Black engine paint... :(

Guest Oliver

Guest Oliver

Hi Jaap,

I just want to add two additional information to this thread. For minor spots there is a touch-up paint available at the Moto Guzzi dealer.

For larger areas there are two solutions. In a very few cases, it it accepted to replace the "problem" engine housing in the frame of guarantee. It cases were you do not have a good and strict MG dealer ... you should use the shrinkle paint from Harley Davidson, sold in cans. If anybody knows, please post the partnumber.

Anyway ... the quality of the black paint ist very poor :angry:

If I could choose ... I'd prefer the "silver" engine. The difficulty in this is, that MG Italy ssems not to care about the customers.

Greetings from Hamburg, Germany

Hi,

I recently discovered that the black paint on the engine starts to bubble. When I checked a german Guzzi board I found that a lot of owners have the same problem with their Le Mans/Scura. How about you guys?

Guest v11eric

Yes, I've got the same, but when I scratch the blisters away it's still black. I know (seen on A factory tour at MG) that the housings are black when they come in as raw material, all the drilling and so on has to be done than. So I doubt if it is paint. I also tortured the housing with A steamcleaner to get it clean again and its still black everywere. Ill keep watching it but for sofar no concern

greetings Eric

01 V11 lemans :wacko:

Yep, on my bevel-box, there is a 4-inch section along the back edge that has no "wrinkle-coat" ... either chipped-off from the factory, or was never there in the first place... I have no idea. It was never there from when I picked up the bike. I guess just to add my voice to the other masses of customers, I should at least let my dealer know to send it in as a warrantee item. But I doubt I'll care to have it fixed.

But the finish underneath is a satin/flat black and unless you're looking for it, it's really not noticeable. If this is the finish that get's exposed(as opposed to silver aluminum) when the paint bubbles off here and there on the transmission and engine, I can live with that.

...I'd just hate to see big silver splotches start showing up as the "wrinkle-coat" sloughs off. :o

BTW, your local auto-parts store should have "wrinkle-coat" high-temperature black engine paint. It's relatively common. While this won't be the exact same stuff as the grainy sorta-sparkly Guzzi paint, it should do as a touch-up I would think.

al

hi all,

i just wrote a mail to mg germany concerning the bad quality of the black engine (sport naked 02).

hope and see...

regards

dirk

Guest Beniamino Vigo

I too have the "spotty" problem: it happens only on the hottest part of the engine, and the bubbles are greater on the upper side of it , under the fuel tank, where the heat conveys. On the other hand the gearbox and the shaft have still the shrink look. I've had the problem only partly fixed by the factory: they gave me the paint and it only reaches an even, smooth look to the finishing. A friend of mine had the engine substitution, but the problem still came unchanged on the new one.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest_LYL

Hi,

I just noticed that a big chunk of this black paint on the trasmission shaft housing near the right side of rear tire fell off. And, it looks like it will just continue as the moisture goes in between the paint and the aluminum. It is not a pleasant spot to look at with exposed aluminum. Really LOUSY paint job here.

LYL

• 2 years later...

My engine is still at the dealer for a repaint job. It should have been ready last week but all good things come to those who wait...I hope.

Søren

PS: Just purchased the Mistral oval CF cans, Mistral x-over, K&N filter and a PC III with relevant maps. My dealer, Italian Bike Store will make a dyno run in short time and the result will be posted here, of course :race:

Dave, you talk about "some bubbling". That was not the case (no pun intended) My engine case looked like a warthhog that spent his 3 week vacation on Miami Beach with no sun tan lotion.

Søren: that's exactly the same setup as I have! Should give you about 11 more hp at 8000 rpm and a very flat torque curve.

Søren: that's exactly the same setup as I have! Should give you about 11 more hp at 8000 rpm and a very flat torque curve.

43296[/snapback]

Cool ... I'm about to spend $2K and change on that setup as well so it's good to know that it will flatten out the curve plus some bonus horse power.

Yeehaah! 11 BHP to add + a flat curve! What more can you ask for (except a pay raise and a brand new Jaguar e -type.....)

Jaap, last man in Mandello pays the beers........ :bike:

Søren

PS: Purchased the goods from Agostini in Mandello and they know how to treat a customer. Hats off! :thumbsup:

PPS: Philbo, good luck with your bike. It could be fun to compare the various Dyno tests.