Weeping oil from gear selector cover

sp838

So, lately while riding my neutral light has been blinking out, flickering, displaying weakly, then coming back full brightness, then going out again, without any apparent reason. Wiggling the gear lever sometimes brings it back, sometimes doesn't. Then it comes back again on its own. This is annoying, but I have a good feel for the bike's shifting so not really a big deal, I can find neutral without it. Figured I'd eventually get in there and figure it out when I had a moment. Today I thought I'd take a look down there, not to take anything apart but just take a peek to see if there was anything visibly wrong, like the connector being loose. Lo and behold, there is a good amount of oil weeping out of the hole right above it, where it seems like one of the selector wheels is housed on the other side. Didn't have time to do anything about it, just snapped a photo and muttered some curses. Anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what it might be? Mine is an early 01 model. I redid the selector assembly with the updated spring first thing when I bought the bike about six years ago...

large.DD2D7F13-0977-47A8-BA0F-715669EDC76B.jpeg

large.559535954_ScreenShot2019-07-09at3_00_49PM.png

you can search around here for fixes. Several different ways to go about it.

Something about a dime being the perfect fit. I cleaned mine up, made sure it was dry and the glued the dime in there 

with gasket sealant .....same thing you used on the cover after your spring upgrade

andy

• Like 2

Hah! So this is a common thing then. That's a bit of a relief. I like the idea of gluing a dime over it, very retro lol

This axle is loose, so you'd better fix it, do not just close this hole.

It's basically the same procedure as for the spring. Cover off, lower wheel off, axle out, clean shaft and hole. Then apply strong Loctite and put the axle back into its seat, wait half an hour, reassemble the rest and put the cover back on the housing. Don't forget to change the neutral switch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, luhbo said:

It's basically the same procedure as for the spring. Cover off, lower wheel off, axle out, clean shaft and hole. Then apply strong Loctite and put the axle back into its seat, wait half an hour, reassemble the rest and put the cover back on the housing. Don't forget to change the neutral switch.

+1

Ciao

1 hour ago, luhbo said:

:grin:or you can do this again.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, andy york said:

:grin:or you can do this again.

I think I might just keep an eye on it and wait until the off season. 

I've had this as well, the press-fit axle changed into a loose fit, causing the axle/shaft to rotate and leak oil.

I've fixed it two years ago by extensively degreasing it and then glued it into place using a commercial two-component epoxy-based metal glue.

Tried it before with liquid gasket sealant, did not hold as the shaft experiences some degree of torque when shifting, so the sealang broke again.