RIP screwdriver

andy york

I would assume you bypass the clutch switch... but pray tell: why were you using a screwdriver to start the bike?

I was never able to fully figure out why the handlebar starter switch would not work.

There seems to be a broken wire inside the harness somewhere so i would use a small blade screwdriver 

to jump the starter connections. 

I realized the other day that the dust was gathering because I wasn't riding as often cause of the starting situation.

Don't have that problem anymore:luigi:

As far as safety goes...well I'm old and crusty and I don't need no stinking safety switches. Somethings are just very old habits.

Maybe this will last another 122,000 miles

• Like 3

13 hours ago, andy york said:

I was never able to fully figure out why the handlebar starter switch would not work.

There seems to be a broken wire inside the harness somewhere so i would use a small blade screwdriver 

to jump the starter connections. 

I realized the other day that the dust was gathering because I wasn't riding as often cause of the starting situation.

Don't have that problem anymore:luigi:

As far as safety goes...well I'm old and crusty and I don't need no stinking safety switches. Somethings are just very old habits.

Maybe this will last another 122,000 miles

So am I but you only need to witness 1 serious accident caused by a side stand left down and you become a convert.

Ciao 

I removed the safety linkage from a K100rs I used to own . I forgot to put the sidestand up ONE time in a Kroger store parking lot and got " the notice " when I pulled away going about 4 mph I went to make a LH turn in the parking lot . One and one time only did I need that epiphany .   You learn to check it immediately when you straddle a bike !

Unfortunately, riders..just like pilots.. are human. That's why there are check lists for airplanes. All it takes is for something to interfere with your "start up" routine, and you *will* forget to put up the sidestand. I don't disable that stuff. :huh2:

• Like 1

Honda used to use a little rubber "foot" on the side stand.  Wasn't perfect, but could save ones butt.  I assume that the lawyers made it go away since it wasn't perfect.  But anyhow, a short piece of rubber hose and some tie wraps will create a reasonable facsimile.