Sold a bike, need another one

swooshdave

On 6/30/2019 at 8:21 AM, Scud said:

Dave - have you ever considered an Aprilia Tuono?  They catch my eye periodically and I think the older ones are reasonably priced.

Here's one near me:  a 2008 for $2,750 - needs tires and battery.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/d/wildomar-2008-aprila-tuono/6894426377.html

00p0p_amqPmUKbpS6_600x450.jpg

That a Rotax twin? For $2750? Gotta be a catch. If I had room in the garage I'd be all over that. 

So here's the thing:

I went and looked at a Norton Commando Combat basket case on Sunday. It's missing a bit of stuff and I don't want another project at this time. I want to buy something that ride now. While I could get the Norton at $1750 (a little high but it's a friend that needs a little help) it would be at least a year, probably more until it was on the road.

I called my brother back in NC and he's like, that's way too much for the basket case, why don't you just ship your old bike back and get it out of my garage? Um, because I never thought about that! We won't go into the technicalities of who owns that bike now, I "sold" it to my dad back in the 90s when I was young and needed money. I left it out there in NC with him. I think he rode it once or twice before getting tired of shifting on the wrong side and went back to his BMWs. Now my brother has it. So it's been out there and I would ride it when I visited. 

As for my brother he has a problem getting around his garage, built a shed and still doesn't have room. And yes, it's stuffed with bikes. So I can see why he would like some more room. And he has plenty of bikes for me to ride when I come out there.

So... for your amusement here is a picture from the early 90s when I got the bike. Please stifle your laughter. :ph34r:

Jxnhqmp.jpg

And here's the bike now, well from a couple years ago when we rode from NC to Barber. The engine has been rebuilt with some tasty bits and it's a lively one. It scoots. The rest is mostly original, although upgraded for the important things.

YjiaYwY.jpg

I just need to figure out how to get it to Oregon. I'm trying a couple shipping places but I'm open to suggestions. If I can ship for $500-1000 I'll be stoked. I have thought about riding it back, with the 6+ gallon tank it'll go a long further than I can.

Sorry it's not a Guzzi, Ducati or Aprilia, please forgive me. But I'm looking forward to having the old girl back.

• Like 4

This is so cool! An authentic Norton with family provenance. 😎

I propose a fly&ride&ship&fly

(South’n Spine Raid, baby!!) 

Just now, docc said:

This is so cool! An authentic Norton with family provenance. 😎

I propose a fly&ride&ship&fly

(South’n Spine Raid, baby!!) 

Between the Norton forum and this one I will hopefully avoid motels. Plus family in Nebraska...

Leaning against the fly and ride, too damn hot in the mid west in July or August for me.

22 hours ago, swooshdave said:

Sorry it's not a Guzzi, Ducati or Aprilia, please forgive me. But I'm looking forward to having the old girl back.

You are forgiven.  There are three most beautiful sport bikes in the universe.  In reverse order they are (IMHO) the Moto Guzzi V11, the Norton Commando, and the 70s Ducati 750 Sport in black and Duc yellow with the leading axle forks.  I feel lucky to have at least scored a V11.  Hope you get the Norton home safely and enjoy many miles on it.  :)  :race:

17 minutes ago, Nihontochicken said:

You are forgiven.  There are three most beautiful sport bikes in the universe.  In reverse order they are (IMHO) the Moto Guzzi V11, the Norton Commando, and the 70s Ducati 750 Sport in black and Duc yellow with the leading axle forks.  I feel lucky to have at least scored a V11.  Hope you get the Norton home safely and enjoy many miles on it.  :)  :race:

I'm having a hard time disagreeing with your list.

Have you checked Keyboard Shipping?  They are home based in Tenn.  I used them when I bought my LeMans and had it shipped from Houston, Tx., to Clearwater, Fl. If I recall it was just over $500.00.  

Their price was competitive but they offered zero deductible and a higher coverage amount.  

Jerry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gstallons said:

I've used Keyboard Carriage three times and they are fantastic !

Carriage or Carrier? Keyboard Carriage seems to do pianos.

Keyboard Carriage . They started hauling pianos . They move motorcycles too . You just tell them where the pick-up and delivery locations . they coordinate the moves so you have to be patient . You get better prices working with them this way . I met them when I picked up my bike . they were hauling some pricey bikes in their trailer . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Swanson said:

I have been impressed with Haulbikes

Haulbikes quote $699. They are the only real quote I’ve got. I’m ok with that rate if they can get it here before August.