Revs shooting through the roof!!!

mznyc

I Didn't see anything,will give it a thorough once over when I do service but my guess is the A/F is out of whack,just like when I had cracked TB boot,same symptoms.New filter and back to normal...

• Like 1

Hasn't happened, but am heading out to check my shock reservoir position as we speak!

• Like 1

Maybe . The owner needs to watch the throttle  linkage and make sure the throttle plates return to zero . 

The air cleaner housing to TBs can be loosened and pushed away to verify there is nothing keeping the throttle plates from working properly .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gene,"the owner" removed the airbox and give it a full bath and cleaning to make sure there was no debris in the nooks and crannies,...ran perfect after that,working on a full service and hopefully I will get it done next weekend to do a thorough road test,but before I found the breached air filter and revs were sticking after I rolled off throttle I would intuitively pull the clutch in and then revs would shoot up to redline,would also only do it after riding 20 mins and the bike was warmed,never cold,if it was mechanical you would think it would happen right away,warm or cold shouldn't matter, did that several times with repeated results.Still assuming the air filter was the problem...Same symptoms when I've had TB boots cracked or slipped off TB bodies.....A lot more air than the system was expecting...FWIW...

IF the bike has proper characteristics cold , such as idle , rev & return to idle , I think you cane rule out air boots . With that being said , examine them and the throttle bodies to verify everything is good. 

Now , this does this rev business when hot . Look down at the throttle cable to make sure it and the TB are at idle and they are ok . Play with them with a dead engine , sitting still so you will know how to manipulate them to be sure the TBs are not hanging up . 

Good luck and keep us posted !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gstallons said:

IF the bike has proper characteristics cold , such as idle , rev & return to idle , I think you cane rule out air boots . With that being said , examine them and the throttle bodies to verify everything is good. 

Now , this does this rev business when hot . Look down at the throttle cable to make sure it and the TB are at idle and they are ok . Play with them with a dead engine , sitting still so you will know how to manipulate them to be sure the TBs are not hanging up . 

No,no,no....That's already been done!...It wasn't until I ACTUALLY checked the air filter and found it chewed through by a mouse and since replaced it was determined by a short ride that that was the problem.That's in a previous post.....Hasn't been run through it paces as I'm in the middle of the service,TB's are next and if I can get Gizzidiag fired up,a CO set,I'll get it out for a proper road test and report back!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gstallons said:

Thanks Gene,I did all that first,when this started a while back.Once it gets a thorough road test I will post...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So finally got a decent road test yesterday all all is good.I'm going to my grave believing the air filter breach caused all this,nothing else was amiss,replaced with a new one and she runs like a champ! Thanks all for suggestions,...

• Thanks 1