Replacing all fasteners, is there a list?

JBBenson

5 hours ago, swooshdave said:

Putting Ti fasteners on a Guzzi to save weight is like having a Diet Coke and Rum. 

True, I dont think there would be much more than a kilo or so to be save if you replaced every bolt with a ti one on a V11. I use them for their ability to stay looking nice forever. The weight saving is just icing on the cake.

Here's the Titanium axle nuts I use on my bike. Next time I have the front wheel off I'll machine some thread off the front axle.

DSC00616.JPG  

DSC00615.JPG

Ciao

• Like 3

Da'gum. Here, I just replaced my axle nuts and totally missed the opportunity to say, "I have titanium nuts.B)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

True, I dont think there would be much more than a kilo or so to be save if you replaced every bolt with a ti one on a V11. I use them for their ability to stay looking nice forever. The weight saving is just icing on the cake.

Here's the Titanium axle nuts I use on my bike. Next time I have the front wheel off I'll machine some thread off the front axle.

DSC00616.JPG  

DSC00615.JPG

Ciao

Those look pretty cool.  I could only use the rear nuts since I have the Ducati front hollow axle, but am curious what size and where you sourced the rear axle nuts.

I agree that I don't think the point is saving weight, but instead replacing the corroding OEM fasteners... but not replacing them with something  that introduces a more significant mechanical problem.  So the Ti sound interesting. 

7 hours ago, al_roethlisberger said:

Those look pretty cool.  I could only use the rear nuts since I have the Ducati front hollow axle, but am curious what size and where you sourced the rear axle nuts.

I agree that I don't think the point is saving weight, but instead replacing the corroding OEM fasteners... but not replacing them with something  that introduces a more significant mechanical problem.  So the Ti sound interesting. 

The axle nuts are Probolt brand and I honestly cant remember what the sizes are, M20X1.5 or there abouts. I'll try and measure the size today if I can unless someone here beats me to it.   They aren't cheap but on flebay you can find cheaper options in plain flanged hex style.

Ciao

so... I just happened to find a 250-bolt kit for a 701 Husqvarna. It's by Fast Metric - you might contact the company to see if they know how to put a kit together for a V11.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250pc-HUSQVARNA-Bolt-Kit-for-701-ENDURO/152542811910?fits=Make%3AHusqvarna&hash=item2384429706:g:QesAAOSwrhBZDO2V

• 1 year later...

Just bought a V11 beauty and ready to show it all my love :rolleyes: This forum is a gold-mine of knowledge :notworthy:

Ti fasteners seems to be the thing. 

Any advice on where to buy them? And do they come in kits or suitable assortments?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jens said:

Just bought a V11 beauty and ready to show it all my love :rolleyes: This forum is a gold-mine of knowledge :notworthy:

Ti fasteners seems to be the thing. 

Any advice on where to buy them? And do they come in kits or suitable assortments?

Oh, boy ... a fastener thread!  I like those more than oil and tire fests.  :bike:

And. I somehow missed this thread in its original incarnation.

That said, having all sizes, types, etc., of all fasteners makes me -- almost certifiably OCD :grin: -- feel near normal.  :rolleyes:

While not sure, Jens (and congratulations on your new moto-acquisition! :mg:) about their OCONUS shipping co$t$, I have yet to have a need for any fastener that McMaster-Carr  doesn't have and can't get to me ... the next day without surcharge!  :notworthy:

Besides, what a great website.

If I were a better planner -- maybe in my next life :whistle: -- I can bundle my orders so I don't spend more for shipping than I do for the item.

Bill

• Like 1

Thanks Bill - the McMaster-Carr homepage is awesome! 

Will start to count fasteners and hopefully place an exhaustive order (yeah right!). I'll probably end up with too many fasteners or too many shipping fees - or both :lol:

Will give it a try. 

Thanks!

/Jens

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jens said:

Thanks Bill - the McMaster-Carr homepage is awesome! 

Will start to count fasteners and hopefully place an exhaustive order (yeah right!). I'll probably end up with too many fasteners or too many shipping fees - or both :lol:

Will give it a try. 

Thanks!

/Jens

Well, I was curious if M-C shipped to Europe.  It seems not.

At least three workarounds. 

1.  A possibly similar European counterpart or forwarding agent, e.g., 

3.  I would be happy to help if those other two don’t work after you look into them.  Not sure how inexpensive that would be as you’d be paying for M-C shipping to me then me to you plus whatever the customs leeches might charge.  Still, if you can’t source something there, let me know.  Kathi and I are likely going to Poland next year — not my choice, but it's her DNA :wub: — and then visiting my family near the Boden See, so if you can’t find by then, I’ll just bring more luggage.  :D

Best,

Bill

P.S.  Just got in set of fasteners today from M-C.  Got in a hurry and ordered the wrong size (M4 instead of M5’s in these, https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/127/3471/).  Not worth sending back, so I’ll bring those to you, too.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1