Power loss/Engine cut out

TimB MV

I’m looking for any leads into this problem please!!

Woke this morning to a dead battery. Bike has been running in top performance. Battery is new last year.

I jumped it.. fired right up... Rode it for 10 minutes or so and noticed my rpm tack was not registering. The motor sputtered and quit about 2 min later.

Bike world not turn over... jumped again and idled perfectly.. as soon as I put it in gear it sputtered and quit again.

I have it back home and looking to trouble shoot this!!

Brand new battery from last year...

I ran the bike just two days ago and it was just fine...

Any help is much appreciated!

Tim B on Martha’s Vineyard

jrbeg@hotmail.com 

Hi, Tim! Welcome to the best place in the Universe for care&feeding of a V11!

No tach + no charging = Relay #2 (from the front). You can try swapping the relays around and using some contact cleaner on the connections, but swapping in a full set of "Best relays" is highly recommended.

Best Relay

Also, what battery did you install? Even a new Hawker Odyssey PC545 (OEM) benefits from "conditioning." (Think: charging with a particular method):

Conditioning the PC545

Sounds like Relay failure, but she'll love you back for some extra attention to the charging system. In addition to High Current Relays and conditioning the battery, inspect the 30 amp (green) fuse for signs of heat damage, be sure there is a ground strap from the regulator to the engine, and that the battery terminals are clean and tight.

Same goes for the main ground to the back of the gearbox behind the seat latch . . .

DSCN0681.jpg

Under the seat on the right toward the back. Second box from the front for "Lights", but also for many other functions:

DSCN2416.jpg

Put a voltmeter on the battery without the key on . . .

What make relays are in it now? But, yes, a full set of High Current Omron is in order.

(Thanks on the pics. Hosted on imgzeit.) :pic:

A digital reading of 12.84v is 100%, 12.0 would be pretty much ded, mon. :rasta:

Do your lights come on? The horn blows?