Got a Norge? Do tell.

JBBenson

Who here has a Norge 8v? Do you like it? Hate it?    Although rare, they seem like cool sport tourers. Good used ones are getting pretty cheap. I assume they share engine and drivetrain parts (incl ECU?) with other 1200 8v models, right?

I had an '08 (2vpc) and loved it.  Rode it  all over Florida and also up to Nova Scotia and back with an 09 Norge (also 2vpc) and 3 Harleys.  Both Norges consistently got better mpg and were so much easier to handle going thru the mountains (BRP), and tight parking lots, never burned a drop of oil in 5 thousand miles. More than i can say about the Harleys.

Only sold mine in a fit of depression after a shoulder surgery and doctors orders not to ride for 6-8 months.  Two weeks after I sold the bike I was cleared to start riding again.  Kicked myself for selling that bike! 

Recently bought a Breva 1200 Sport which is basically a naked Norge and really like it.  But i still think another Norge is in my future.   The 2vpc have plenty of power. I can't wait to try an 8v.  You cant go wrong with either.

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2015 Norge 8V.  It is an excellent road burner.  The 8 valve engine is a marvel.  Mine is bone stock except for a Beetle map, which made a huge difference in engine smoothness and throttle response, Guzzi top case, and a Throttlemeister- throttle lock.   Anyone with an 8V Norge should have Beetle's map!!!

It is a comfortable bike and the weather protection is very good. 

The early 8 valves had flat tappets which self destruct.   From mid 2012 on the 1200 8v has roller tappets which many call the "rollerized" engine.  This is the one to get as the valve train has proven to be bullet proof.   Stay with 2013 and above and all is good.   Used Norge's are a real bargain.  I am glad I like mine because it would make me cry to sell it for the little they go for nowadays.

A flat tappet motor with super low miles could be an option if bought cheaply as roller conversion packages are still available.   

I am happy to answer any questions.   

IMG-4427-2.jpg

IMG-4424-2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's a beauty, Dave..:thumbsup:

I had an 07 2V that was a *great* mile muncher. Certainly not as good in the twisties as the Mighty Scura, but in central Indiana it seldom needed to be. :huh2: The only real downside for me was a top heavy feel moving it around in the garage and at slow speeds two up. I rode a friend's 1200 Sport thinking it would be different, but they felt the same. Great bike, though..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dave's "espresso & grappa" is the best-looking of any Norge ever ... and I tend to think that the onluy "proper" color for an Italian motorcycle is red:grin:

Bill

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 11 months later...

Hi folks

just looking at buying a 2008 2valve Norge with apparently 26,000 miles on the clock although the speedo reads 149,000 due to the mileage jumping upwards when connected to a trickle charger. The bike certainly looks like it has only done 26,000. Has anyone heard of this mileage jumping problem?

I’m a Moto Guzzi virgin so any other tips of what to look for before buying would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/1/2020 at 5:11 AM, Boisty said:

Hi folks

just looking at buying a 2008 2valve Norge with apparently 26,000 miles on the clock although the speedo reads 149,000 due to the mileage jumping upwards when connected to a trickle charger. The bike certainly looks like it has only done 26,000. Has anyone heard of this mileage jumping problem?

I’m a Moto Guzzi virgin so any other tips of what to look for before buying would be greatly appreciated!

Doesn't look as if any of us responded directly to your inquiry except by the positive inferences you may have drawn.

Still looking?  Pull the trigger?

I have 82K miles on mine.  A grand machine.

Romped with it a week or so ago.

Bill

i-9BRnbWn-L.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a 2007 Norge and love it.  I use it on "longer rides" and when I need the use of the bags/trunk.  I plan on hitting the road for a few days on it later this year....thinking a run up to the Barber Museum.  It's only an 8 hr ride from home. 

• Like 1