Best textured black paint recommendation

Like many of us with the textured  "fuzzy" black engine paint, I have a few places where the paint is coming off.

I had the engine  cases replaced under warranty many years ago, but the transmission, bevel, and other miscellaneous parts are also painted with the original factory textured finish.

So I've been looking around at various paint products, and wondered if anyone has tried any that are a good match to the factory finish and durable.

The first I've found is the Harley Davidson Black Texture Touch-Up Paint part number 98606BF

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/touch-up-paint-pa-15-98606bf--1

Has anyone tried this product?

Also, are there any recommendations for any aluminum primer to use under the paint?

When tasked with re-doing my '02 motor, I opted for a satin finish non-wrinkle paint, ie; Ford engine paint. The wrinkle finishes require heat to wrinkle. Didn't want to bake my motor, or mess with trying out other options. I used rattle cans, high heat paint and primer. Not the hardest finish, but works for me. Looks great.

• Like 1

Not sure how well this would match the texture on your black fuzzy engine, but I really love this stuff:

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Professional-Grade-Rubberized-Undercoating/?N=5002385+3292638249&rt=rud

I used it to re-paint the aluminum lid on one of my Rizoma brake fluid tanks. So far it's held up really well (~3 years 🤔) resisting corrosion from brake fluid and general wear. For spot touchups would probably work really well... The texture comes out looking sort of like leather grain, like on cameras and professional electronics from the 80s. Sort of like this, but a little more subtle:

06E70E1C-5850-4843-9C92-FA2E780530BC.jpeg

• Like 2

VHT makes a black wrinkle paint that looks great when applied correctly, with heat. Re-painted the bevel box on my LM last year, so, can't say much about long term durability, but it looks real close to the  factory finish.  Used a couple of halogen work lights for heat, just had to monitor and keep rotating the parts to heat evenly.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, but remember that the 2002 OEM textured black finish is not wrinkle, but instead more of a grainy "fuzzy" finish even when new.  I'm looking for something that will reasonably match the OEM "fuzzy" finish as the engine cases are like new.

Wrinkle finishes will not match, and as mentioned generally take heat to properly wrinkle.

Thanks again.

On 6/9/2019 at 2:42 PM, docc said:

Have to admit that satin finish looks great.  Maybe I'll consider that over time.

• Like 1

I know this was done here before, maybe it got lost with one of the reboots. I didn't like the HD paint, the texture was finer than the OEM Guzzi stuff. Best match I found was actually one of the Rustoleum Textured. Cheap, matched fantastic, easy to find in the US, and has actually lasted a long time. I honestly couldn't tell you where I painted and where I didn't when looking at the bike. I have to see if I still have an old can around for the specific one I used.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, emry said:

I know this was done here before, maybe it got lost with one of the reboots. I didn't like the HD paint, the texture was finer than the OEM Guzzi stuff. Best match I found was actually one of the Rustoleum Textured. Cheap, matched fantastic, easy to find in the US, and has actually lasted a long time. I honestly couldn't tell you where I painted and where I didn't when looking at the bike. I have to see if I still have an old can around for the specific one I used.  

Thanks, will be interested to see which one.

The one I find with a quick search is:

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/stops-rust/textured

Pretty sure that is it. I didn't see anything in my shed. So for $6 give it a go. I used carb cleaner to removed "bubbled" paint then sprayed away. Haven't touched in in a decade.

I painted my engine while it was in the frame.  I did find that I had to keep the spray can well away from the engine in order to get more texture.  I started too close and didn't get much texture at all.

I just dug up my thread on this from 2006.  I had to hold the paint can over a foot away to get the texture right.

• 1 month later...