Resurrection

Nitzge

Should be fine if it hasnt seen too much weather. Apart from oil changes and filters.. new plugs, new tyres.

There'd be a few things to check, like the earth on the back of the gear box is clean and earthing correctly.  Change the relays.

Lube all the moving parts and bearings like the ignition switch, levers, uni joints, swingarm bearings, headstock bearing, new fork oil and seals and probably rechroming the stauncions . New injectors or remove and clean. Same for the fuel pump - get it spinning by air before you apply power and burn out a seized pump. Check the oil pump, no chips in the teeth and spins ok. Spray oil everywhere in the engine and heads. 

Check and adjust valves tolerances.

When you have checked everything, spin the engine up on the starter only (with kill switch on) a few times for about 10 secs each time and for a total of minute Or until the oil light goes out. This would generally happen after about 40secs but if it hasn't primed the oil system by 60secs, you should see if any oil is circulating before continuing.

If all good, then start the bike. Ride..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This should be good - I’ll be following your progress with great interest & listening to all the useful precautionary tips! 👍

The ‘ol Quota’s been having a bit of a lazy snooze...

• Like 1

Wow, Nitzge, only now that I got a closer look at your Gallery images do I see that you pulled the pistons and cylinders off! (At least the right side).

How many miles on this V11 and what are you finding?

Pulled both cylinders, bike has 22k miles on it. It burnt the rod bearings and scored right side jug pretty bad. Lost oil pressure due to oil filter coming loose.... Which the dealer did all scheduled maintenance. Its a long, disgusting story. And to top it all off the only dealer within 100 miles of me went belly up.... So now I'm stuck trying to fix this on my own. So if anyone knows of a place for me to get parts I would greatly appreciate it. I want to keep the bike so doing it right is key.... As of now, I need right side cylinder and piston, and the plug and o ring for filter access on the bottom pan since the dealer misplaced it...... Any help is appreciated!! 

• Like 2

Gotcha. A noble venture to resurrect a fine champagne V11LeMans!  :thumbsup:

For parts, I am dancing between MGCycle/ Wisconsin, Harpermoto/Missouri, and AF1Racing/AustinTX

There are also a few V11 being broken here in the Classifieds and more on ebay . . .

We're wit'cha, bud! :mg::bier::sun:

• Like 3

Loosening oil filter = use quality filters (no early UFI !) and tighten 1 1/8 (one full turn plus one-eighth) turns past oiled gasket contact.

The WIX have not failed me, tightened to that derived spec. (Much tighter than my intuition meter would have suggested . . .)

• Like 1

Well.... Changed all the brake/clutch fluids this weekend. They were brown! Some new Brembo dot 4 should be good? Looking at the tires, Continental road attacks, I honestly cant believe they look like the day I put em on.... No dry rot. Should I trust em?

• Like 1

Fluid choice is fine. Check the date code on the tires. It is 4 numerals molded in after "DOT" = week/month of production.

Ten year old tires? I would absolutely NOT trust them . . . :oldgit:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I found a donor motor for the parts needed, hope to get it this weekend. But I have a question, has anyone have any experience on a deep sump pan the moves the filter external? Don't want to go thru this again....

21 minutes ago, Nitzge said:

Well, I found a donor motor for the parts needed, hope to get it this weekend. But I have a question, has anyone have any experience on a deep sump pan the moves the filter external? Don't want to go thru this again....

Do you you know what brand/ year of the filter that came loose? Early UFI? (faulty gaskets). Someone put it on "finger tight?" (Bad method for the V11 !/ tighten 1 1/8 turns past the gasket contact)

A "quality" filter, properly tightened will not walk off. I say this after my twenty+ (5,000 mile) oil changes . . .

YMMV!

• Like 1