Replacing all fasteners, is there a list?

JBBenson

I plan on doing this soon. Since you all are probably more obsessive I am, I'm looking for a list of sizes and counts of all hex-head bolts, so I can order them all at once.

I can, of course, estimate this myself, but looking for a shortcut......is there one?   :mg:

Scud? Docc?

3 minutes ago, ColdandWet said:

That’s not a bad price if it’s decent quality SS. Check with them to see if they have other sets.

I have asked the seller if they have, or can make, a complete set. Will advise.

1 hour ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Any concerns about fastener strength or stainless steel galling when using these fasteners to replace the painted/zinc steel OEM fasteners?

Only if you are going into the same metal. SS to SS and you better get your anti seize out as it has a higher risk. I don't think there is an SS on a V11 Sport.

https://www.fastenal.com/en/72/galling

• Thanks 1

Stainless Steel is a poor choice for fasteners on a motorcycle esp one that vibrates a bit. The material is too hard and so has minimal stretch which leads to loosening fasteners. they were made for the marine and building industries not for automotive use.

I hate the way passive cad plated steel fasteners dull after a while but I wouldnt go SS. The Daytona engine I have just completed and the gearbox I have apart on the bench have been converted to all Titanium external fasteners including the washers. I guess the engine cost around $230AU or so to do and the gearbox around $140AU. Ti fasteners dont weather, stay tight and look great for the life of the bike or car.

All my bikes have gradually morphed over to Titanium fasteners including the chassis bolts and nuts. The cost is up there I know but I think its worth the money in the long term.

Ciao   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, swooshdave said:

Only if you are going into the same metal. SS to SS and you better get your anti seize out as it has a higher risk. I don't think there is an SS on a V11 Sport.

https://www.fastenal.com/en/72/galling

Great link, very fascinating.

....I love Fastenal stores.  I can spend a long time browsing there.

13 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

All my bikes have gradually morphed over to Titanium fasteners

Heh, funny, I remember a few years ago you were giving me shit for using Ti fasteners, saying I was wasting my money. Good times!

3 hours ago, sp838 said:

Heh, funny, I remember a few years ago you were giving me shit for using Ti fasteners, saying I was wasting my money. Good times!

Really? Proof?

Ciao