Sold a bike, need another one

swooshdave

So I sold my 850-T, it's still here as the wire transfer finally cleared after a couple weeks. I expect it to vacate the garage shortly and be on it's way to Australia. As all of you know I now have to get another bike. If you just leave that lump in your account it magically withers away and you have not much to show for it.

I don't need another V11 Sport. But I do need something interesting. I spotted a yellow Ducati ST2 on Craigslist but it sold before I got my money from the other bike. Do I need a ST2? Not really. But a Ducati for $2500 is a lot of bike for the money.

There's a Cagiva Grand Canyon about 6 hrs away. Really nice looking bike. But I really don't need a SUV bike. I'd never go off road. But I guess that's like most SUVs...

I could get a Monster but that's a little too close to a V11 Sport.

I could try to hold onto the money and when I sell another bike (the Ducati 860GT is next up) take a run at trying to get a 1977 Lemans MkI project I know about.

What would you do?

Congratulations. I love going off road, which I why I bought the Stelvio and why my Ducati ST3 is available. I enjoyed the ST3 very much and am still riding it a bit while waiting for the right buyer. Send me a message if you're interested. I'm a motivated seller.

But what should YOU do? Maybe you should take a look at the Ducati Hypermotards. It gives you the upright seating of the "SUV bikes" and similar or better performance than the Monster (since there are a lot of different Monsters).

So many great deals on used bikes... so little time.

• Thanks 1

There are some truly absurdly low priced Griso's and Norge 8V's out there at the moment. 2015 Griso's with low mileage for $5.5-6K, there's a Norge in MN for $4995. Might need rollerising, can't remember but I think it's a 2014 from memory.

Does it have to be Italian? Ever consider switching up the riding style? Maybe an ev11 if you wanna stay Guzzi. I love riding sport but sometimes a lazyboy is just....Nice. Kinda why I bought a Valkyrie. A recliner with middleweight sportbike acceleration... I know, not Italian. Flog tomatoes at me later. 

Dirt would be cool too. Do what Scud did and grab a Stelvio. Older ones can be had pretty cheap.   

I guess my advise is to diversify. Cruiser or ADV. 

If you have a bike (s) you're happy with... take your time. Contrary to my usual M.O., this time I made a list of priorities. #1 weight - no more 500# bikes for me. #2 a twin - power and sound. #3 ergos - standard or upright position. #4 reliability - I already own 2 Guzzi's:unsure: #5 looks - must have garage appeal.

a Hypermotard/Hyperstrada ('13-'18) is in my future, soon as I find the right one. Like I've told my doubting friends, just because it's marketed as a hooligan bike, doesn't mean I have to ride it like that. It's just a big dirt bike... for the street.

20 hours ago, Scud said:

Congratulations. I love going off road, which I why I bought the Stelvio and why my Ducati ST3 is available. I enjoyed the ST3 very much and am still riding it a bit while waiting for the right buyer. Send me a message if you're interested. I'm a motivated seller.

But what should YOU do? Maybe you should take a look at the Ducati Hypermotards. It gives you the upright seating of the "SUV bikes" and similar or better performance than the Monster (since there are a lot of different Monsters).

So many great deals on used bikes... so little time.

ST3s are a bit out of my price range unless you're highly motivated. If I was smart I would stick with the 2v Ducatis unless you convince me otherwise.

My next door neighbor has a beautiful ST3. I think I've seen him ride in once in 6 years. If that thing has 1000 miles on it I'd be shocked. Maybe he rode it more in the past?

Knowing the budget is very useful for this thread so we don't tell you things like "go buy a Husqvarna 701 SuperMoto."

The ST3 has a unique motor - as I understand it, it's basically the 1000DS motor with a cool 3-valve head. I think it's the only 3 valve head that Ducati has made. Mine's on Craigslist with a $3,600 asking price and no bites...

Tell us more about what you want to do with the new addition. Do you want a reliable commuter... something cool and different to tinker with... what?

I keep looking at Yamaha Trx850’s...  Thin, light, powerful enough, cool 90’s design.  And a twin too 🙂.  Low mileage good ones are slightly on the expensive side in the uk, considering the age, but negotiation could come into play perchance.

9 hours ago, Scud said:

Knowing the budget is very useful for this thread so we don't tell you things like "go buy a Husqvarna 701 SuperMoto."

The ST3 has a unique motor - as I understand it, it's basically the 1000DS motor with a cool 3-valve head. I think it's the only 3 valve head that Ducati has made. Mine's on Craigslist with a $3,600 asking price and no bites...

Tell us more about what you want to do with the new addition. Do you want a reliable commuter... something cool and different to tinker with... what?

That’s right where I’ve seen most ST3s priced.

i didn’t want to be too prescriptive with what I’m looking for so I didn’t limit people. You know I have a Greenie so pretty much the the epitome of good taste and humbleness. Other than the price point I wanted to be open. The odds of a Japanese bike catching my fancy is low but you never know, maybe someone has an RC30 they want to get rid of badly.

I'll second the EV11 recommendation as that's what I have in the garage (Greenie + EV). For those days when you want to just chill and cover miles without pain, it's hard to beat. And you still have that wonderful motor down there (not to mention the same brakes and a decent chassis) when you want to have fun. 

VT4L

• Thanks 1