Oil Light On After Oil Change

Bob Hartman

This is a first for me.  Drained the oil, dropped the pan - including removal of oil line ('02 Le Mans), removed UFI filter, replaced with identical UFI filter, replaced cleaned pan, line and drain plug, filled with 3.5l of 20W-50.  Checked dipstick.  No leaks anywhere.  All good.

1/4 mile test run.  Noticed at the end of the driveway the red light on the dash and thought it was generator.  Nope, oil light.  Bright red. 

I did NOT fill the new filter with oil which, truthfully, I've never done before.  

Before finishing with this oil change, I changed the air filter and battery - so tank was off.  Could I have disturbed an electrical connection somewhere?

Thanks,

Bob

Oil pressure sensor is on the left, top, front of the engine block just above the cam/timing/phase sensor. Visually inspect, but  . . . .

The OEM UFI had serious gasket failure issues. As in: they won't stay tight.  Consider accessing the filter and feel if the oil filter spins off by hand.

Using alternative, quality filters is well advised along with tightening them 1 1/8 (one and one-eighth) turns after the oiled gasket makes contact. (Much tighter than I was taught to install filters "finger-tight" on American cars back in the day.)

• Like 1

Thanks docc,

A UFI filter came out after 6K miles (two changes) and I replaced it with one bought at the same time, most likely same batch so the hope is it's not an issue .  I install them two-hands tight after lubricating the gasket with engine oil. It's unlikely it spun itself off in a few seconds.  

My concern is whether (suddenly) it's an issue not to have primed the filter by filling it with oil.  

Bob

I have never seen an issue with (not) pre-filling the V11 filter.

There have been well documented issues with the UFI gasket failures and under-tightening.

Seriously, tightening 1 1/8 turn past contact is not something I made up. Look at Ryland3210's research and test methods to assess this known issue.  My WIX filter goes on WAY tighter than I would have thought. Torqued on.

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9670-oil-filter-loosening-info/

Should you still have the old one, check whether it has the sealing ring still on it. If not, you've probably two under the new one. One pops out and the light comes on. That happens more often then UFI delivers unusable filters.

• Thanks 1

I am quite new to guzzis and when I did a oil /filter change after I got my 03 sport I had read all the stuff on oil filters and torqued mine to 20nm, this was printed on the filter, supplied by gutsibits in the uk, my Yamaha (sorry) filter is only 10nm. just a thought.

Of course it's possible that you knocked the pressure sender wire loose, and it's grounding out.. but I'm betting on Luhbo's 2 gasket issue. Don't worry about not pre filling the filter. That really makes no difference. There are many old wives around, and this is one of their tales..:D

12 hours ago, Bob Hartman said:

This is a first for me.  Drained the oil, dropped the pan - including removal of oil line ('02 Le Mans), removed UFI filter, replaced with identical UFI filter, replaced cleaned pan, line and drain plug, filled with 3.5l of 20W-50.  Checked dipstick.  No leaks anywhere.  All good.

1/4 mile test run.  Noticed at the end of the driveway the red light on the dash and thought it was generator.  Nope, oil light.  Bright red. 

I did NOT fill the new filter with oil which, truthfully, I've never done before.  

Before finishing with this oil change, I changed the air filter and battery - so tank was off.  Could I have disturbed an electrical connection somewhere?

Thanks,

Bob

You need to be sure of what your problem is before riding this bike .

Even taking the pan off, its easy enough to miss the filter gasket stuck in place.It has happened to me 

twice. After the second time it has become part of the oil change routine.

Old filter off...w/ gasket-  no   -reach up and pull old gasket off....continue w/ oil change ...

I do put a bit of oil in the new filter though....i forget which wife told me that:lol:

• Like 1

Update:  All sorted.  Not sure why.

Checked the old filter, which still had its seal.  I thought that was a good suggestion.  Drained the oil and dropped the pan again.  The new UFI filter looked fine; tight to spec and, once removed, had its seal.  Nothing was stuck around where it meets the block.  Nothing was blocking the oil pickup or return.  But the filter was empty - it had not filled during my little 1/4 mile test ride.  Not sure how this could be the filter's fault.

Installed a shiny, blue ST3614 - but I filled it with 20w-50 first.  Put everything else back the same way I did yesterday.  Started the bike and the oil light went out almost before it came on.  Went for a storming great ride around Guilford, Higganum, Haddam and Chester.  No lights, no problems, no clue.

All I can think of is there was a bubble in the system that wasn't allowing oil to flow - at least during my little test.  Other than catastrophic pump failure (only $24K miles on this bike), I haven't heard of another reason why this would happen.   I will now listen to old wives (just don't tell mine).

Bob 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob Hartman said:

Update:  All sorted.  Not sure why.

Checked the old filter, which still had its seal.  I thought that was a good suggestion.  Drained the oil and dropped the pan again.  The new UFI filter looked fine; tight to spec and, once removed, had its seal.  Nothing was stuck around where it meets the block.  Nothing was blocking the oil pickup or return.  But the filter was empty - it had not filled during my little 1/4 mile test ride.  Not sure how this could be the filter's fault.

Installed a shiny, blue ST3614 - but I filled it with 20w-50 first.  Put everything else back the same way I did yesterday.  Started the bike and the oil light went out almost before it came on.  Went for a storming great ride around Guilford, Higganum, Haddam and Chester.  No lights, no problems, no clue.

All I can think of is there was a bubble in the system that wasn't allowing oil to flow - at least during my little test.  Other than catastrophic pump failure (only $24K miles on this bike), I haven't heard of another reason why this would happen.   I will now listen to old wives (just don't tell mine).

Bob 

Oil pump air lock, happens sometimes but pretty rare.

How long did you have the pan off for?

im not a big fan of letting the oil drain for lengthy periods or pulling the pan as it just increases the likely hood of oil in the pickup tube and pump also draining out and the pump losing its prime.

ciao

• Like 1

Pan was off just long enough to clean it.  

I dislike dropping the pan but it's the best way to look for issues.  If I ever find the filter door nut and filter wrench bought before our last move they will be pressed into service every other change.

55 minutes ago, Bob Hartman said:

Pan was off just long enough to clean it.  

I dislike dropping the pan but it's the best way to look for issues.  If I ever find the filter door nut and filter wrench bought before our last move they will be pressed into service every other change.

You can use your 27mm axle nut for that duty, bud . . .