Clutch problems

Dadparent

I already had 2 V11 lemans 2002 resp 2004 with the same clutchproblem. Both slipped and both had very sticky stuff inside the splines of the clutch It looks like a mixture of clutch residue and oil. But the crankcase/clutch environment had a greasy face but not full with oil. So I don’t think it is the cranckcaseseale. But the question is “ what else can it be?”

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

If memory (from two years ago) serves, there are eight leak sources in the clutch space. Let me find references for you . . .

• Thanks 1

So, yes: eight leak sources in the "bell housing" (clutch space): gearbox input shaft seal, clutch pushrod seal (gear oil leaks), rear main seal (rare), rear cam "bung", two lower main bearing carrier bolts (common leaks), gasket under the crankcase vent flange, and gasket under the main bearing carrier.

Oil can also leak down onto the clutch from the crankcase vent oil return line fastened above the engine-gearbox junction.

IMG_2704.JPG

Just a (strong) suggestion, but anyone that separates the gearbox and engine really should carefully inspect the "Safety Washer" that stakes the gearbox input hub. Mine was faulty from the factory and failed. (Not leak related, just "best practice" to inspect this potential failure point while it is accessible) . . .

IMG_2577.jpg

Thank you all very much for the involved answers This must be helpful to find the definitive solution. IMG_2609.jpg. Now it is something like this. By the way one disk was completely ruined. The Hart was taken out. Interested in pictures of that? And is there a clutch wich is the best? I now ordered by Stein Dinse (gu) 200033302 . The gu is for the original Guzzi number. Dinse don’t use that.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

Oil will get inside the clutch only through a loose input hub in combination with a worn or otherwise damaged O-ring on the input shaft (or inside the hub, as you like it). 

What you have here can also be the result of someone having greased the splines, hoping to reduce wear on them.

You should find only red rusty dust inside the clutch, and more or less worn splines.

Here is one moreIMG_2606.jpg. I will take off the flywheel after this weekend and send a picture of that area

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

If you pull the flywheel off, make sure you note the orientation. There are timing makes stamped on the flywheel that 

you may one day want to locate. It is very helpful when you locate the marks they are in the correct position:o

andy

Edited by andy york
spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...