Starting?

sullvarni

Went to start my 2002 Le Mans after charging all night nothing, noticed no neutral light, made sure it's in neutral clutch in not, disconnected side stand cut off started up, left it running got gear on then it shuts off and wont restart.

I'm thinking battery as there doesn't seem to be much go even after charging over night, any ideas please, I spent $2.500Cnd last year on a general overhaul and the dreaded gear shifting problem amongst other things, thanks in advance, Stu.

Gots a good voltmeter, Stu?

We can do some checks on that battery. What make/model/age is the battery?

Yes that would be my next move but had to quit yesterday as it's in a friend garage and he had to go to work, tomorrow I'll check, just curious why it just shuts down and wont start, got new battery coming so might wait till it arrives.

Our season is short hear Lol so need a fix ASAP.

Yeah, so, post the make/model/ and date code of the battery. Also, the make and type of relays.

New battery will require "conditioning" before installation . . .

Probably some simple, easy things to try before spending another X.XXX$CN ! :grin::luigi:

Ok thanks, the relays are the upgraded ones I forget the name and the battery that I have coming is a Yuasa AMG same as what's in there already.

If you look at a schematic you will see the kill switch is powered either through the side stand switch or the side stand relay (that could be called the Neutral relay because it's triggered by the neutral switch). The side stand switches are a known point of failure, they reside in a nasty environment below the engine exposed to water and road salt yet they are expected to provide a perfect circuit to the ECU relay anytime the bike is not in neutral i.e. running down the road.

When my stand switch failed the "Go Winkie" light was flickering at about half brightness so I simply shorted out the contacts of relay 3 and never looked back.

If I was to re-install a stand switch I think I would use something like a magnet activated reed switch sealed in epoxy or silicone sealant. the current through the switch is only a little over 100 milliamps (relay coil draw), reed switches are hermetically sealed against the environment and rated in billions of operations.

Just a small sample   https://www.digikey.ca/products/en/switches/magnetic-reed-switches/193?k=reed+switches&k=&pkeyword=reed+switches&sv=0&v=18&sf=0&FV=1f140000%2Cffe000c1%2C2080007&quantity=&ColumnSort=0&page=1&pageSize=25

• Like 1