I could use some thoughts for a replacement battery

milar

+1 on docc’s comments on odyssey and the need to maintain it. Current odyssey on the V11 was installed by my friend from whom I bought the bike and has been on for about 4-5 yrs now, and all’s well.
I’m one with several agm batts that have gone 6+ yrs, and in one case 10 yrs. None of them failed.... in most cases I change them before a planned big trip once they got 6+yrs on them, just in case.
But they live on battery tenders (deltran) all winter when not being ridden, and even in summer for the bikes that get ridden less often.

I’m an Odyssey fan, but have had similar success with a couple others, such as Westco. But there may be a deeper rabbit hole there, such as who makes which batteries for which brands based on all sorts of variables that I don’t track.

I “inherited” a shorai battery from a PO on a ktm 990 adv. super light, and small, but couldn’t figure it out.... held charge great, then without warning would drop voltage like crazy while sitting. Troubleshot it for a while, looking for electrical “leaks”, desiring to keep that expensive shorai battery, but after some failed fixes, and some advice from a ktm mech who said he didn’t trust the shorai’s, I replaced it with a good old odyssey (also not cheap.... sigh), and bike has been trouble free ever since.

9 hours ago, Gmc28 said:

I “inherited” a shorai battery from a PO on a ktm 990 adv. super light, and small, but couldn’t figure it out.... held charge great, then without warning would drop voltage like crazy while sitting. Troubleshot it for a while, looking for electrical “leaks”, desiring to keep that expensive shorai battery, but after some failed fixes, and some advice from a ktm mech who said he didn’t trust the shorai’s, I replaced it with a good old odyssey (also not cheap.... sigh), and bike has been trouble free ever since.

Lithium batteries are a bit fussy about being fully discharged, or charged improperly. Perhaps balance charging would have fixed it?

Here is what Shorai says: 

If using a lead acid style charger, do NOT use if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", "repair", "recondition", or "recovery" mode, which cannot be turned off.  Lead acid charger/tenders can be used for regular maintenance charging and then be disconnected after the battery is fully charged.  DO NOT leave the lead acid charger connected to store the battery, because most will NOT maintain the proper voltage for lithium batteries.  IMPORTANT- if the LFX battery is deeply discharged below 12.86V only a lithium charger with cell balancing can be used to recover the battery.  The Shorai BMS01 charger or the Hyperion EOS 720 chargers are the suggested balance type chargers.

https://shoraipower.com/charging

Agreed in need to use the correct charger for the lithium batts.... I used the one that came from PO that says it’s for the lithium batt. But maybe it was junk. Don’t recall the brand at the moment. Still have the battery, and may try it in another bike at some point.