2005 gearbox on 2001 engine?

sp838

So I might have the opportunity to buy a spare transmission, from what I believe is a 2005 Ballabio. Condition not known yet, so assuming it's in good running order, was wondering if it would bolt up to my 2001 engine. I have a lower subframe. Anything else I would need? I've read elsewhere in our forum that the later model shift selectors are slightly mo' betta. Any other potential advantages / disadvantages anyone could think of in doing the swap? I'm thinking that if I have to remove the gearbox to do the single plate clutch conversion, I could use that opportunity to swap the gearbox while I'm at it. But only if A) it's compatible and B) it's worth doing...

I welcome your opinions, encouragement and harsh scornful criticisms alike.

To build a double plate clutch - you need the following parts:

6 - M8x25 hex screws in hardness 10.9 (black)

6 - Special washers

1 - Flywheel 04067000

10 - Springs (5 - 04084100 and 5 - 13084100)

1 - Pressure plate 30082900

1 - Push rod plate 04082800

2 - Friction plates

1 - Intermediate steel plate

1 - Ring gear 01067930

8 - M6 screws with washers

1 - Clutch boss connected to the gearbox 0421160

(I happen to have almost all of these parts new, but since I live in Europe it will be some shipping cost. Let me know in a PM if you want to talk about buying my parts.)

Rolf

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Rolf Halvorsen said:

To build a double plate clutch - you need the following parts:

6 - M8x25 hex screws in hardness 10.9 (black)

6 - Special washers

1 - Flywheel 04067000

10 - Springs (5 - 04084100 and 5 - 13084100)

1 - Pressure plate 30082900

1 - Push rod plate 04082800

2 - Friction plates

1 - Intermediate steel plate

1 - Ring gear 01067930

8 - M6 screws with washers

1 - Clutch boss connected to the gearbox 0421160

(I happen to have almost all of these parts new, but since I live in Europe it will be some shipping cost. Let me know in a PM if you want to talk about buying my parts.)

Rolf

Rolf, thanks for this but I have a single plate clutch input hub and a RAM clutch I would be using. So the clutch wouldn't be a concern.

6 minutes ago, docc said:

SP838, you're talking a RAM clutch conversion, yes?

Yes, I would also be installing the RAM clutch at the same time. 

Ok I misunderstood. My 2001 Rosso Mandello had a single plate clutch which they called RAM. This version had a aluminium flywheel that had some problems. I changed to 2 plate clutch to be om the safe side. I know that there is other type RAM clutches on the marked. The clutch hub boss on the 2005 gearbox is the 2 plate clutch version.

If others are interested in my parts - let me know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rolf Halvorsen said:

Ok I misunderstood. My 2001 Rosso Mandello had a single plate clutch which they called RAM. This version had a aluminium flywheel that had some problems. I changed to 2 plate clutch to be om the safe side. I know that there is other type RAM clutches on the marked. The clutch hub boss on the 2005 gearbox is the 2 plate clutch version.

If others are interested in my parts - let me know.

Is that correct? I thought that some models (Scura for example) came with a single plate clutch but it was from Guzzi, not RAM. I believe RAM is an aftermarket company that offers a single plate clutch for most Guzzis and at one point had a clutch for the V11 (and other six speeds) but no longer offers it.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=193&products_id=1698

I could be wrong and RAM was the OEM for the single plate Guzzis. But I don't think so. The fact that the flywheel was the failure point indicates that it was a Guzzi issue. Because... Luigi...

1 hour ago, swooshdave said:

I could be wrong and RAM was the OEM for the single plate Guzzis. But I don't think so.

actually, it appears that they were the outsourced OEM manufacturers for the stock single plate alu. clutch including the flywheel. If you go to my other thread on the RAM clutch kit there are photos, on page 3, posted by footgoose. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fotoguzzi said:

Scurra 

[uIMG_0932-M.jpgrl=https://fotoguzzi.smugmug.com/Foto/i-65rrPW3/A]IMG_0930-M.jpg[/url]

How anybody allows a clutch to degenerate into that condition I dont know. I'm not surprised the flywheel failed trying to cope with the results of that magnitude of wear and the mechanical stress it would have caused.

Ciao

On 5/29/2019 at 11:25 PM, fotoguzzi said:

Scurra 

Hey FotoGuzzi, thanks for posting this. Do you still have these parts laying around? Would you be able to take some measurements for me? Explanation of measurements I'm looking for is here: