Little mesh screen in sump?

sp838

Does it actually do anything? I have the correct porthole tool to access the oil filter so It's been a while since dropped the sump. Looking at exploded diagrams, what exactly is it screening? That little nub it's screwed to, does that lead somewhere? Is that the intake for the oil pump or something? Please pardon my ignorance...

In my sump I found parts of a piston bolt securing spring (hope you know what I mean). Can't say how it got there, probably at the factory. Anyhow, a steel part 2.5 by 1mm getting to the pump is a certain show stopper. That's what this screen is for.

• Like 1

So is there a gallery inside the bottom of sump pan? how does it run back up to the oil pump?

I'd have to look it up now, had to be at home for that. There's a lot of plumbing and drilled channels in all directions down there, galleries you call them. Look for their plugs. They're drilled horizontally as well as vertically. Next time you remove the sump look for them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sp838 said:

So is there a gallery inside the bottom of sump pan? how does it run back up to the oil pump?

The pickup tube thats part of the whole lube assy enters the screen unit from a hole in the top.The filter unit itself is bolted to the sump floor.  Its there to stop any particles larger than around 1/4mm from entering the pump. I fitted a new one to my Daytona engine during the rebuild as a precaution. Not the sort of thing you need to worry about very much. I wouldnt do a sump drop just to check its clean but if you have it off take a look.

Ciao 

• Like 2

This screen is meant to keep large particles from entering the pump/hydraulic system . These particles , once they get into the system will damage the pump and attack the relief valve and any rotating parts that rely on pressurized oil for lubrication and clearance . If this pick-up is covered and smothers the supply , then you get no oil to the system and everything is destroyed . There are schools of thought that want no screens or similar coverings over the pick-up tube , Me , I like something over it .

• Like 1

Here's a pic of what I found in the sump of my engine in 2009. Not in the mesh, though.

Oelwannenfund_Guzzi.jpg

Looked it up: the ends of what is called "gudgeon pin retainer".

Edited by luhbo
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Wellll ,,,,, traditionally / historically , a gudgeon pin is the pin that holds the piston to the connecting rod . AKA , wrist pin . These were press fit , circlip and button retainer that held the pin in the piston . 

I'm not sure about this ?

Isn't that a picture of the circlip in pieces? I'd call it the gudgeon pin retainer if English wasn't my first language.. Graphic evidence of why you don't reuse them. :oldgit:

Ah , we're from the same time zone ! I don't think they would have used a round retainer .. a lot of Japanese bikes used to use a round retaining ring w/a 90 on the end so you could get them off . the best method is a snap ring w/eyes on each end .  Anyone that has worked on one of these can chime in and clarify . BTW There is no way that ring can out of the cylinder .

2 hours ago, gstallons said:

Ah , we're from the same time zone ! I don't think they would have used a round retainer .. a lot of Japanese bikes used to use a round retaining ring w/a 90 on the end so you could get them off . the best method is a snap ring w/eyes on each end .  Anyone that has worked on one of these can chime in and clarify . BTW There is no way that ring can out of the cylinder .

The Daytona I've just assembled and just about every engine I've worked on over the years including Ducati race engines has used round section wire retainers.

Button retainers that I've seen were generally used on drag racing engines.

Ciao 

These were two of those 90 degree ends. Only chance for them to get to the sump I can think of was at the assembly line. Pistons and cylinders still were in pristine condition.