out perfect, but not so much with the jacket. Velcro still isn’t right (when “tightening” things up when it gets cold), zipper now creeps down from wind force which is really annoying (almost impossible to zip it back up if it gets too far down while riding at speed), and some other little issues that are annoying me. All fine, but on the hunt for a new jacket.

Boy was I surprised to see what a lot of higher end jackets sell for now! I used to think aerostitch was the expensive end of things...
I heard and have experienced a bit of how Dainese can fit skinny guys like me, so ordered two jackets to try. Both were ok fits, but at those prices they need to be perfect(I think one was $450 and one was $800. Of course the $800 jacket fit better... but I looked like a stormtrooper). And I know now that jackets can get even way more spendy than that.
So am on the casual lookout for the elusive “perfect jacket”, rarely seen in the wild, but purported to exist. Can vent, be mostly water proof (dont need 100%, as that’s fiction, and I carry a slicker/pullover for real rain), longer length so it doesn’t crawl up my back, good neck closure, does NOT use a zip in liner (hate those), and skinny/tall man fit. Basically the roadcrafter, but hopefully lighter weight.... I’ve grown lazy and weary of packing that stitch all over when I travel... it needs its own suitcase!

• Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 12:36 PM, Gmc28 said:

My 20-ish year old aerostitch road crafter jacket has now been through an “overhaul”, where I spent the price of a new, cheaper jacket to just get the trusty old stitch redone. Overall worth while.

Your Aerostitch jacket wasn't waterproof? Of course after 20 years the material won't remain waterproof.

Dave, you’re from Oregon!.... u know nothing is water proof other than seam sealed neoprene and vis-queen 😎

They say the stitch is water proof, and it’s fine for a little shower on the way to work or along the way wherever.  But if you’re really riding in the rain, which is an unfortunate reality in my riding life now and then, only a legit goretex shell over whatever else I’m wearing is really going to keep the water out. 
I prefer to have a “water proof” riding  jacket, which is then fine for most riding and occasional rain showers, but any long trip means I have my goretex pullover in my bag and ready to put on over the top.  Even jackets that do a great job of being seam sealed and all that, will still wick in somewhere, so the Pullover shell rules in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

I had high hopes going from 2-piece AeroStich to one-piece, but there are design flaws that funnel water, IMO. The big flaps on the thigh pockets (which they would not eliminate on my order) create a gutter in the seated position and funnel water to the crotch :(Taking time to fold the gutter over before the rain starts helps.

www.sportsmansguide.com

Italian Police Surplus Carabinieri Waterproof Motorcycle Jacket, New

Sportsman's Guide carries top-quality discount Outdoor and Hunting Gear, Guns, Ammo, Fishing Supplies and more - all at great low prices!
www.sportsmansguide.com

There's $100 deal for surplus Italian Motorcycle Cop Jackets. It appears they are practical and well made. Armor, removable liner and rain proof.

For $100, I thought I'd give it a try.

Got my jacket. The size runs true, no need to get a larger size. I'd say it's the highest quality motorcycle apparel I've ever owned. Top quality. Three quarter length. Really heavy liner, almost a jacket in itself. Armor installed. Even comes with its own hanger and garment bag cover.

The nits, are no vents, so it might be winter only? It's got those silly stars and left hand zipper.

Yesterday, I had to test ride it. Low 70s here and 20 mph wind, would guess more like 30+.

I took the liner out and did not snap the zipper fly. There are pass throughs in the two front pockets, I have no idea if they are vents or what the purpose is. Anyway, I found the jacket comfortable and breathable, just about perfect for the weather. In fact it seemed so breezy that I am wondering if it really is waterproof. I still wouldn't ride it in 90 degree weather but I think it's close to the same as my other (vented) textile jacket. Buffeting was good. I did about 80+ into that strong headwind and it was totally acceptable, then I noted that I hadn't cinched the sleeves down, so perhaps it's even better?

This is my first 3/4 riding jacket and could feel the back armor go all the way to my lower back. I noticed the armor is much stiffer than the foam rubber stuff in my other jackets.

One note on the sizing, the jackets run standard size, so they are larger than the normal motorcycle jacket. I usually wear a large tshirt, XL jacket and 2X motorcycle jacket. This 2x has plenty of room, I could have probably gotten by with an XL. But I was able to cinch it with internal cords, in fact I got them a little tight and loosened them.

Nothing bad to say about it other than the little stars on the collar, otherwise it's neat, well made and functional. I could see this being a $300 jacket.

Today I took it out in 84 degree muggy windy weather.  Jacket was still acceptable, perhaps getting the larger size might help vent.  I did feel some heat on the sleeves in direct sunlight but still acceptable.  Normally I'd be wearing mesh today anyway.  I think it's my "go to" jacket now.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

Dave, you’re from Oregon!.... u know nothing is water proof other than seam sealed neoprene and vis-queen 😎

They say the stitch is water proof, and it’s fine for a little shower on the way to work or along the way wherever.  But if you’re really riding in the rain, which is an unfortunate reality in my riding life now and then, only a legit goretex shell over whatever else I’m wearing is really going to keep the water out. 
I prefer to have a “water proof” riding  jacket, which is then fine for most riding and occasional rain showers, but any long trip means I have my goretex pullover in my bag and ready to put on over the top.  Even jackets that do a great job of being seam sealed and all that, will still wick in somewhere, so the Pullover shell rules in my humble opinion.

There are only two things I trust in the rain, my Aerostitch and my BMW condom. Of course you sweat to death in the BMW outfit so it's like it's raining on the inside of the suit, which mitigates and benefit from the rain getting in...

b-2aeYBMV2UZfoNnzYk1s6awsTlePFyNnRaeCZnw

Oh great,  now I need to drink enough to erase that Yellow image from my mind....

the dainese “sport master goretex” I tried last month (and returned) had some great sleeve and neck seal features that I was very fond of.  Probably makes it legitimately water proof, inasmuch as such a thing exists.  And great armor, and other great features.  But very high price, the stormtrooper look, and imperfect fit for me resulted in a return.

• Haha 1

I can not say enough good things about my Aerostitch Roadcrafter 2 piece (zips together as one) The only negative is it's too bulky to remove while riding, and store it on the bike... but you don't need to. First, it's a long ride (weekend) touring kit. Day rides for me take a Vanson leather and a rain shell packed, if required. Under the Stitch is whatever keeps you warm when it's cold. When it's warm weather I wear easy pull on shorts and an Under Armor tee. Good sox and boots. Vents zipped open and you're laughing. You kinda have to see the procedure to get how easy it is when you stop 'for lunch'. Unzip the jacket, unzip the pants - all the way down to the boot, zip down the other leg and step out. 30 seconds. Back on is about a minute and a half. I carry appropriate emergency layers. Easy to keep warm enough. Never been too hot, but for a few times doing the stoplight thing in a Tennessee tourist town on a very hot mid day misfortune. (keep moving=keep cool) Note: it's NOT black.

Water resistance.... I got my suit 15 years ago used, on ebay for $400. Barely used and made in 1999. It has never been back to the factory for cleaning and re-waterproofing (a service they provide) and I'm not sure it needs it even now. Three years ago I rode 350 miles in mostly rain, much of it quite heavy. Such a downpour at times I thought the Guzzi might stagger for lack of oxygen, but she didn't (snorkels!?). I got a small amount of water in the crotch, and a bit down the neck, front and back side. Frankly, I was amazed at the protection. If I'd duck taped my neck to the jacket I would have been spared the upper leaks. The pant leakage was due, I think to the massive amount of water I was sitting in. My Alpinestar waterproof boots and gloves were overcome by the onslaught. Boots got a C- , gloves got an FF.

I sold all my other crap and will stick with 'Stitch and Vanson.

Oh yes... I had a fall-and-slide past autumn. Only had on the jacket. I took a hit on the right arm and shoulder. The arm was good in a few days. The jacket armor and shell worked quite well... the blue jeans and knee skin, not so much.

IMG-1221.JPG

IMG-1222.JPG

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, footgoose said:

I can not say enough good things about my Aerostitch Roadcrafter 2 piece (zips together as one) The only negative is it's too bulky to remove while riding, and store it on the bike... but you don't need to. First, it's a long ride (weekend) touring kit. Day rides for me take a Vanson leather and a rain shell packed, if required. Under the Stitch is whatever keeps you warm when it's cold. When it's warm weather I wear easy pull on shorts and an Under Armor tee. Good sox and boots. Vents zipped open and you're laughing. You kinda have to see the procedure to get how easy it is when you stop 'for lunch'. Unzip the jacket, unzip the pants - all the way down to the boot, zip down the other leg and step out. 30 seconds. Back on is about a minute and a half. I carry appropriate emergency layers. Easy to keep warm enough. Never been too hot, but for a few times doing the stoplight thing in a Tennessee tourist town on a very hot mid day misfortune. (keep moving=keep cool) Note: it's NOT black.

Water resistance.... I got my suit 15 years ago used, on ebay for $400. Barely used and made in 1999. It has never been back to the factory for cleaning and re-waterproofing (a service they provide) and I'm not sure it needs it even now. Three years ago I rode 350 miles in mostly rain, much of it quite heavy. Such a downpour at times I thought the Guzzi might stagger for lack of oxygen, but she didn't (snorkels!?). I got a small amount of water in the crotch, and a bit down the neck, front and back side. Frankly, I was amazed at the protection. If I'd duck taped my neck to the jacket I would have been spared the upper leaks. The pant leakage was due, I think to the massive amount of water I was sitting in. My Alpinestar waterproof boots and gloves were overcome by the onslaught. Boots got a C- , gloves got an FF.

I sold all my other crap and will stick with 'Stitch and Vanson.

Oh yes... I had a fall-and-slide past autumn. Only had on the jacket. I took a hit on the right arm and shoulder. The arm was good in a few days. The jacket armor and shell worked quite well... the blue jeans and knee skin, not so much.

IMG-1221.JPG

IMG-1222.JPG

hard to beat the aerostitch.   when i make my little complaints, they fall into the category of "1st world problems", or "jaded biker problems", as its truly great. 

i have the same setup, and its just as old or older, though a little worse for the heavy wear its received over the years.  did the rebuild on the pants from aerostitch... came out perfect.  And i agree, the easy on/off of the pants is a huge plus compared to most other pants i've owned.  But As alluded to above in earlier post, on the jacket the overhaul didn't work out so well.  the new velcro after just a year or two is now barely better than the old worn out velcro they replaced, the zipper wants to slither down if i have the jacket a little unzipped for airflow, the sleeve ends won't stay tight any more when i'm cold wx riding due to the those zippers also creeping, and that kind of thing.  And as also mentioned, packing that stuff around on the airlines is a drag... its bulky.  fine from home, but for travel its a pain.  ya, i know, its good protection or lightweight... can't really have both.  but i'm looking.

i'll probably just end up using it forever, but am forever on the prowl for the perfect.... everything!

• Like 2

A buddy of mine had an old Aerostitch jacket he had owned for a long time w/a zipper problem . He sent it in for repairs & it came back no charge ! 

• Like 1

The wife and I are also Aerostitch fans. I started wearing them when I was given a hand-me-down two piece suit from a good friend. I wore that suit for a long time, until I replaced it with a second hand-me-down suit, again from my friend. Then we bought one for the wife brand new from them (also two piece). Finally, I retired the hand-me-down suit and bought a brand spanking new one of my own. That was years ago and the suit is still working great. Every so often we wash in some more waterproofing to restore the waterproof nature of the suit.

I was never a fan of the one piece version. My friend tried a one piece version, it seemed to work for him. But I prefer the two piece version. I find that even when I am wearing both jacket and pants I like to use suspenders with the pants vs having them zipped to the jacket. It improves air flow and makes moving around easier.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i'll keep using my aerostitch, probably forever, while i make it an ongoing hobby to continue to look for the ultimate riding jacket (for me).  That unicorn may never be found, or who knows.... but the Stitch will remain my well-used, tired looking, heavy, aging riding companion.

But in a moment of weakness (or ?) i picked up the relatively cheap Sedici Garda jacket a few weeks back, a new model for them (cycle gear).  Haven't been a Sedici fan in the past... just didn't have anything that interested or fit me.  But the Garda jacket seemed to both fit me for the most part (odd, as most popular and marketed stuff won't fit my hunger-strike type body), and it largely fit the "mission" i had in mind for it:  lighter weight, no liner to have to remove (i'll provide my own layers, thank you), supposedly water proof (which means its not, but will be ok in an occasional shower), right kinds of pockets, longer length, and doesnt' look like something from Star Wars.  oh, and its affordable.  and has the cycle gear warranty, which has always seemed pretty good here at my local store.

rode with it for the first time last weekend, and so far so good.  prefer more back armor, but will chew on that option.  oh, and don't like the velcro closures on the wrists.  Velcro just wears out.  but at the price, it doesn't need to be a "forever" jacket.

Image 5-11-20 at 2.55 PM.jpg

• Like 1