Mikko

Interest in factory Ohlins Fork from '02 Scura

Hello,

Part of my upgrade/modification plan calls for radial brakes. I've been round and round trying to source radial fork bottoms. I decided to buy a set of Ohlins Ducati Diavel forks and Brembo Stylema Calipers! They are already Scura-esq being all black and slightly bigger at 48mm. I'll have my original Scura forks and triple clamps available. What are they worth? They will be serviced by the Ohlins center in a couple weeks. Let me know if you are interested in them.

ohlins forks.jpg

2019-Aprilia-RSV4-1100-Factory-3-696x522.jpg

I wouldn't be interested in ABS or any traction/wheelie crutch on today's bikes. I ran high horsepower bikes and if you grabbed a bit too much..then that could be your ass plain and simple. I think a lot of it is technology for technologies sake. The 20-40 extra horsepower on a new superbike compared to the 170-190 horsepower on my old bike, don't seem that much of a delta for all this electronic black magic. Just so a guy without the skill set needed can ignorantly pin the throttle and mamma bike will keep her baby cozy and warm...

This project is about reducing weight, I'm still toying with the idea of binning the fuel injection and all the extra weight/complexity of that with a pair of carburetors. Thankfully, the V11 was built with plenty of meat for carving. One reason i love the last of the original Guzzi bikes. Randy and I have a very similar design mindset and we don't wan't to change the look of the bike. Just improve it with better materials. The Diaval's with the optional racing fork extension brings the total length to 775mm the V11 Ohlins are 772mm. Perfect!

so, what are those Olin’s worth?

i’ve noodled the idea of upgrading my front end on the ‘02 lemans, but don’t know yet what that would mean.  Just know i’m Not loving the current suspension up front.

I’d say $2,000 + shipping/insurance. That would include pretty much the whole front end. Forks/clamps/brakes/wheel/disks/SS lines

• Like 1

Ouch. Will probably have to figure out how to improve my current setup then.

I don’t disagree.

If you do not want to bit the bullet on Ohlins, Rework your stock Marzocchi.

A lot can be improved just by setting the forks up for you. I don't remember exactly who the Lemans was set 

up for, but it was probably a 140 LB Italian. Since I'm pushing 225 and had luggage on my Lemans, the stock springs 

and fluid we not getting the job done. Now days you may even be able to get a cartridge kit for the Marz forks. Make some inquires 

at a reputable suspension shop.

• Like 1

I have put Wilbers on a couple of bikes, with great result. I probably will put that on my Greenie this winther. I think 2000$ is a fair price,,,,  but shipping and importdutys will kill the deal for me.   I do think the Øhlins suspension on my Rosso Corsa is way better than my Greenie.

Friday gents,,, IPA time.

Cheers tom     :mg:

1 hour ago, andy york said:

If you do not want to bit the bullet on Ohlins, Rework your stock Marzocchi.

A lot can be improved just by setting the forks up for you. I don't remember exactly who the Lemans was set 

up for, but it was probably a 140 LB Italian. Since I'm pushing 225 and had luggage on my Lemans, the stock springs 

and fluid we not getting the job done. Now days you may even be able to get a cartridge kit for the Marz forks. Make some inquires 

at a reputable suspension shop.

Gotta find a good local suspension shop.  Had A shop called GP something-or-other here a while back, and he did good work on my old ST4, but don’t know who’s good around here (portland) these days.  An old guzzi dealer messed up the forks on this lemans some years back.... bad deal, and a lesson in what not to do.

8 hours ago, Tomchri said:

I have put Wilbers on a couple of bikes, with great result. I probably will put that on my Greenie this winther. I think 2000$ is a fair price,,,,  but shipping and importdutys will kill the deal for me.   I do think the Øhlins suspension on my Rosso Corsa is way better than my Greenie.

Friday gents,,, IPA time.

Cheers tom     :mg:

My bike has a fully adjustable custom made Wilbers shock with hydraulic ride height adjustment. I have experience or owned Wilbers, Production Ohlins, Race ohlins, Pensky, Marzocchi and Japanese suspension and I consider the Wilbers quality and performance to be a lot better than the production Ohlins but a fraction below the Race spec Ohlins and Pensky.  

The production spec OEM  Ohlins suspension isn't particularly outstanding, it was just a bit better than the Japanese suspension of the day. Serious Ducati people used to buy the std spec bike without the Ohlins and upgrade to the proper TTX shock and FGRT forks. No reason to pay the Ohlins premium when you were going to ditch them anyway.

I of course paid for the road spec Ohlins then upgraded to the race stuff because I'm not too smart. A set of FGRT Ohlins forks would be nice on the front of the V11.  

Ciao   

It is a bit expensive, but you would be getting more then a pair of unknown quality eBay forks. The clamps brakes and disks, front wheel, stainless lines. An enterprising person could pick the best out of what they have and received, sell the rest and recoup a portion of the monies paid. These forks are in good shape, don't leak oil..appear to be straight, no nicks, gouges or other flaws. Could use a fresh anodizing of the outer tubes..other then that they are pretty spiffy.

On 8/8/2019 at 9:54 PM, Gmc28 said:

Ouch. Will probably have to figure out how to improve my current setup then.

You are not that far away from Racetech However, once you get done rebuilding what you have...you may not be far off from spending a couple grand. Very seldom do parts that actually improve things seem to be available for realistic prices. There is always a premium for that stuff. 

For what it's worth Racetech quoted me approximately $900 to re work the Marzocchi's, a couple of months ago. That would be gold valves, seals, oil, & springs. Then shipping added on.

• Thanks 1