Left sylinder running lean

Tomchri

Is it certain my left injector is a little clogged ??

She is running all good, from idling too full speed.    That said, my Greenie is like a bomb, compared to the Rosso Corsa.    I have a feeling there is another cam in the Greenie. :rasta:  :grin:.      I have 8liter of moonshine,,,, from way back, so will feed her with some of the jungle juice  :food:

AFC is one turn out,,,,         thought I had a small exhaust leak at the head,, that could cause heat, no not that.    Anyone with this experience?

Cheers tom.

20 minutes ago, footgoose said:

TB balance port nipple cap missing/rotted? In any case I would try the "spray something flammable" on the intake rubber bits method, to see if any air leaks

Intake rubbers less than a year old. No nipples , just bolts on the balance holes,  and no misfiring when running.

cheers tom.

If you have an IR camera or temp gun , run your bike down the road & back . Check temps at the exhaust pipes and see how close the temps are . I have temp guns and an IR camera .The camera is GREAT !

6 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

How do you know its running lean on one cylinder?

Ciao

When taking of the headers,  looking into left head,  all very white ( light color ) and right head is black compared to the left.  Will try to borrow a Fluke temp gun today like GS mentioned.

Cheers tom.

You have it disassembled , when you get it together , start it up and use a mechanic's stethoscope and see if both injectors "click" the same ?

Thanks for advices, will report back.

cheers tom.

3 hours ago, gstallons said:

You have it disassembled , when you get it together , start it up and use a mechanic's stethoscope and see if both injectors "click" the same ?

Good luck with that, the injector pulse duration at idle is probably only a couple of milliseconds. A Ducati 888 is 12.43 milliseconds at 7000 rpm peak torque.

Ciao

After 150.000 km I noticed the same picture on my bike: one header black, the other one white. I pulled the injectors, activated the pump, then applied 12V to the injectors for 10 seconds and measured what they delivered. The difference was significant.

I don't think it was a matter of clogging, in fact it's more likely that one was badly worn (nozzle hole to big) or that they weren't matched right from the beginning. Anyway, I swapped them against a different and much better matched pair, had both ports the same colour - and felt exactly no difference on the road. Even the fuel consumption was the same.

After 150.000 km I noticed the same picture on my bike: one header black, the other one white. I pulled the injectors, activated the pump, then applied 12V to the injectors for 10 seconds and measured what they delivered. The difference was significant.
I don't think it was a matter of clogging, in fact it's more likely that one was badly worn (nozzle hole to big) or that they weren't matched right from the beginning. Anyway, I swapped them against a different and much better matched pair, had both ports the same colour - and felt exactly no difference on the road. Even the fuel consumption was the same.
Mine has 56000km, and she might have been like this for a while. Dont want to burn a valve or.
My jungle juice will probably not cure this.
Another Injektor seems more likely.
Thanks for the inputs.
Cheers tom. 337305231914bb07491d4b0cf05b6aa0.jpg553f1012991618eed0089b5bc5e71639.jpg289a7e1465c580d0e5c0edc0b6b7a6f7.jpg7de2e0bd848712cf2ab3d64eaa7a84e5.jpg44ff21e2fd656de4b4df4f251b5dc6a1.jpg0d5ea56c65fcee7e79ebeac4c42eb7a6.jpg

Sent fra min SM-G903F via Tapatalk

The light one looks right, I would want it even lighter, going for white. The other one is sooty, surely not ok. Directly behind the outlet valve I wouldn't want any carbon residues at all. Being an outlet valve should be no fun.

It also looks as if the gasket on the right cylinder was blowing

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, luhbo said:

The light one looks right, I would want it even lighter, going for white. The other one is sooty, surely not ok. Directly behind the outlet valve I wouldn't want any carbon residues at all. Being an outlet valve should be no fun.

It also looks as if the gasket on the right cylinder was blowing

Just finished swapping one injector and out for a test, she runs the same way. New exhaust gaskets.  Checked the balance, perfect.  I'm probably in for changing the sooty one to  :homer:      Gentle gentle getting those tiny bolts out.    Now it's IPA time.

cheers tom 

If you want to clean and backflush your injectors, I could post a little kit to you. (so long as you send it back).

The kit is a bit crude, but allows you to flush forward and reverse through the injectors. It can't help if you have worn or mismatched injectors, as mentioned by Luhbo. Those injector retaining screws were fitted with locktite so I drilled off the heads and then got new screws. 

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18805-brand-new-scura/&do=findComment&comment=215317

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20282-fuel-injector-cleaner-yea-or-nea/&do=findComment&comment=229694

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MartyNZ said:

If you want to clean and backflush your injectors, I could post a little kit to you. (so long as you send it back).

The kit is a bit crude, but allows you to flush forward and reverse through the injectors. It can't help if you have worn or mismatched injectors, as mentioned by Luhbo. Those injector retaining screws were fitted with locktite so I drilled off the heads and then got new screws. 

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18805-brand-new-scura/&do=findComment&comment=215317

https://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20282-fuel-injector-cleaner-yea-or-nea/&do=findComment&comment=229694

Another Guzzisty friendship story. Yes please.   The colors on the pictures doesn't show correct, lighting issues.  I thought she was to lean, she is more white than showing.   My mistake, right injector needs help. And if possible to do it when it's installed, good.

Didnt show a brand name on the rattle can ?

Name and adr next?

Cheers tom.