I could use some thoughts for a replacement battery

milar

Looks like the battery in my V11 LeMans is dying.  I could use some thoughts on a good replacement.  How many CCA etc.  I live in Phoenix which is especially hard on battery life.  Good ones don't seem to last much longer than cheaper ones.   

Thanks!

Mike

I've been running Aliant on my Breva 750 for a few years now winter and summer. Just gone the same way with my Nevada ie. V11 will be next. North of England, UK. 

Since I got my V11 converted by Ghezzi Brian in Italy in April 2016 it's been running on a BC Lithium  LiFePO4 BCTZ14S-FP-S 12V 54Wh lightweight battery.  I keep it on an Optimate lithium battery charger when it's in the garage.  The standard rectifier works ok; when running and during charging the voltage drifts up to 14V and shows the fully charged voltage of about 13.1 - 13.3V when you next switch on the ignition and the lights go on before the engine cranks.    It has plenty of cranking current due to the really low internal resistance.  The overall capacity is lower but how many times do you need to start it before the engine charges it up?  BC recommend the next size up which would still be smaller and considerably lighter than a standard Lead acid gel battery.  Mine is only 750g; it was one of the way G-B managed to take off >30kg during the conversion.  Not sure how it would cope with really high temps but I've toured for a couple of weeks, on successive years in northern Spain where temps were over 30-35deg.C in the 90's Fahrenheit.  If anything it is cold temperatures and thick oil that seems to make the cranking a little slower.  Last time I looked, I could get a replacement for about £100 on the internet but there is no sign of deterioration and I'm into its 4th season.

Thanks all

I bought the Odyssey.  I'm going to make a note on it when it was installed.  Then see how long it lasts.

Mike

10 minutes ago, milar said:

Thanks all

I bought the Odyssey.  I'm going to make a note on it when it was installed.  Then see how long it lasts.

Mike

Mind the "conditioning."  Jus'sayin' . . .  B)

11 hours ago, docc said:

Mind the "conditioning."  Jus'sayin' . . .  B)

Perhaps I'm a bit naive.  Could you explain?

Mike 

1 hour ago, milar said:

Perhaps I'm a bit naive.  Could you explain?

Mike 

Sure. It's really common that these batteries are delivered in need of a charge, often off the shelf at 50%. A series of discharge/charge events will help ensure the depth of charge and life of the battery.

Use an approved charger with adequate amperage (6 amps or more) and voltages correct for the AGM:

Odyssey PC545 Battery conditioning

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bbolesaz said:

Or just buy the cheapest AutoZone battery and replace it every year since no battery can last a Phoenix summer.

Ya'll don't park your prized possessions in air conditioned garages?

I installed a Shorai light weight lithium battery and it’s been great!  No issues at all and it weighs a fraction of what the regular battery weighs.  

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

I installed a Shorai light weight lithium battery and it’s been great!  No issues at all and it weighs a fraction of what the regular battery weighs.  

Cheers

I bought Shorai LFX21L6-BS12 battery for my bike. It is a bit bigger than the dealer recommended, but still slightly smaller than the standard battery. It came with lots of different thickness self adhesive foam pads to make it a firm fit in the battery box. It spins the engine faster than the previous battery, so I think it is awesome. The only two downsides are COST, and the need for the Shorai charger for balance charging and storage. It charges fine with the V11 system, and the Ducati regulator hasn't missed a beat (after I fixed some bad connectors and grounds).

• Like 1

Cool.  Yes.  Shorai works great with our V11’s.  Some say the computer also benefits from the quicker power characteristics on tap from the Shorai.

i use a CTek lithium charger and it works great too

• Like 1