fuel level

andy york

Anyone have ideas on how to check fuel level sender and idiot light?

Was wondering if you could apply some small voltage to the pins on the connector and make the lamp glow ?

The idea sounds easier than stripping the fairing off to gain access to the instruments.....maybe not ?

Or   Ohm Meter the pins on the connector going into the harness..

after sitting under the overpass for awhile...I remembered Docc's bit about trapped fuel.

Leaned it over to the left as far as I could hold it....after I recovered :blink: she fired up long enough to get off the slab

and into the fuel station

• Haha 1

Pulling off the lead and grounding it will test the bulb. Uh.. with the key on. :ph34r:

Checking resistance between the two wires on the sensor will show *some* on a good one, probably open on a failed one. It's a thermistor, and resistance varies with temperature.

I wish this was a component that could be upgraded...

Which actually reminds me, been meaning to ask: how much available fuel is theoretically left in the tank when the light goes on?

:lol: I don't think there is a real definitive answer. Docc probably is close back when he "figured it ".

Tank swell, your sending unit, being the biggest variables I see. Then there is the

acceleration / braking factor...I recall braking could bring the light on and accelerating could turn it off -

for awhile. Been awhile since i have seen "the light" since it appears my bulb is blown.

I reckon thats not all thats blown with me:grin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sp838 said:

I wish this was a component that could be upgraded...

Which actually reminds me, been meaning to ask: how much available fuel is theoretically left in the tank when the light goes on?

Oh, boy! I think I have a winner! 😜

23 hours ago, docc said:

Oh, boy! I think I have a winner! 😜

@sp838, I misread your question. That thread speaks to how much fuel may be trapped in (early) tanks as they sputter out. Ignoring the trapped fuel, it is common for low fuel lights to come on with about 0.8 +/- 0.1 US gallons available while riding level ground at steady throttle and not leaning.

Riding downhill, leaning right, braking, or going light on the throttle (pitching forward) all may contribute to starving the left side/rear mounted petcock. Hence why, in the event you sputter out, a "deep tip-slosh to the left may give you enough fuel to get down the road a piece. Don't be timid with the throttle trying to conserve fuel. That just returns it to the right side trap.

• Like 1

How about on the later model tanks with internal pumps on the right side? That's what I'm running on mine. I ran it out of gas once, luckily only about thirty yards from a gas station. 

I don't have experience running the later tanks sputtered-out like I have my 2000 Sport tank.  :o  Yet the pick up (petcock) location and saddle shape should lend it to a similar fuel trap on the right and similar "tip-slosh" roadside assistance method, I would think.

When does the light come on in an internal pump/filter V11 tank? And how much accessible fuel remains? Good questions . . .  :nerd:

One of the things that I used to find annoying on my cb350 is the crossover tube linking both sides of the tank. It would make it really messy to remove the tank without spilling gas everywhere. Until I discovered Goodridge makes really nice stainless steel quick disconnects for fuel lines. Now thinking the v11 tank would really benefit from a crossover line in the same place... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

I'm curious Andy, how many miles did you get before the bike sputtered to a stop?  The farthest I have gone before stopping to top off has been 140 miles and the low fuel light had not come on.

Jerry

well ....I don't really know. I usually reset the trip meter every time I fill up.

This time I used some non-e gas I had at homeland did not fill up all the way.

I reckon I forgot a few trips.

As I recall, first glow was usually around 160 miles. 36 to 40 mpg is average for me. 

I think 32 is the worst  and 45 is about the best 

9 hours ago, andy york said:

well ....I don't really know. I usually reset the trip meter every time I fill up.

This time I used some non-e gas I had at homeland did not fill up all the way.

I reckon I forgot a few trips.

As I recall, first glow was usually around 160 miles. 36 to 40 mpg is average for me. 

I think 32 is the worst  and 45 is about the best 

That sounds like the Mighty Scura. The light starts coming on around 160-165 miles. There is a little less than a gallon useable at that point.

• Thanks 1

I have been keeping track of my mileage and have been getting consistently 36-41mpg riding here in North Georgia Mountains. The inside of my exhaust cans looks pretty dark leading me to think I might be running on the rich side.  I usually top off the tank when I get around 120 miles showing on the trip meter and it takes around 3.7 gallons. The " low fuel light" has yet to come on.  I am very fortunate there are several stations in the area who sell non-Ethanol gas so that is all I have used for several years now trying to avoid a swollen tank problems.