DNA Tests - I'm a Neanderthal

I did the 23andMe DNA test and it mostly confirmed stuff I knew, because my family had kept good records going back to people who came to the US from England in the 1600s. But the big (and fun) surprise was that my quantity of Neanderthal DNA markers is in the top 2% of all people tested.

I am totally using this as an excuse to go to the mountains any time I want. It's in my nature... have to get back to my roots... a cave-man has to build a fire... etc.

On the intellectual side. I find it fascinating that my body contains evidence of interbreeding of two human species 40,000 years ago - which is one of the more important scientific findings in recent years (at least in the field of human evolution).

Have any of you done a DNA test and did you learn anything surprising?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

DNA testing is interesting. We've done it for all our (mutts) dogs. Already knowing 3 - 400 years of my "analog" ancestry, I hadn't considered it for myself.

Going back 40+k years ... might explain a few   :rolleyes:    things though

It was $70 for a dog, how much for a cave man?

(I had thought of sending my own dna in - as a dog - just for kicks)

Pete can spot a Neanderthal from half a world away, no DNA necessary.  Pretty sure he spotted me by the knuckle-dragging . . .  :luigi:

The original view of Neanderthals was that they were inferior to homo sapiens, but of course, that idea was created by homo sapiens. Neaderthals actually had larger brains (along with stockier builds) than homo sapiens. 

The DNA report  indicated that my two strongest Neanderthal genetic markers show that I have LESS back hair than most people, and that I am less likely to sneeze after eating dark chocolate. Both true. I am not particularly hirsute, nor I do ever recall sneezing after eating dark chocolate - didn't even know that was a "thing,"

Despite the research and emerging story that Neanderthals were skilled, social humans who were in many ways the equal of Homo Sapiens, I am still using it as an excuse to go to the snowy mountains as much as possible.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 5/4/2019 at 6:36 AM, Scud said:

I did the 23andMe DNA test and it mostly confirmed stuff I knew, because my family had kept good records going back to people who came to the US from England in the 1600s. But the big (and fun) surprise was that my quantity of Neanderthal DNA markers is in the top 2% of all people tested.

I am totally using this as an excuse to go to the mountains any time I want. It's in my nature... have to get back to my roots... a cave-man has to build a fire... etc.

On the intellectual side. I find it fascinating that my body contains evidence of interbreeding of two human species 40,000 years ago - which is one of the more important scientific findings in recent years (at least in the field of human evolution).

Have any of you done a DNA test and did you learn anything surprising?

I did one last year..All of my life  I have heard I'm French/Canadian which surprised me because my last name sounds Irish..but I had read some French people have my last name...None of my Family other than myself and a cousin seemed too interested one way or another.

So as a result of a Birthday gift from my wife, I Did the DNA tests..and sure enough..I'm about 92 percent Irish with a dash of Welsh on top....My best riding buddy ( Who I've ridden with for 40 years and is 100% Irish thru and thru ) commented " Well that explains a lot!"  Referring to my great love for Guinness and Irish Whiskey...(It was a bit odd for a Frenchman I'd guess). 

Anyway good and bad but now I have more excuses to drink the Irish..Its in my Genes!! I cant help myself!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fwiw, Yuval Noah Harari suggests that Neanderthals were eventually wiped out by Homo sapiens through competition for resources and events of early “ethic cleansing”.  

1 hour ago, Chuck said:

I found out way more than I wanted to know with a DNA test..:o

Tell us more!  :D  

So my son sent me the DNA, kit, sent it in.  Pretty cool but somewhat  as I expected:

• 62% British
  • Irish 32% (but specifically recognized Isle of Mann area!)
  • 4% Swedish
  • and surprisingly 1% Filipino and 1% American Indian.
Edited by Tom in Virginia
add emoji and my results
  • Like 1